Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Cabin in the Woods *Spoilers from post 180*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

krudler wrote: »
    the more I think about it the more I want to see it again, its brilliant how it rips the piss out of all those tired cliches.

Same. I liked all those jokes when I saw it but I like them even more in retrospect. Might go see it again next week...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

I saw this last Tuesday and I went to see it again last night. Thought it was really entertaining so I just had to! Someone asked this a couple of pages back but from what I can see I don't think anyone answered. When they're in the cellar Marty's looking at a load of film strips, anyone know what that would have triggered? Or the necklace thing that Jules picks up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

tomissex wrote: »
    I saw this last Tuesday and I went to see it again last night. Thought it was really entertaining so I just had to! Someone asked this a couple of pages back but from what I can see I don't think anyone answered. When they're in the cellar Marty's looking at a load of film strips, anyone know what that would have triggered? Or the necklace thing that Jules picks up?

I think the necklace was that huge dragon-bat thing, maybe? Or a giant bug? Was wondering that myself. Would love to know what the film reel was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Oh one thing, I'm convinced there was a sub-plot about a saboteur in the control room pulled or something, I know Marty's tampering with the circuits was supposed to have prevented the tunnel collapse but that doesn't explain the weed not affecting him the way it was supposed to?

It's not that the weed wasn't effecting him the way it was supposed to, it was the amount of weed he smoked stopped the gases effecting him the way they were supposed to. The weed neutralised the effects.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

ps3lover wrote: »
    This looks really bad, like one of the worst movies in years, I have a friend who keeps going on about this piece of ****. I hope it sweaps the razzies next year.

Lol hindsight eh?
    Millicent wrote: »
    Would love to know what the film reel was.

Possibly the pinhead guy with the blades in his head?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

NotorietyH wrote: »
    It's not that the weed wasn't effecting him the way it was supposed to, it was the amount of weed he smoked stopped the gases effecting him the way they were supposed to. The weed neutralised the effects.

I'm pretty sure they were supposed to have tampered with his weed so he'd be more stoned than normal? maybe I picked it up wrong.

Andy!! wrote: »

Possibly the pinhead guy with the blades in his head?

No, that was the puzzle ball that he was holding in his hands.

krudler wrote: »
    I thought the best one was the basement door just flying open on its own and the lead girl (whos a fox btw) suggesting they do down there, and Marty just going "....really?!"
    Another one of my favourites was the very subtle moment when
    Sitterson made the virgin drop her weapon in the cellar by emitting a small electric shock from it :D
    Galvasean wrote: »
    "It must have got blown open by the wind."
    "That makes what kind off sense?!!?"

I can't believe I forgot my favourite one of these from the whole film. Right at the end...

"I don't think Curt even had a cousin...."

Amazing.

Would love to know what the film reel was.

Decent chance it was an Evil Dead film reel and would have summoned the Deadites or the Rape Tree.

Decent chance it was an Evil Dead film reel and would have summoned the Deadites or the Rape Tree.

That makes sense, actually. Another one I was wondering about was
    the Wolfman. With Jules making out with the wolf head, which I assume would be the trigger for that monster,
    why wasn't he "chosen"?

• Advertisement

That makes sense, actually. Another one I was wondering about was
    the Wolfman. With Jules making out with the wolf head, which I assume would be the trigger for that monster,
    why wasn't he "chosen"?

All the triggers were in the basement. I presume the wolf-head make out scene was to forecast the coming horror/take the piss out of films that use such a clichéd device for said forecasting and to establish her as the slut.

All the triggers were in the basement. I presume the wolf-head make out scene was to forecast the coming horror/take the piss out of films that use such a clichéd device for said forecasting and to establish her as the slut.

Yeah, maybe I was over-thinking that one! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Seriously not getting the "it's not scary" complaints earlier. Talk about ^whoosh^

It's akin to lambasting Hot Shots for not being a realistic enough war movie.

This will be the first time in a long time I see the same movie twice on the big screen. The expression on the wolf's face alone is worth the ticket price. I love the next shot when it's just lurking in the middle of the screen in the background between the slut/fool characters as they talk. Bradley Whitford stole the show too basically playing Josh from The West Wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Best film of the year. It's like they went into my mind, took all my favourite things and made it into a film. HP Lovecraftian elder gods? Check. Favourite Nine Inch Nails song at the end? Check. International government conspiracy? Check. Cog sounds which remind me of Quake? Check. Stoner conspiracy nut surviving until the end? Check. Swat teams vs monsters/demons/zombies from the underworld? Check. I want to thank this film for being so awesome. In particular the whole installation bloodbath sequence with the Swat teams. It was almost too much awesome. It also reminded me of Buffy season 4. Joss Whedon and everyone else involved in this film have outdone themselves. A classic. 100/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I figured it might be a reference to
    The Strangers
    seeing as there wasn't anything else I could see a link too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

On the subject of the film reel... it could be a reference to "found footage" films, of which probably the most well-known would be the Blair Witch Project, so presumably it would have triggered witches (or maybe Sexy Witches, you never know :pac:).

Fysh wrote: »
    On the subject of the film reel... it could be a reference to "found footage" films, of which probably the most well-known would be the Blair Witch Project, so presumably it would have triggered witches (or maybe Sexy Witches, you never know :pac:).

Why didn't we see the Sexy Witches, goddammit!?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Why didn't we see the Sexy Witches, goddammit!?

A Charmed reference is it?

charmed1-hi.jpg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

Seen this last thurs, dont really know what to make of it to be honest. I really liked the concept of it all and it was laugh out loud funny in places but i think il have to see it again to make my mind up properly about it, if that make sence.

A Charmed reference is it?

I thought The Craft but I like yours better.....

wp-on-screen-the-craft-five-1996.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Gonna go see this again on Sunday.
    Ah shure, why not? Keeps me away from Battleship.

You'll actually appreciate it even more the second time around. :D First film that i've gone to twice in years.

Corkfeen wrote: »
    You'll actually appreciate it even more the second time around. :D First film that i've gone to twice in years.

Me too! It's actually the only film I've ever seen twice in a cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Pretty good film and well worth seeing. Thought the humour was a bit lacking actually, not in terms of amount of it, but the quality of it. If it was meant to take the piss out of horror movie cliche's, it done ok but not all that smart.

I really liked the concept though, I always like 'monster and myth's themes in films and it was nice to see the film turn in that direction. The zooming out shot of all the boxes containing the monsters was a particular highlight. I didnt like how they completely stayed away from explaining what happens after the monsters have killed everyone. Do they voluntarily go back down? do they have to be forced back down? etc

What would have been the trigger for the Merman? I remember hearing one of the controllers say something like 'so close to them choosing the Merman'
    Was hoping theyd have explained the cellar a bit more too, thought that was a very interesting part of it.

Enjoyed it though, hard to fault much a film with an interesting concept.

Corholio wrote: »

What would have been the trigger for the Merman? I remember hearing one of the controllers say something like 'so close to them choosing the Merman'

Twas the conch. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Twas the conch. :)

Ah right. Nice one, that was bothering me.

So now that we don't have to do the spoiler thing and we can talk about it, what did people make of the two end characters' actions? Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the film; I understand them refusing to allow the plot to follow its usual course in the context of it being a metaphor for horror writing and thought it worked well on that front.

However, I kind of thought it was a bit dickhead-y that they let the whole world die horribly on some vague principle. I couldn't imagine thinking of my loved ones and letting them die in pain and thought the Director actually made some prudent points on the matter.

Was I the only one?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

So now that we don't have to do the spoiler thing and we can talk about it, what did people make of the two end characters' actions? Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the film; I understand them refusing to allow the plot to follow its usual course in the context of it being a metaphor for horror writing and thought it worked well on that front.

However, I kind of thought it was a bit dickhead-y that they let the whole world die horribly on some vague principle. I couldn't imagine thinking of my loved ones and letting them die in pain and thought the Director actually made some prudent points on the matter.

Was I the only one?

I felt they were a bit selfish too, and like to think I would've at least given sacrificing myself (well, not me, but the virgin :P) some thought.

But on the other hand, I really just wanted to have the Old Gods rise up to destroy us, or at least know it was going to happen, so I'm kinda glad they made the choice they did :D. It satisfied some primal destructive urge of mine :).

Was I the only one?

If we take the film to be a comment on the relationship between horror film-makers and audience (as has been discussed), and the film challenging that relationship by letting us (the audience) in on that relationship by showing the writers engineer the story (through use of the people in the control room) and, thus, turning that relationship on its head, then the actions of the two survivors at the end was the writers giving the finger to convention, once again. They'd turned everything upside-down through the whole film and the final moment was a mark of defiance against the writer/audience relationship by 'not appeasing the gods' and purposely creating an ending that is, in the conventions of film in general, 'unsatisfactory'.

If we take the film to be a comment on the relationship between horror film-makers and audience (as has been discussed), and the film challenging that relationship by letting us (the audience) in on that relationship by showing the writers engineer the story (through use of the people in the control room) and, thus, turning that relationship on its head, then the actions of the two survivors at the end was the writers giving the finger to convention, once again. They'd turned everything upside-down through the whole film and the final moment was a mark of defiance against the writer/audience relationship by 'not appeasing the gods' and purposely creating an ending that is, in the conventions of film in general, 'unsatisfactory'.

Ah yeah, I got that, and understood why it was there. It didn't bother me massively but I did kind of think, "Well that's a bit shitty of you." :pac:

I like a good metaphor and all but I don't know that it worked on a basic level. Although, I suppose given all the other deaths, especially a jock hero wiping out spectacularly, it kind of works...

Dunno. Wasn't a deal breaker in any way for me but I thought the "Let someone else have a chance" was a bit thin on a literal rather than metaphorical/parody/didactic level.

Great answer though! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

As soon as Sigourney told them what was going on, I wondered would they eventually sacrifice themselves/would one kill the other, or would they choose to stay alive.

I though either the film'd continue its defiance of genre conventions by having them stay alive, or acknowledge that despite their play with conventions, there is something to the certainty of using generic formulae as the basis for so much of cinema by having one of them die.

I'm kinda glad they went with the former :).

Advertisement