Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Water Cooling maintanance

• 19-04-2011 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭

OK, it's been 1 year since I build my first watercooled PC, it's been working away perfectly without a problem for all this time and I'm happy out.

loop config is:

rez --> D5 pump --> mosfet 1 --> masfet 2 --> mobo block --> CPU --> GPU 1-2 --> GPU 3-4 --> 4 x 120mm rad --> rez ...

cooling fluid is distilled water.

I have notised a lot of hot air comming from the rad lately, I know it being summer and all, but after a year I'm thinking it might be time for some maintanance. Can you guys talk me through the basic points of watercooling
    maintenance please.

Thanks.

SD.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Here's the basics. Don't forget that your WC setup is only as good as the air going through the rad fins, so make sure your air filters and fans are clean of dirt and that there isn't a load of dust and dirt in the rad itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭game4it70

Did you use any biocide or a silver coil as if not i would expect to have some nasty stuff growing in the loop?
    If you did use something you can still get build up of "gunk" in the blocks.

I would drain the loop and flush rads with water from a kettle that has cooled down a bit.Dont fill rad to much and leave for about 10 mins with the holes covered,then shake it and repeat process untill water is clear.
    People add vinegar to the kettle water also but google the amount as to much may cause damage.

I had issuses with my water going cloudy so i had to clean my rads,blocks,resevoir and replace my tubing.Tomato ketchup and an old toothbrush is great for getting the gunk out of the channels in the blocks followed by a rinsing of distilled water.
    Be aware if you open some blocks and break the sticker on them you void the warrenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

i actually used this stuff...

http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/product_info.php/info/p8051_Thermochill-EC-6-Clear-1000ml.html

topped up with distilled water, so i hope the blob isn't waiting to jump out of my rez :D

thanks for the quick responses, I'll read solitares link and take some before after temps :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

You should clean the aircooling bits first and see if it makes a difference before wading in with the gloves and tubing! :D:P

Advertisement