Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Daniel Flynn off to the States for the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Something is not right in the camp. Our results have been poor and the body language of players after defeats during the league hasn't been inspiring. We have seen Mick Foley, Hugh McGrillen, Tomas O'Connor and now Daniel Flynn all leave the panel before their time. These are arguably the influential players who should be shaping the team. I'm going to lay the blame squarely on JR, I don't think he has a plan and he seems completely out of his depth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Christy Ring Cup:

Meath 2-18 Kildare 3-23

The draw for round 2 of the county football championship will take place on Friday night.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Something is not right in the camp. Our results have been poor and the body language of players after defeats during the league hasn't been inspiring. We have seen Mick Foley, Hugh McGrillen, Tomas O'Connor and now Daniel Flynn all leave the panel before their time. These are arguably the influential players who should be shaping the team. I'm going to lay the blame squarely on JR, I don't think he has a plan and he seems completely out of his depth

I didn't know all those lads left. Surely there's football left in O'Connor, Flynn is a big loss IMHO. They are some of the main recognisable names from the Kildare panel. The fall of Kildare football is remarkable. For a team that had great runs in the qualifiers. This was a team nobody wanted to face. I'm not one for finger pointing but you don't go from an arguable top 5, but definite top ten team to where Kildare are now without the actions of some being to blame.
    Surely there is a Kildare man to take this job on. In McGeeney and Mick O'D they had a track record at one or more from being a player or manager.

I've shared a theory here that JR stock was inflated by wexfords performances against Dublin.
    TBH if Dublin were to be complacent when playing a county in the provincial championship it would be against the likes of wexford. There is no real rivalry there. Meath, WMeath, Kildare and Laois would be the opposition to watch IMHO.
    Mick O'D and McGeeney were far from intimidated by the Dubs and had appeal as they had been part of setups that had been successful against Dublin, not just give them a run for their money.
    Therefore I understood their appointments.
    But I would imagine that a Kildare man would be better for the job, someone from the 98 team?
    I understand that JR had appeal because he was seen as someone who did more with less and the expectation was that with better players he'd do more. But the opposite has been the case, the better kildare players look worse now. I'd imagine that JRs Wexford team would beat the current Kildare championship team.

Surely that 1998 team had a manager amongst the squad. That would represent building on that success IMHO.

I'm on the outside looking in but it appeared to me that kildare had a spine of decent players that has now either been weakened or depleted with little replenishment.
    If ever there was a GAA team that needed a local saviour it's Kildare.

The non native manager is only a stopgap IMHO and should if used at all only be a stop gap to bring success that in itself produces winners and future managers. Going from one non native to another is not working.

Talk all you want about the population of Dublin , but our 1995 team has given us two AI winning managers. That 1995 team was managed by a AI winner who won AIs managed by a manager who won AIs.

Maybe the fault lies not with whomever the current non native kildare manager currently is, but on the Kildare CB not having a succession plan in place to bring some of the 1998 panel on as managers or the players of that team themselves no stepping up.

I use to hate the suggestion of Mick OD or O'Connor to manage Dublin. I'm so glad we never went down that road. But we were looking at it in 2009

I don't like the fact that the Dublin hurling team is managed by a non native. There are posters here that take every opportunity to remind us of that, to be honest it can give a culchie look to hurling and erodes what I felt about the game having grownup playing it in the inner city, me being a jackeen and all. It's important to identify with your team, too many outside influences erode this IMHO. People won't be shy about reminding you that your team is managed by an outsider.

All that said it has been successfull for Dublin, but there has been a lot of background work there too, but some would have you believe it's because of a Clare man or a Cork man, so even when it works some will try to make it 95% about the manager.

I was at all the games in the 1990's and remember the healthy rivalry. A good kildare team is important for the game.

I think if you are looking for a template of how not to get in an outside manager Kildare have it made for you. It now appears to me that there is now a feeling that Kildare football cant produce managers.

I don't believe that is the case.
    Sorry for the long post, I made it with good intentions.

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    Surely that 1998 team had a manager amongst the squad.

The obvious one would be Glenn Ryan who I've heard is not popular among the current players.

Bryan Murphy also of the 1998 and 2000 teams is probably favourite to be in charge next year provided he wants the job and unless Cian O'Neill becomes available in the meantime.

KCB are broke and won't be able to fund another expensive big outside name (probably a good thing for many of the reasons you have outlined above). The money behind the senior footballers is a fraction of what it was a few years ago.

There is decent talent in Kildare and there has been a modest level of underage success recently. There's not enough talent to be competing for All Irelands but certainly we should be better than Division 3 level. What's lacking is belief and organisation. The county lacks leadership - on the field and off it.

The footballers would do well to look at the hurlers and the strides they are making from a low base.

Leinster u21 HC

Kildare 0-14 Wexford 0-23

Competed very well in the first half. Missed penalty was costly in the second. Hopefully competing at this level will help bring Kildare on further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭redarmy

Club SFC & IFC Round 2 Draws:
    SFC Winners Group: Athy vs St. Laurences, Leixlip vs Johnstownbridge, Naas vs Carbury, Moorefield vs Celbridge
    SFC Losers Group: Sarsfields vs Maynooth, Monasterevan vs Allenwood, Eadestown vs St. Kevins, Clane vs Confey
    IFC Winners Group: Round Towers vs Raheens, Two Mile House vs Clogherinkoe, Kilcock vs Rathangan, Straffan vs Sallins
    IFC Losers Group: Ballyteague vs Caragh, Suncroft vs Nurney, Castledermot vs Kill, Ballymore vs Ellistown :)

CGQUHtKUIAEff9l.jpg

Early goal for Kerry

0-1 1-2

• Advertisement

0-3 1-3

0-3 1-5

Early signs not encouraging again for Kildare

0-3 1-7

0-3 2-7

Kildare all over the place. Can't see yet another comeback against this quality of opposition.

0-3 2-9

Kildare down to 14 men. Disaster. This could get embarrassing.

0-3 3-13 HT

Mikey Boyle hat trick for Kerry. Hard to know how things have gone so wrong for Kildare and it would be worse if it wasn't for Paul Dermody. Second half performances in Mayo and Meath papered over a few cracks and some lads look tired after the u21 match on Wednesday night. Maybe they were overtrained for getting out of Division 2B because their form has definitely tapered off in the championship which is in complete contrast to last year.

Kerry are exorcising a few ghosts from last year's final.

0-5 6-22

0-9 6-27 (FT)

That's a result that could set Kildare hurling back years. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

0-9 6-27 (FT)

That's a result that could set Kildare hurling back years. :(

Indeed, I wonder will the likes to Stapleton, Greene, Young etc. continue to turn out considering they're really only playing for Kildare to get an intercounty outing.

Kildare hurling is in a pretty bad state as it is.

Good league campaign but that will really knock the stuffing out of the whole panel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Horrible result. Being a man down for the majority of the game certainly didn't help matters. Let's not forget Kerry were playing in a higher division in the league and will compete in Div 1B next year.

I wouldn't be so despondent as some posters, we have a decent U21 side which ran last year's All Ireland finalists close on Wednesday night.

glued wrote: »
    Kildare hurling is in a pretty bad state as it is.

I don't know about that. I think Kildare hurling is stronger now than at any other point since the 1970s.

Today was a bitter blow though. Those lads are going to have to wait six long months before they get back in a white jersey and try to start putting things right.

The Dublin v Galway replay will be the curtain raiser to the Laois match next Saturday night.

Could be parking chaos if you're not there early.

The Dublin v Galway replay will be the curtain raiser to the Laois match next Saturday night.

Could be parking chaos if you're not there early.

May head earlier now, least have something to watch beforehand. Any news out of the camp Klarion? Will Peter and Niall Kelly be fit?

paulie21 wrote: »
    May head earlier now, least have something to watch beforehand. Any news out of the camp Klarion? Will Peter and Niall Kelly be fit?

I haven't heard anything. No news is good news I guess. If Peter Kelly misses out it probably means it will be six from the following seven: Lyons, Fitzpatrick, O'Grady, Hyland, Conway, Bolton and Doyle. I would pick Doyle in the forwards but position him as a seventh defender.

Moolick is supposed to be flying which is a boost because Laois have a good midfield. We really need Niall Kelly firing to win this. He's a class above any other forward we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

I heard darly fylnn walked away at weekend with a few others? Anyone else hear anything

Back page of the Leinster Leader reporting that Keith Cribbin and Eamon Murphy are the only definite absentees and that Peter Kelly and Niall Kelly should be fit enough for places on the bench. :(

Team to play Laois

Mark Donnellan
    Ciaran Fitzpatrick
    Mick O'Grady
    Ollie Lyons
    Kevin Murnaghan
    Fergal Conway
    Emmet Bolton
    Gary White
    Paul Cribbin
    Padraig O'Neill
    Eoghan O'Flaherty
    Cathal McNally
    Eamon Callaghan
    Alan Smith
    Padraig Fogarty

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Petermc83

that team would not fill you with any confidence... how many times has it been proven that Chalkey just isnt a inter-county midfielder? Its also hard to see where all the scores will come from in that forward line..

• Advertisement

Hopefully there will be a few changes to that team. Hard to see the thinking behind some of the selections unless there are a lot of injuries. We live in hope.

Advertisement