Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe House

• 06-11-2011 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Starring Denzel Washington, Ryan Reynolds, Brendan Gleeson, Vera Faminga so it looks like a decent enough cast.

Washington is one of my favourite all time actors but he's been in a slump of late imo - I like the look of this, and it looks like he may well be back to his best.

Further information on the movie to be found here

Looking forward to it myself, it could turn out to be a clichéd heap of crap but I'm remaining hopeful that Denzel & Reynolds will deliver

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Kinda reminds me of Assault on Precinct 13 mixed with 16 Blocks anyways worth a look given the cast involved

• For some reason, Brendan Gleeson's accent somewhat bugged me in that trailer. Apart from that, it looks awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Was interested when I saw my man Denzel in the opening shot

Interest somewhat lessoned when I heard the words "CIA" and "Rouge Operative"

Interest took a further hit when I heard Gleesons dodgy accent

Stopped watching trailer when I saw Ryan Reynolds

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

This is out today, might be interested in going to see it. Denzel is looking a bit like Morgan Freeman these days, but the trailer makes it look like a film full of psychological main games.

Denzel was interviewed on the Kermode & Mayo show today, I'm listening to the podcast now. I didn't realise it was set in Cape Town - I've been there several times, but the last time was 20 years ago, so I'd be interested in seeing what the place looks like today.

PS: Kermode is saying that he wanted more psychology, but the film had too many action sequences instead.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Saw it tonight - it's only alright to be honest. It's like Man On Fire that wants to be a Bourne instalment, which it doesn't do very well. The fight scenes / shoot-out scenes have far too many camera switches and ridiculously loud sound effects, and it also happens to have the most predictable ending in cinema history. Dragged on a bit too. It's not terrible, it's just not great either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Saw it yesterday and it was pretty bland and predictable. Acting, meh. Fight scenes good. Progress, predictable as hell. Ending, completely unoriginal.
    At one point I spotted two people using their phones, and I don't mean texting but on facebook! Movie was not holding the room at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Saw it today. If you go in knowing what to expect (i.e.Solid Action ,short on plot,decent characters, decent acting), you'll be happy.

Good quality action film, nothing more nothing less. One of Ryan Reynolds better performances I would say, Denzel makes the film though. Worth seeing IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Best movie about
    Wikileaks
    ever!
    Not really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

6/10

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I saw it a couple of weeks ago and I loved it! It delivers exactly what it is supposed to. I love crime and political thrillers, it was among the best I've seen. Plus I LOVE Denzel! He is great at creating characters. Even when he plays a bad guy he does it with so many dimensions and makes it an interesting character.

Ryan Reynolds seems to be doing less topless scenes in his films these days :(:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 CharAdriel

I totally fell asleep watching this movie, but the parts I saw were good. Don't judge, it was a very long day.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

saw it earlier and it was dam good..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

Skinfull wrote: »
    At one point I spotted two people using their phones, and I don't mean texting but on facebook! Movie was not holding the room at all.

Could have been me....was a lot more interesting than the movie....I went with my housemate who really wanted to see it, thought it was the most godawful pile of tripe I've seen in a long time. Was it written by a 12 year old boy?? Plot was dull, predictable and cheesy, seemed to be an awful lot of (pointless and incredibly loud) fight scenes I actually didn't care about the outcome of, and I can't decide which is most painful, sitting through it, parting with good money to see it, or the two hours of my life lost...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

Other ppl paid to see the film, if you're bored leave? why use a phone and ruin others enjoyment of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

I would have, but I was with somebody. I was very conscious of not distracting other people, coats come in handy sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

Even with a coat it's still obvious if someone is using a phone as the light from it can be spotted easily in a dark cinema. That is far more distracting than just getting up and leaving which is what you should have done if you were bored!

Slightly off topic but I do wish cinemas would place signal blockers in their auditoria! And also I've noticed that Vue and UCI don't seem to post "switch off your phone" notices over here yet they do in their UK chains!

Advertisement