Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread - Page 231 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-05-2015, 22:32   #3451
klairondavis

Hurlers drawn against Meath in the next round of the Christy Ring.

Minor footballers away to Dublin in the Leinster semi final.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-05-2015, 11:02   #3452
paulie21

Daniel Flynn off to the States for the summer
22-05-2015, 21:08   #3453
StupidLikeAFox

Send a message via AIM to StupidLikeAFox Send a message via MSN to StupidLikeAFox
Something is not right in the camp. Our results have been poor and the body language of players after defeats during the league hasn't been inspiring. We have seen Mick Foley, Hugh McGrillen, Tomas O'Connor and now Daniel Flynn all leave the panel before their time. These are arguably the influential players who should be shaping the team. I'm going to lay the blame squarely on JR, I don't think he has a plan and he seems completely out of his depth
23-05-2015, 17:17   #3454
klairondavis

Christy Ring Cup:

Meath 2-18 Kildare 3-23
(3) thanks from:
24-05-2015, 21:25   #3455
klairondavis

The draw for round 2 of the county football championship will take place on Friday night.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
Yesterday, 15:58   #3456
Stoner

Send a message via Skype™ to Stoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidLikeAFox
Something is not right in the camp. Our results have been poor and the body language of players after defeats during the league hasn't been inspiring. We have seen Mick Foley, Hugh McGrillen, Tomas O'Connor and now Daniel Flynn all leave the panel before their time. These are arguably the influential players who should be shaping the team. I'm going to lay the blame squarely on JR, I don't think he has a plan and he seems completely out of his depth
I didn't know all those lads left. Surely there's football left in O'Connor, Flynn is a big loss IMHO. They are some of the main recognisable names from the Kildare panel. The fall of Kildare football is remarkable. For a team that had great runs in the qualifiers. This was a team nobody wanted to face. I'm not one for finger pointing but you don't go from an arguable top 5, but definite top ten team to where Kildare are now without the actions of some being to blame.
Surely there is a Kildare man to take this job on. In McGeeney and Mick O'D they had a track record at one or more from being a player or manager.

I've shared a theory here that JR stock was inflated by wexfords performances against Dublin.
TBH if Dublin were to be complacent when playing a county in the provincial championship it would be against the likes of wexford. There is no real rivalry there. Meath, WMeath, Kildare and Laois would be the opposition to watch IMHO.
Mick O'D and McGeeney were far from intimidated by the Dubs and had appeal as they had been part of setups that had been successful against Dublin, not just give them a run for their money.
Therefore I understood their appointments.
But I would imagine that a Kildare man would be better for the job, someone from the 98 team?
I understand that JR had appeal because he was seen as someone who did more with less and the expectation was that with better players he'd do more. But the opposite has been the case, the better kildare players look worse now. I'd imagine that JRs Wexford team would beat the current Kildare championship team.

Surely that 1998 team had a manager amongst the squad. That would represent building on that success IMHO.

I'm on the outside looking in but it appeared to me that kildare had a spine of decent players that has now either been weakened or depleted with little replenishment.
If ever there was a GAA team that needed a local saviour it's Kildare.

The non native manager is only a stopgap IMHO and should if used at all only be a stop gap to bring success that in itself produces winners and future managers. Going from one non native to another is not working.

Talk all you want about the population of Dublin , but our 1995 team has given us two AI winning managers. That 1995 team was managed by a AI winner who won AIs managed by a manager who won AIs.

Maybe the fault lies not with whomever the current non native kildare manager currently is, but on the Kildare CB not having a succession plan in place to bring some of the 1998 panel on as managers or the players of that team themselves no stepping up.

I use to hate the suggestion of Mick OD or O'Connor to manage Dublin. I'm so glad we never went down that road. But we were looking at it in 2009

I don't like the fact that the Dublin hurling team is managed by a non native. There are posters here that take every opportunity to remind us of that, to be honest it can give a culchie look to hurling and erodes what I felt about the game having grownup playing it in the inner city, me being a jackeen and all. It's important to identify with your team, too many outside influences erode this IMHO. People won't be shy about reminding you that your team is managed by an outsider.

All that said it has been successfull for Dublin, but there has been a lot of background work there too, but some would have you believe it's because of a Clare man or a Cork man, so even when it works some will try to make it 95% about the manager.

I was at all the games in the 1990's and remember the healthy rivalry. A good kildare team is important for the game.

I think if you are looking for a template of how not to get in an outside manager Kildare have it made for you. It now appears to me that there is now a feeling that Kildare football cant produce managers.

I don't believe that is the case.
Sorry for the long post, I made it with good intentions.
(2) thanks from:
Yesterday, 17:21   #3457
klairondavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
Surely that 1998 team had a manager amongst the squad.
The obvious one would be Glenn Ryan who I've heard is not popular among the current players.

Bryan Murphy also of the 1998 and 2000 teams is probably favourite to be in charge next year provided he wants the job and unless Cian O'Neill becomes available in the meantime.

KCB are broke and won't be able to fund another expensive big outside name (probably a good thing for many of the reasons you have outlined above). The money behind the senior footballers is a fraction of what it was a few years ago.

There is decent talent in Kildare and there has been a modest level of underage success recently. There's not enough talent to be competing for All Irelands but certainly we should be better than Division 3 level. What's lacking is belief and organisation. The county lacks leadership - on the field and off it.

The footballers would do well to look at the hurlers and the strides they are making from a low base.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion