Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Any tickets lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Any tickets lads?

Tickets haven't even been issued yet, and I wouldn't hold out much hope for you getting one here. They'll be hard to get for this final. Both counties will get an official allocation of about 12,000 each even though they could easily sell 40,000 each.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

Superb team performance from Mayo. Everyone had a great game, no prima donas, no over-inflated egos, just solid teamwork.
    The only aspect of their game that disappointed was their inability to convert 1 or 2 their many goal opportunities.
    Hopefully this is something they can work on in the next 3 weeks.
    Personally I think it's more a mental issue. A lack of killer instinct.
    Can you "train" for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Any tickets lads?

Yip, have my 2 season tickets, thanks:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I should be okay for a ticket but It really does wreck my head to see decent folk not getting near one because some gobs*ite decides he wants to go to the All-Ireland despite not having been at a Mayo game since 2006..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Horan thank God does not deal with untruths like killer instinct Killer instinct is just an absence of panic It is why he refers to the final as game 5 You want your forwards trusting in their ability and playing with calmness Some players will always struggle in this regard at the top level due to things such as soloing forward at max speed head down or kicking the ball at full power while off balance The good players at intercounty level a free from the hands or a shot from open play a photo of each kick should look the same when in open space

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Gotta say congrats to mayo, gutsy performance yesterday lads you should all be very proud of your lads!!

I'll be honest I tipped Donegal for Sam AAAGGGGEEEES ago, but mayo deserve an AI no doubt about that. Stayed in arhlone Saturday night and the amount of mayo families in our hotel up for match was amazing great sign of dedication from your followers!!!

Please don't let this be like 2006 I really wanna see a real battle between both teams!!

Good luck from a very jealous Kildare fan!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

wanna say congrats, but there performance was embarrassing, should be ashamed bringing play acting and rolling around the ground time wasting in a mans game, David Clarke walking around the net after every point wasting every pressure second, just the rolling around and crying on the ground was shocking, off to play soccer with you lot!! cant take a hit

congrats to mayo and all the best in the final!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

but1er wrote: »
    wanna say congrats, but there performance was embarrassing, should be ashamed bringing play acting and rolling around the ground time wasting in a mans game, David Clarke walking around the net after every point wasting every pressure second, just the rolling around and crying on the ground was shocking, off to play soccer with you lot!! cant take a hit

yeah,well said,nothing as manly as grown men having as much contact with each other as possible while wearing shorts!very macho!sher its only soft lads who want to play a game where they try not to wrestle with another grown man in shorts!

cop on,yesterday was a great game,fitting for an AI semi-final,looking forward to what should be a good final now...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Jesus bitter much??

I don't think your speaking for most Dublin fans any dubs I know thought mayo deserved to win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Who are you talking about here? Dublin? Dublin's performance in the 1st half was diabolical. Outplayed in every sector of the field. Backs were torn apart. Instead of cribbing about Mayo's 'embarrassing' performance you should ask why Dublin allowed themselves to trail by 10 points at one stage. Mayo didn't achieve this win by rolling and crying on the ground. Dublin didn't exactly cover themselves in glory either, they tried to bully Mayo out of the game when they realised things weren't going their way. Mayo are only doing what it takes to win the big matches these days, Dublin didn't win the championship last year by playing nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I was unhappy with the ref's performance - it was really a game of two halves. He reffed Dublin off the park in the first half and early into the second and then did the same to Mayo for the rest of the game. He was awful. I was also unhappy with some of Mayo's eh, tactics... lot of time-wasting and simulation. I wasn't too thrilled with our boys either; they did come back at Mayo but should never have capitulated to the point where they were ten points down.

Having got all of that out of the way - well done Mayo - the better team won and there's no reason why you can't go on and beat Donegal in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭neiphin

ColeTrain wrote: »
    I should be okay for a ticket but It really does wreck my head to see decent folk not getting near one because some gobs*ite decides he wants to go to the All-Ireland despite not having been at a Mayo game since 2006..
    that gobshyte your talking about was probably out with an u12 team since feb

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

I think missing our two starting wing backs and our best breaking ball winner allowed dublin back,every breaking ball went to the dubs,o shea and moran were breaking it down but we had no one coming in on the breaks,richie feeney is a good player but he's not a 50/50 ball winner like mclouglin,thought freeman made little or no impact when he came on,although had mayo got the goal when 9 pts clear i think that would have been game over and score could have been anything

roll on the final in 3 weeks should be some weekend,come on galway this weekend also could be a great month for the west

What was embarrassing was that Dublin still had 15 players left on the pitch, the Dubs truly lived up to there reputation. Lots of the cowardly thuggery was out of sight of the Ref (therefore not shown on TV or on Camera) but was clearly seen by the linesmen including 2 head butts to Alan Dillion in the space of two minutes, an assault on an injured player lying on the floor with a broken nose, a straight fist to AOS 's jaw etc etc....But then this crew does ref the Dublin A v B so it was already expected, it would be shameful of the GAA to allow them ref another game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

neiphin wrote: »
    that gobshyte your talking about was probably out with an u12 team since feb

U-12 team or not, if you haven't been to a Mayo game in years then why would you even bother going to the final? It can't mean that much to you otherwise you would attend games more regularly. There is a huge band wagon when it comes to GAA and unfortunately there will be some good supporters missing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Well lads, what's the criac? You must be still buzzing. A Galway GAA nut here in peace.

Great win yesterday, where I come from we're not noted for supporting Mayo but everyone one I spoke to (even Starie) was happy at the result yesterday. This Mayo team is more "likable" than teams gone by. No bleach hair, no tight shorts, no acting to the cameras etc. Enjoy the next few weeks and good luck in the final. Now, were off supporting Donegal ;):P:P

One final thing - Joe Brolly can go and jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Congrats to Mayo. Every player used played well. superb, their scores were top notch and their team play as good as anything we have seen a while.

Asd a Dub I was embarrassed by our performance yesterday. Hard to believe how bad Dublin were for 55 minutes of the match.

Felt they lost their way when Dillon could not get on the ball enough in second half. Mayo kicked a lot of ball to Dublins Flynn who is very good in the air and this suited Dublin. When they went short I think Dillon was second to recieve the ball and the siege was lifted.
    I was unhappy with the ref's performance - it was really a game of two halves. He reffed Dublin off the park in the first half and early into the second and then did the same to Mayo for the rest of the game.
    I fully agree with this. I thought he was harsh on Dublin in the first half and nearly cost Mayo the game. He was awful.
    I was also unhappy with some of Mayo's eh, tactics... lot of time-wasting and simulation. I wasn't too thrilled with our boys either; they did come back at Mayo but should never have capitulated to the point where they were ten points down.
    Any team would do the same, kill time. What would concern me from a Mayo point of view was they gave away frees to close to goal in the second half.
    Having got all of that out of the way - well done Mayo - the better team won and there's no reason why you can't go on and beat Donegal in the final. [/QUOTE] Agree 100%
    What was embarrassing was that Dublin still had 15 players left on the pitch, the Dubs truly lived up to there reputation. Lots of the cowardly thuggery was out of sight of the Ref (therefore not shown on TV or on Camera) but was clearly seen by the linesmen including 2 head butts to Alan Dillion in the space of two minutes, an assault on an injured player lying on the floor with a broken nose, a straight fist to AOS 's jaw etc etc....But then this crew does ref the Dublin A v B so it was already expected, it would be shameful of the GAA to allow them ref another game.

I must have watched a different game. If 2 Dublin players used headbutts they can be and should be suspended. Every incident in that match was caught on camera and I would be suprised with CCC if they see what you saw and dont act on it.

Lots of cowardly thuggery! An assult on an injured player? Were you in the comedy club after the match? Varley ran into a Dublin player when Mayo had just scored so what was he trying to do? trying to get an opponent sent off. O'Carroll might have been wrong to do what he done but what would you do, What would Cafferkey or Higgins do? Id say Varley feels a right D**k.

Time you focused on the final and Mayo's prospects.

I think Mayo have nothing to fear. This is the best Mayo side I have seen since early 80s. Very good all round team with huge talent.

Thought Feeney was superb. Higgins also gave a good performance. But for me if Alan Dillon turns up for the final he will be footballer of the year 2012. He has been superb all year getting good scores and his play in general is all you could ask from a half forward.

Good luck in the final. Hope ye all have a good day. Focus on the positives

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

LeoB wrote: »
    if Alan Dillon turns up for the final he will be footballer of the year 2012[/B]. He has been superb all year getting good scores and his play in general is all you could ask from a half forward.

McHugh for donegal has played better, against better opposition, think footballer of the year is his unless mayo win and alan dillon scores at least 10 points in the final

I must have watched a different game. If 2 Dublin players used headbutts they can be and should be suspended. Every incident in that match was caught on camera and I would be suprised with CCC if they see what you saw and dont act on it.

I surprised there hasn't been more about it. I was near the pitch on the 45 yard line near the Davin stand and this happened only 20 yards from me. The main play was happening near the goal at the hill when this was happening mid way through the 2nd half, so most didn't even see it.

The lines man seen Dillon falling to the ground when he did get up he walked to the linesman and was waved on, Dillon then walked back to his marker and got another head-butt from the same player, again the linesman seen it and the few Mayos in that area were going nuts to the linesman. The linesman then ran off up to the other end and called over the ref, they had a discussion and play just continued as if nothing had happened. The officials had obviously lost any control or any consistency.

• Advertisement

I surprised there hasn't been more about it. I was near the pitch on the 45 yard line near the Davin stand and this happened only 20 yards from me. The main play was happening near the goal at the hill when this was happening, so most didn't even see it.

The lines man seen Dillon falling to the ground when he did get up he walked to the linesman and was waved on, Dillon then walked back to his marker and got another head-butt from the same player, again the linesman seen it and the few Mayos in that area were going nuts to the linesman. The linesman then ran off up to the other end and called over the ref, they had a discussion and play just continued as if nothing had happened. The officials had obviously lost any control or any consistency.

McQuillan is a poor ref and was never going to ref dublin fairly, and dublin knew it. 2 of Dublins points when they were coming back shouldnt have been allowed.
    Linesman gave a 45 for dublin when it clearly came off a dublin player. Cluxton got a point from it.
    When brogan missed his goal chance he pulled the goalie to the ground, probably hoping that another dublin forward would stick the ball in an empty net. Should have been a free out to the goalie but dublin got a point from that attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭shockframe

Fair play lads.Thought ye would have a chance this year.some great scores kicked and one of the greatest saves in history from a goalbound brogan effort.

Will be some occasion in 20 days time.

shockframe wrote: »
    Fair play lads.Thought ye would have a chance this year.some great scores kicked and one of the greatest saves in history from a goalbound brogan effort.

Will be some occasion in 20 days time.

It would of been game to Dublin if that went in and gone down as one of the worst collapses in recent years.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

M three wrote: »
    McQuillan is a poor ref and was never going to ref dublin fairly, and dublin knew it. 2 of Dublins points when they were coming back shouldnt have been allowed.
    Linesman gave a 45 for dublin when it clearly came off a dublin player. Cluxton got a point from it..
    Sort of agree here. As stated earlier McQuillen shafted Dublin in first half annd for few minutes of second half. He then went hard on Mayo and gave some awful decisions againt them. One in particular was Aiden O'Shea made a good tackle on B.B and a free was given when he clearly won ball.. However you cant blame McQuillen for the 45. He has umpires.

Mayomafia I surprised there hasn't been more about it. I was near the pitch on the 45 yard line near the Davin stand and this happened only 20 yards from me. The main play was happening near the goal at the hill when this was happening mid way through the 2nd half, so most didn't even see it.

The lines man seen Dillon falling to the ground when he did get up he walked to the linesman and was waved on, Dillon then walked back to his marker and got another head-butt from the same player, again the linesman seen it and the few Mayos in that area were going nuts to the linesman. The linesman then ran off up to the other end and called over the ref, they had a discussion and play just continued as if nothing had happened. The officials had obviously lost any control or any consistency.Mayomafia

I just find this so hard to believe. This happens twice in a full stadium. Apart from your good self and the lines man I am sure more people would have seen this. Whoever gave Dillon a headbutt should be suspended. That is deplorable behavior and has no place in any sport.

Sort of agree here. As stated earlier McQuillen shafted Dublin in first half annd for few minutes of second half. He then went hard on Mayo and gave some awful decisions againt them. One in particular was Aiden O'Shea made a good tackle on B.B and a free was given when he clearly won ball.. However you cant blame McQuillen for the 45. He has umpires.

Mayomafia I surprised there hasn't been more about it. I was near the pitch on the 45 yard line near the Davin stand and this happened only 20 yards from me. The main play was happening near the goal at the hill when this was happening mid way through the 2nd half, so most didn't even see it.

The lines man seen Dillon falling to the ground when he did get up he walked to the linesman and was waved on, Dillon then walked back to his marker and got another head-butt from the same player, again the linesman seen it and the few Mayos in that area were going nuts to the linesman. The linesman then ran off up to the other end and called over the ref, they had a discussion and play just continued as if nothing had happened. The officials had obviously lost any control or any consistency.Mayomafia

I just find this so hard to believe. This happens twice in a full stadium. Apart from your good self and the lines man I am sure more people would have seen this. Whoever gave Dillon a headbutt should be suspended. That is deplorable behavior and has no place in any sport.

Everybody in our area were on there feet roaring at the linesman about it, so plenty more than me seen it. Obviously not enough to get the refs attention. This all happened within 1 minute or so while play was still continuing in the other half.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Capri Man

Well done Mayo on your performance yesterday. Think the final will be a lot tighter than people expect. Up here in Donegal, lot of eejits getting carried away, even arguing about where the homecoming should be. These would be non gaa people may I add.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I was quiet happy to see Mayo show a good bit of cynicism the last day, as they have done throughout the championship.
    It is part and parcel of the modern game and if you do not do it the other team will, and I would not come on here complaining about Donegal doing it in the final if they were in such a position.

It is certainly a problem within the game and if the football review board, or whatever they are called, recommend some steps to crub and eradicate it in their upcoming report then I would be happy to see them introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The Dillon thing happened alright, but there was so much else going on at the time that it wasn't picked up on as much as it should have been. If Dublin had won the game, things like this, McQuillen's ridiculous excuse for a referreeing performance and a few other incidents would have gotten more attention.

In both the Dublin and Cork games at Croke Park this year, Mayo have been badly let down by weak officiating. I would like to see Horan up the pressure on the final ref by commenting on this in the run up to the game. Alex Ferguson is a master of this sort of thing. Put ideas of unfairness in the heads of the public so that officials are examined more on certain aspects of their performance than they would otherwise be.

McQuillan should never be allowed to officiate a game involving Dublin again. He is clearly incapable of being unbiased when they are playing. The fact that Mayo won and he did us a favour as the late Dublin comeback has resulted in us being widely dismissed by the public shouldn't come into it. But for him there would have been no comeback and Mayo would have won by five or six. Some of his decisions defied belief.

The Dillon thing happened alright, but there was so much else going on at the time that it wasn't picked up on as much as it should have been. If Dublin had won the game, things like this, McQuillen's ridiculous excuse for a referreeing performance and a few other incidents would have gotten more attention.

In both the Dublin and Cork games at Croke Park this year, Mayo have been badly let down by weak officiating. I would like to see Horan up the pressure on the final ref by commenting on this in the run up to the game. Alex Ferguson is a master of this sort of thing. Put ideas of unfairness in the heads of the public so that officials are examined more on certain aspects of their performance than they would otherwise be.

McQuillan should never be allowed to officiate a game involving Dublin again. He is clearly incapable of being unbiased when they are playing. The fact that Mayo won and he did us a favour as the late Dublin comeback has resulted in us being widely dismissed by the public shouldn't come into it. But for him there would have been no comeback and Mayo would have won by five or six. Some of his decisions defied belief.

Bang on.
    McQuillan giving a free for the accidental clash of heads that involved O'Gara was a joke of a decision. Easily 3 points were gifted to dublin as a result of bad officiating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

There was so many bad incidents but another was when Freeman (off camera) was tripped by a Dublin back which led to another Dublin score. Afaik deegan is a solid ref in comparison to that clown mcquillan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement