Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Development 2014

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Did I mention DAA, eh no I did not.

I know however I refer to it as the DAA because it simply remains Aer Rianta with the new name following the '04 Airport Act, but correct me If I'm wrong I don't believe taxpayers money has ever been directly used for airport projects as Aer Rianta, now the DAA is a semi-state company along with the now SAA.
    You work for the current monolith that is DAA I take it?

I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Jack1985 wrote: »
    I know however I refer to it as the DAA because it simply remains Aer Rianta with the new name following the '04 Airport Act, but correct me If I'm wrong I don't believe taxpayers money has ever been directly used for airport projects as Aer Rianta, now the DAA is a semi-state company along with the now SAA.

Your incorrect on this matter, thanks.

So you dont work for DAA or Aer Rianta so how would you know whether taxpayers money was used ot not? I rest my case.

You entitled to your opinion of course, Thank you.

I don't.

So you didnt work for Aer Rianta during the Pier C project or were not involved in any meetings.
    So how can you say what your saying, your making comments on something you dont have knowledge on, observations without statement of facts.

I rest my case.....your entitled to your opinion of course

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭steve-o

Jack1985 wrote: »
    It should be noted the DAA does not use taxpayers money, common misconception.
    The state is the sole shareholder, is it not? Every euro wasted in a semi-state company is taxpayers money wasted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

kravmaga wrote: »

indymedia - the "source" used when you can't actually find anything true about something. I don't see the relevance of the content (if you can call it that) of that piece to the discussion either; its a rant about something that didn't even happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

steve-o wrote: »
    The state is the sole shareholder, is it not? Every euro wasted in a semi-state company is taxpayers money wasted.

No it's not, and you have picked a bad example with the daa as they actually make money.

• Advertisement

kravmaga wrote: »
    So you didnt work for Aer Rianta during the Pier C project or were not involved in any meetings.
    So how can you say what your saying, your making comments on something you dont have knowledge on, observations without statement of facts.

I rest my case.....your entitled to your opinion of course

Why post and shoot down others when they respond? Can you confirm taxpayers money was used and provide evidence? You can be in as much meetings as you like don't see the relevance to my reply AT ALL..

A quote from an Aer Rianta PAC meeting in 2003, before the '04 Airport act.
    The company funds the development of airport infrastructure and facilities at the three airports from its own resources and borrowings and profits from its international activities. It does not receive any Exchequer support. We have been a net contributor to the Exchequer in recent years. We have contributed €400 million at today’s values over the past 20 years.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/TRJ/2003/01/28/00003.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    I saw that when I went through a couple of weeks ago. Most of the shops opposite the security area are closed and moved.
    are they simply being renovated or maybe levelled to create a bit of space in what is a relatively narrow corridor/ space behind security?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

are they simply being renovated or maybe levelled to create a bit of space in what is a relatively narrow corridor/ space behind security?

There are a few aims for the redevelopment going on. The space will be wider helping pax flow after security. The shops are getting a complete makeover and after you exit security it will lead you directly into the shopping area. It will hopefully make for a better experience once you are through security.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If they would just retile the floor area around the check in desks in T1. The terminal seems to have been in a constant state of "upgrade" for the past 10 years but is still a dark and dingy hole. The older piers air side are in bad need of a refresh too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

It is a semi-state company but it is run on a commercial basis. If the DAA were looking for Govt money it would make the papers.

EG. the cost of buidling T2 and the development of the rest of the airport cost 1.2Bn.......these costs will be covered by airports charges and commercially sourced and long term bank loans.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭steve-o

Tenger wrote: »
    It is a semi-state company but it is run on a commercial basis. If the DAA were looking for Govt money it would make the papers.

EG. the cost of buidling T2 and the development of the rest of the airport cost 1.2Bn.......these costs will be covered by airports charges and commercially sourced and long term bank loans.
    Right, so. If a semi state monopoly isn't losing money then is it ok for it to waste money? A company being run on a commercial basis would watch every penny, because they know that it can be used to reduce airport charges, return surplus funds to the shareholder as a dividend, or reduce those T2 bank loans.

is it ok for it to waste money?

What concern of it is your's when its none of your money?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Right, so. If a semi state monopoly isn't losing money then is it ok for it to waste money? A company being run on a commercial basis would watch every penny, because they know that it can be used to reduce airport charges, return surplus funds to the shareholder as a dividend, or reduce those T2 bank loans.

Not a publicly traded company so no shareholders.
    Why reduce airport charges is it doesn't have to?
    Perhaps they got a good deal on long term loans vs capital depreciation?

Who says the DAA is 'wasting money'.....improving facilities, refurbishing older sections, attracting new routes.....these are all called investment'.

Advertisement