Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"The Origin of Specious Nonsense"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Dougla2

fixed, but i see sponsored got there first!

Motherf*cking magnets, how the **** do they work?

oh ,lol i didnt listen , thats ****ing funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I still don't understand how a guy whose argument against evolution is:.....
    can be given an outlet like national radio to propagate this nonsense :confused:

Probably because of the amount of free publicity he's getting from threads like this. :)

PDN wrote: »
    Probably because of the amount of free publicity he's getting from threads like this. :)
    quick someone delete his post its on topic and not against the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

The content of his argument:
    "Have you ever lived up a tree for a week? Try it!"
    &
    "People get wrinkles taking a bath, does a newborn baby have wrinkles?"
    &
    "There were very few tribes before the Sumerians & Babylonians, name them!"
    &
    "When people try to explain what happened millions of years ago when I have trouble remembering what happened 40 years ago they're waffling".
    &
    "Francis Collins, the eminent argumentum ad verecundiam leader of the Human Genome Project argumentum ad verecundiam is religious, so there!"
    &
    "Woo woo Stephen Jay Gould taken out of context woo woo"
    &
    "Darwin liked shooting birds"
    &
    "There is no evidence of intermediate fossils"
    &
    "I don't deal in theories"
    &
    "If we're related to banana's that's pathetic"
    &
    "Einstein didn't believe in the big bang"
    &
    "There may not have been a big bang, we don't know, whatever!"
    &
    "There is some interesting scientific stuff in the Hebrew wribibletings."
    &
    "6000 years ago there were no human beings on this planet, the evidence is in my book!"
    &
    "It satisfies my intellectual curiousity that man was placed here 6000 years ago by a creator. End of Story!
    The other theories are not credible. Evidence? Look at your desk Sean, look at the evidence of intelligence,
    ergo the universe is intelligent. It's how you see it."
    &
    "We come from our mothers, the alternative makes no sense whatsoever."

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

Sort of reminds me of this too, in a little way.

Although reading the comments makes me lose faith in humanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

The content of his argument:
    "Have you ever lived up a tree for a week? Try it!"
    &
    "People get wrinkles taking a bath, does a newborn baby have wrinkles?"
    &
    "There were very few tribes before the Sumerians & Babylonians, name them!"
    &
    "When people try to explain what happened millions of years ago when I have trouble remembering what happened 40 years ago they're waffling".
    &
    "Francis Collins, the eminent argumentum ad verecundiam leader of the Human Genome Project argumentum ad verecundiam is religious, so there!"
    &
    "Woo woo Stephen Jay Gould taken out of context woo woo"
    &
    "Darwin liked shooting birds"
    &
    "There is no evidence of intermediate fossils"
    &
    "I don't deal in theories"
    &
    "If we're related to banana's that's pathetic"
    &
    "Einstein didn't believe in the big bang"
    &
    "There may not have been a big bang, we don't know, whatever!"
    &
    "There is some interesting scientific stuff in the Hebrew wribibletings."
    &
    "6000 years ago there were no human beings on this planet, the evidence is in my book!"
    &
    "It satisfies my intellectual curiousity that man was placed here 6000 years ago by a creator. End of Story!
    The other theories are not credible. Evidence? Look at your desk Sean, look at the evidence of intelligence,
    ergo the universe is intelligent. It's how you see it."
    &
    "We come from our mothers, the alternative makes no sense whatsoever."

Well I'm sold. I suddenly feel the urge to start typing in multi coloured capital letters and abuse the smiley feature.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

PDN wrote: »
    Probably because of the amount of free publicity he's getting from threads like this
    I'm inclined to think that he's unlikely to sell many copies to anybody on A+A.

Do you have anybody on your side who'd be interested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

robindch wrote: »
    I'm inclined to think that he's unlikely to sell many copies to anybody on A+A.

Do you have anybody on your side who'd be interested?

I can think of at least one. :):D :eek: :eek: :eek: :cool: :pac: :pac:

Mental creationists

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Out of curiosity I listened to the Moncrieff interview. It's was excruciating, I was shouting at the pc.

Clearly the guy is an idiot suffering delusions of grandeur; a crackpot of the highest order. Particularly revealing was his mentioning of different kinds of science having different answers, as if science is composed of different sects with different beliefs like religion. He patently hasn't the fist f'n clue what science is.

Not that we need more evidence of his astounding ignorance, he doesn't believe in Carbon dating (I guess the same goes for all radiometric dating) which is based on our understanding of the atomic nucleus, the same understanding led us the the technology of nuclear power and atomic bombs to name two obvious examples, I wonder what he makes of them?

To be fair it's not him that makes me really angry, there are a countless number of crackpots out there, we can't all be sane and intelligent. It's the fact that anyone with an ounce of common sense should immediately be able to see him for what he is and should lend him no credence. Such is the bare minimum we should expect from a TD let alone a member of the government, let alone a junior f'n ministers, let alone the junior minister with special responsibility for f'n science. This government are a shower of gombeens.

AAAarrgggh

*bangs head repeatedly off desk*

</rant>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

sink wrote: »
    gombeens.

AAAarrgggh

*bangs head repeatedly off [intelligent] desk*

</rant>

Fixed that for you.

So basically he's been deleting a few of the posts on his site that disagree
    with him. A "server error" :rolleyes: "offending other posters" :rolleyes:

im fighting the urge to download a spam bot and post links to 2 girls 1 cup 9if you don't know what that is don't google it)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Dades wrote: »
    Can't imagine Hooky being too up with the natural sciences, and consequently might take the view that such a book could be a valid alternative view.

Ivor Callely said on newstalk this morning that it's ''stupid'' that Conor had to pull out of the launch! :mad::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Ivor Callely said on newstalk this morning that it's ''stupid'' that Conor had to pull out of the launch! :mad::rolleyes:
    With friends like that, who needs a horde of angry nerds writing emails?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

Pushtrak wrote: »
    http://www.theoriginofspeciousnonsense.com/

Someone on my facebook posted this. I went to the site but its a hideous mess and hard to see what is going on there. Though it is playing Ennio Morricone so I kept the tab open.
    Your man can't even write a sentence properly on his website, so I can only imagine what the book is like.

Rycn wrote: »
    Your man can't even write a sentence properly on his website, so I can only imagine what the book is like.

hehe yeah the biography is ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

It is stupid that he had to pull out of the launch because in any sensible country he wouldn't be a government minister and so could go.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i'm waiting for it to come out that this book and the author are one big hoax because i'm having trouble getting my head around the idea that anyone could be serious about something like this.

pretty much everything i read on his website reads like someone mocking creationists by picking the stupidest creationist quotes, thoughts & ideas and saying them in a childish voice.

there's no way he's a real person who believes what he's saying, it's just not possible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

sink wrote: »
    Out of curiosity I listened to the Moncrieff interview. It's was excruciating, I was shouting at the pc.
    Excruciating? I thought it was hilarious! Moncrieff is just the perfect interviewer for people like Mr May.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

That sounds like an interesting story! Care to enlighten us? Or will that get you sued more?

Haha. NO............

Shouldn't he be more interested in staying out of jail?

Listening to the Moncrieff interview now. May talks some bull. Moncrieff seems to be doing a good job, leading him on a merry trail so he can make himself look stupid.

Oh wow, May used the 'Darwin - almost like a whale' angle. Havent heard that one in a while. Here's a book for him to read.
    41S4T8X6NEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

edit: "Perfect vagina" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭travelguru

big pr stunt

Damn, he is quick to demand proof from evryone else while offering none of his own.

I liked when he was asked about dinosairs at the end. So apparently they existed before man... but for what purpose...

Galvasean wrote: »
    Damn, he is quick to demand proof from evryone else while offering none of his own.

Ah now, he said it quite a few times that he has unequivocal evidence
    that man is "around" 6000 years old in his book ;)

Ah now, he said it quite a few times that he has unequivocal evidence
    that man is "around" 6000 years old in his book ;)

Saying you have evidence and sharing it with the world are two diffrent things.
    I have the world's biggest penis. I have unequivocal evidence. Damned if I'm showing you though. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Thought that myself. He kept screaming for proof and when he was asked for his theory he just said the early parts of the bible leave him intellectually satisfied even thought the rest of the book is horrible. WHERE'S YOUR PROOF!?!?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

I have the world's biggest penis.
    "A perfect penis" ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Anyone feel like handing out anti-heliocentrism flyers outside Buswells?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement