Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Major blow for Waterford Airport, Aer Lingus to stop flights to UK from Jan 2013

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lickalike

What ever happened to the development tax passengers are forced to pay on departure. What started off in a Nissen Hut hasn't improved much. The only development seems to be the surplus employees twiddling their thumbs and the tarmac outside (Car Park) together with the pedestian crossing and the essential Wheel Clamps. How they can justify training two people to read one board pass and having a SNIFFER DOG is beyond me!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 air2000

What ever happened to the development tax passengers are forced to pay on departure. What started off in a Nissen Hut hasn't improved much. The only development seems to be the surplus employees twiddling their thumbs and the tarmac outside (Car Park) together with the pedestian crossing and the essential Wheel Clamps. How they can justify training two people to read one board pass and having a SNIFFER DOG is beyond me!

Can I have some of whatever your smoking ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

bk wrote: »
    The unfortunate reality is that the new motorway network is making other sorts of infrastructure less relevant.
    I know it might be just a choice of words, but is it an unfortunate reality if the motorways are having the impact of making other sorts of infrastructure less relevant?
    V_Moth wrote: »
    Using Germany as a model, I think the best option for the motorways would have been a "H" pattern, as in one motorway from Cork to Derry along the west coast, with a spur to Dublin in Galway. The other side could have been Waterford/Wexford - Enniscorthy - Dublin - Belfast - Derry. But this is Fantasy Island stuff by this stage....
    I agree that what we have is what we have, but I just found myself questioning the relevance of Germany.

Why would a much larger country on the continent of Europe, connecting dozens of significant cities, be a model for an island like Ireland?

Where is this German 'H' pattern in evidence? Does it relate to any issue in the Irish context?

Does a motorway from Cork to Derry actually relate to expected transport demand? For the sake of argument, I'm trying to picture people travelling from Cork to Dublin via (presumably) Limerick and Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Fantasy Island stuff for sure! I'd agree that M7/8/9/ is one motorway too many but to suggest a west coast motorway instead of the M7 and 8 is so bizarre, i can only think that WoT must have a new roads committee!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

lickalike wrote: »
    What ever happened to the development tax passengers are forced to pay on departure.

Its collected by the airline at purchase time, as it delivers a chronically bad impression to passengers to effectively mug them on the way out (ala Knock)

At this stage, I think its game over as I would have expected any takeover of the routes to be announced by now. The airport is just barely large enough for the Q400 and they already had an off-runway incident; its possible they don't want to be risking that multiple times a day as well as the commercial considerations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

MYOB wrote: »
    The airport is just barely large enough for the Q400 and they already had an off-runway incident; its possible they don't want to be risking that multiple times a day as well as the commercial considerations.
    CYTZ 3988ft vs EIWF 4701ft. Almost every flight into/out of CYTZ on a daily basis is a Porter or Air Canada Q400.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

dowlingm wrote: »
    CYTZ 3988ft vs EIWF 4701ft. Almost every flight into/out of CYTZ on a daily basis is a Porter or Air Canada Q400.

Think its turning areas or something, although the AAIU report for the off-runway seems to suggest its within spec and the pilot overcompensated when he didn't need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Here's the report: http://www.aaiu.ie/sites/default/files/report-attachments/REPORT%202012-019.pdf
    This was the first time the Pilot had operated into EIWF. The lack of guidance lines on the threshold turning circle of RWY 21 and the fact that the Pilot was unaware that the diameter of the turning pad was more than adequate for a 180 degree turn, led him to being over cautious while entering the turn. As the Pilot was steering from the left hand side of the cockpit his ability to judge the position of the right hand wheels was impaired. This led to the aircraft being positioned too close to the edge of the pavement area and an inadvertent excursion from the hard surface on to soft gravel, thus becoming stuck. The slow speed at which this happened and the gentle nature of the retardation resulted in no damage to the aircraft.

The Investigation notes turn pad guidance lines were not provided at EIWF in accordance with the requirements of Annex 14 and accordingly a Safety Recommendation is issued in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Johnny901

These incidents happen from time to time, even at the large airports (BA 747 in Shannon many years ago). Waterford's runway is more than long enough for a Dash 8.

I also don't think its "game over" yet for Waterford, they have a lot of local support/goodwill and with SAR and Flybe the airport is far from closing. Anyone watching over the last few years would agree that Aer Arann did not operate the Waterford routes to their full potential. The change to Southend, when Luton was doing well, even in a reccession, was a crazy move.

Hopefully in 2013 Waterford can attract an airline that will develop services in a proper mannrer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lickalike

air2000 wrote: »
    Can I have some of whatever your smoking ....

Air2000, I don't smoke, simply saying it how I find it. A small airport with surplus staff and added extras, funded by passengers yet they cannot keep flights running to and from London. CRAZY!

• Advertisement
Advertisement