Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Nas album

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭2-ShortDa5foot5

The supposedly epic masterpiece Streets Disciple was a heap of sh1t in my opinion so won't be picking up this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I didn't like Streets Disciple, but I fail to see how that album has anything to do with his new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

because hes going down hill. Same way that I wont be buying the next Eminem album because the last few were a load of commercially aimed tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Jay Ru

not to sure what to think bout this album tbh, will def have a listen but i don't really think it going to be that good. i thinks nas' is far from his best these day, he's done 2 colabo's with Jay Z since signing to Def Jam and Hov has murdered him both times.

Jay-Z has released mainly ****e for this decade, and yet American Gangster was one of his best albums.

Mobb Deep released mainly ****e this decade, and yet Prodigy's last two albums were undeniably dope.

So condemning Nas newest before you've even heard it because his last two albums sucked seems rather retarded. Arguably Nas is due and the new tracks I've heard sound pretty decent.

• Advertisement

i'm not condeming the album, i'm just not the optimistic that it will be that good. i'll just have to wait and see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭phenomenon

Wow just watched the Be a Ni***r Too video and I must say its got me excited about the new album. It seems like Nas is trying to bulid himself up as a black community leader, hes talking about some deep ****. Did yas pick up on the "25th hour" reference when hes lookin in the mirror and tells his reflection to **** himself lol? Great film.

One question tho: What TV station will give the video airtime? Not only is the content a bit dodgy but its over 8 mins long!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The be a n-word video is epic. also from the n-word mixtape "hero" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oFigh_kQMM. its an absolute banger!

Its never going to get air time, 'Be A ****** Too' is the street single, 'Hero' is the commercial or 'proper' first single.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Quite interested in hearing this, although his last 2 albums were nothing special at all. Some tracks off Streets Disciple were ok, but I think he made a bad decision to split it over 2 discs when there was less than enough quality tracks to warrant 1 disc. I can't see the vids linked (in work :(). What kind of style is he going back to? Any hints of a return to form like Illmatic??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I thought the video and concept was absolute garbage, looks like there was some idiot hired to splice 3 different pieces of footage together.

As far as the song itself goes, its average, no new ground broken production-wise or lyrically. Queen Latifah done a better version of this with U.N.I.T.Y.! ..... i know its about women but i'm refering to the equality side of things ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I quite like Hero... I'm (probably overly optomistically) looking forward to the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Neecod

Excited to hear this new album. As for the comment that about Jay Z, well he is average compared to Nas and he bites alot http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=RqScH2CfYTg (Biggie and Big L for example), also Nas verbally outshines him on both their collaborations and disses him in success. Streets Disciple was weak over two cds though, should've just made one album outta it. Still you have to be excited about a new Nas album. Can see that the concept will be hard to swallow for alot. Can't really compare it to Queen Latifah in fairness.

Neecod wrote: »
    Excited to hear this new album. As for the comment that about Jay Z, well he is average compared to Nas and he bites alot http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=RqScH2CfYTg (Biggie and Big L for example), also Nas verbally outshines him on both their collaborations and disses him in success. Streets Disciple was weak over two cds though, should've just made one album outta it. Still you have to be excited about a new Nas album. Can see that the concept will be hard to swallow for alot. Can't really compare it to Queen Latifah in fairness.

Prove it, cus with lines like "google earth, nas got flats in other continents" wasn't one of his Nas' finest line. and for and average rapper Jay Z seems to be doing very well for himself. Nas released one CLASSIC album thats it, theres been some wicked tracks over the years but none of his follow up albums never reached the succuss of Illmatic, whether it was sales or acclaim. Hov's first album was classic material, then theres Blueprint and The Black Album and although it ain't classic material yet American Gangster is as good if not better than an album Nas has released since his first opus. i think the difference between Nas and Jay is down to marketability and promotion, Nas never had any good promotion while he was on Sony and Def Jam helped push Jigga to where he is now. i mean how many Nas singles or guest appearances do u hear on regular radio stations or music tv channels? now how many times have u heard Jiggas singles or guest appearances. Nas still might be a better rapper than Jay but he's yet to prove it in my opinion. with all that said is the new album out yet?

and bout calling Jay Z a biter, theres not a rapper out there who doesn't borrow raps and flows.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Neecod

Yeah I agree that Illmatic will never be surpassed. But his other albums aren't as bad as some people make out. That album was never going to be repeated so he got backlash from that alone. Also you're right about the marketing side of things. Jay z knows who to collab with and has also been on the pulse of the radio friendly scene i.e rhianna. Even his knew single a billi which he takes from Lil wayne(or garbage as he should be known). But lyrically I prefer Nas. Just the way he spits a verse compared to Jay z. Nas has always had his own style. Jay zs has changed over the years and in fairness he has put out some good stuff especially the acoustic thing he did. I have American Gangster and for me it's the best lyrics his come with since blueprint. I still prefer Nas and I think this album will be big. Ramble over:)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Nas To Release "Untitled" New LP On July 15th
    Surrounded by controversy at every stage of his long and influential career as the conscience – and often most severe critic – of hip-hop, Def Jam Recordings artist Nas has returned to the headlines, declaring that his new 9th album, arriving in stores July 15th, will be untitled. The untitled new album follows-up Nas’ Def Jam debut, the Grammy nominated Hip-Hop Is Dead, which entered the Soundscan chart at #1 in December 2006, on first week sales of more than 350,000 copies.
    “It’s important to me that this album gets to the fans,” Nas said of his newest project. “It’s been a long time coming. I want my fans to know that creatively and lyrically, they can expect the same content and the same messages. It’s that important. The streets have been waiting for this for a long time. The people will always know what the real title of this album is and what to call it.”
    In advance of the untitled new album, which will be issued on the Def Jam/Jones Experience imprint, the first official single will be “Hero,” produced by Polow Da Don.
    Over the past few weeks, two tracks from the album have been leaked: “Black President” (produced by DJ Green Lantern) and the album’s closing track “N.I.G.G.E.R. (The Slave and The Master)” (produced by DJ Toomp), containing the provocative lyric, “They say we N-I-double-G-E-R/ We are, much more/ But still we choose to ignore the obvious/ Man, this history don’t acknowledge us/ We were scholars way before colleges…”
    One of the albums highlights is “Fried Chicken” featuring Busta Rhymes, produced by the Grammy winner for Producer Of The Year, Mark Ronson. “Fried Chicken,” finds Nas and Busta in top form, mixing elaborate metaphors over a decidedly throwback Ronson track. “When I was young, sitting in my room hammering out beats on my MPC, Nas was one of those truly legendary artists that you daydream, ‘One day, I'll get to do a track for...,’” says Ronson. “We finally met Grammy night in LA, and he said he wanted some stuff from me for the album. I started thinking to myself, as a Nas fan, ‘What kind of beats would I love to hear him over?’ That's how the Dapkings and I came up with the track for ‘Fried Chicken’, and I reckon it sounds like a stone cold classic.”
    The untitled new album will also include collaborations with producers Stic.Man from Dead Prez, Jay Electronica, Stargate, DJ Cool & Dre, and others.
    Hip-Hop Is Dead, the third album by Nas to enter the charts at #1, got started with the lead title track single “Hip-Hop Is Dead,” produced and co-written by and featuring will.i.am. of Black Eyed Peas. The cut (which sampled ’60s hits “Apache” and “In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida”) made it inside the Top 40 on the Hot 100, Pop 100, Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs, Hot Rap Tracks, and Hot Digital Songs charts. It was followed-up with “Can’t Forget About You,” featuring fellow Def Jam artist Chrisette Michelle, a jazz inspired Top 10 Rap track also produced by will.i.am, that riffed off a sample from the classic “Unforgettable” by Nat King Cole.
    Time Out New York stepped out early in January 2007, and picked Hip-Hop Is Dead as “rap record of the year.” Pitchfork’s reviewer called it “the album I’ll give to people in 20 years when they ask who Nas was.” The album release set up the “One Man, One Mic, One Night” 26-city North American tour, one of the biggest ever by Nas, from March through May 2007. (Press Release)
    Interesting reading

The advance of Nas' new album has leaked.

Here is the tracklisting.
    1. (00:02:16) Nas - Queens Get The Money
    2. (00:03:09) Nas - You Can't Stop Us Now (Feat. Eban Thomas)
    3. (00:03:38) Nas - Breathe
    4. (00:03:18) Nas - Middle Finger (feat. David Banner)
    5. (00:04:04) Nas - Hero
    6. (00:05:16) Nas - Association (feat. stic man)
    7. (00:04:03) Nas - Sly Fox
    8. (00:02:50) Nas - Testify
    9. (00:04:36) Nas - N.I.G.G.E.R. (The Slave & The Master)
    10. (00:01:37) Nas - ****** Hatred
    11. (00:03:16) Nas - Be A ****** Too
    12. (00:02:50) Nas - Fried Chicken (Featuring Busta Rhymes)
    13. (00:03:53) Nas - Esco Lets Go (Prod. By DJ Khalil)
    14. (00:04:20) Nas - I'm On (feat. Cool)
    15. (00:05:44) Nas - We're Not Alone
    16. (00:04:54) Nas - Black President
    17. (00:04:17) Nas - Smokin'
    18. (00:02:27) Nas - War Is Necessary

Will give a couple of listens and post what I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Will check it out.

War Is Necessary is on the GTA IV soundtrack, I'm not a big fan of it. It's actually quite an annoying track in my opinion.

I like the track, although its not on the album as far as I understand. What exactly is going to be on the album I'm not sure (there is a tracklisting on Wikipedia), but I doubt half of the above advance will be there.

The finsihed version has leaked now. Final tracklist...
    01. Queens Get the money
    02. You Can't Stop Us Now (Feat. Eban Thomas of The Stylistics & The Last Poets)
    03. Breathe
    04. Make the World Go Round (Feat. Chris Brown & The Game)
    05. Hero (Feat. Keri Hilson)
    06. America
    07. Sly Fox
    08. Testify
    09. N.I.G.G.E.R. (The Slave and the Master)
    10. Louis Farrakhan
    11. Fried Chicken (Feat. Busta Rhymes)
    12. Project Roach (Feat. The Last Poets)
    13. Ya’ll My Niggas
    14. We’re Not Alone (Feat. Mykel)
    15. Black President

Just listening to it now. It starts slow enough, opening three tracks aren't bad but aren't very memorable and are suprisingly laidback. 'Make The World Go Round' and 'Hero' come straight after, both sound like singles. I don't really like the beats on either, but Nas is flowing strong and the hooks are good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

downloaded it last night.

its a lot better than Hip Hop is dead.(nas`s weakest album to date)

i think nas went downhill when left sony/columbia

but this album is banging.

Hero is ****n savage

'Bangin' is definetly not the word I would use to describe the album, there isn't a banger in sight as far as I can tell. Once again, Nas' choice in beats is off, the likes of stic.man, cool n dre, Salaam Remi really aren't good enough.

It is better then HHID in that its more consistent and follows a particular theme from start to finish but the songs just aren't there. Very average album.

Lyrically it' pretty solid, nothing outstanding. I mean I don't think we'll ever get another Lost Tapes/Illmatic out of Nas production wise or lyrics wise.

It feels like another in a long line of meh albums from him though. Where as Stillmatic and God's Son looked like he might have gotten over his slump I think it was just a case of a last hurrah. Maybe he should just take some time off and the put some serious work into an album, give it a couple of years and get some better producers.

HHID isn't his worst album either, Nastradamus is his worst album. Nasty, nas the esco, to ecobar, now he's nastradamus. Indeed.

I like the production on Sly Fox, but the lyrics are a bit lame. Myspace and Youtube, yes very good Nas.

When you can play an album from start to finish and not have one song grabs your attention it's a poor sign. At least HHID had Black Republican, but Jay-Z stole that track with his verse.

I think its better then HHID mainly because HHID was frustratingly inconsistent and because Untitled sticks to a lyrical theme throughout, but yes Untitled is lacking the stand out tracks HHID had in Money Over Bull**** and Black Republicans.

Beyond that, Nas' philosophy sounds confused as hell, if not regressive. He really isn't a Boots Riley or Chuck D.

I agree that it's better than HHID. At least this album has a decent concept to it and some continuity. HHID was a mess, but that may in part have been because Street's Disciple was a bloated mess and in trying to make an album with less filler it just ended up all over the place.

So now that people have had time to lsiten and take in the album, what do y'all think about it? Here is my review regardless...
    There seems to be a couple of unwritten rules when it comes to reviewing a new Nas album. Firstly, you can’t mention the ‘I’ word, its just not fair on the man. Secondly, you have to ignore the insane internet hype surounding any and every new Nas album or track - remember when the boring Street’s Disciple and the wildly inconsistent Hip Hop Is Dead were proclaimed as classics akin to that debut? Finally, banging on about Jay-Z fo half of the review is unoriginal and in bad taste. So I’ll keep the Jay/Nas comparison short and wothwhile - is Untitled the startling return to form that American Gangster was, a return to ferocious rhyming over consistently tight beats? Maybe more pertinently, with Untitled can Nas truly re-invent himself as an inspiring figure in a Hip-Hop scene and an America politically in turmoil and demanding change?

A little background is necessary. This album was orignally entitled ‘****‘ but amid controversy and condemnation from everyone form BIll O’Reilly to Jesse Jackson the title was changed to Untitled by Def Jam. The outcry seems odd when you consider that the word ****** has been in constant use in Hip-Hop albums and titles and yet in an America soon likely to elect its first half black president, an album thematically built around the word ****** was always likely to create a certain level of controversy. Simply enough, people were angry not because Nas was using the word but becuase he wanted to discuss it.

Cont after the link.

Rating: 3/5

Link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

You can't say the word niggger? Sheeeeeeeeeet. AS for Obama being the next president, dream on, it's a US election, not a worldwide election. FACT

If you want to discuss the US election, then look up the Politics forum.

What do you think of the album?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Raoul

Not too impressed by the new album at all.

I think the review earlier sums it up perfectly. The first thing I noticed was the mixed up views on the whole white people and black people. He is sending out quite different messages in the album. I actually find it very annoying and its really hard to look past.
    And how disappointing are the beats?

There is only one or two songs that are actually of reasonably good quality. Hero and I can't remember the name of the other one that I really like. The 2 bonus tracks I heard (appreciation and be a ****** too) I think are of better quality than the a few of the other songs on the album.

All in all I would give it a 3/5 and its probably cos I am biased because it is Nas after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭DáireM

Really wasn't impressed. Lyrically it's ok, nothing outstanding but I agree with the other posters when they say that he sounds confused as to what his message actually is. That really started pissing me off after a while.

The beats were absolute garbage imo, probably the weakest point of the whole album. A huge disappointment for me, honestly thought he coulda pulled it together this album, HHID showed a lot of potential which coulda been built on after years of crap :(.

Advertisement