Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Location/setting suggestions?

• 28-12-2012 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I hope this is in the correct place.

Basically and simply I am looking for suggestions that anyone may have regarding beachside, affluent, residential areas around the world, English speaking.

My idea of the setting is very much along the lines of The Hamptons, Long Island, New York but as it is so well known I would rather use somewhere else. Has anyone got any suggestion of somewhere which we be very close to the vision of The Hamptons, including the setting, community, the people (particularly the summertime rich visitors) and the long, sandy beaches.

Any help much appreciated. Doesn't matter where in the world it is as long as English is the predominant language of the area. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

What about La Jolla in California?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Clifton, Hout Bay or Bantry Bay in the Cape Town Area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

If you want somewhere that's almost identical to the Hamptons but is not the Hamptons, why not just set it in the Hamptons but change the location and its name to something fictional?

Say "The Dunes" is identical in every way to the Hamtons, except its located in Northern California and is entirely fictional. It doesn't matter if it doesn't exist because your writing will let the reader know the sort of place it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Brittas Bay ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

In fact, a fictional location gives you a chance to be a lot more creative with the surroundings, the landscape and the shops/bars/etc. in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Clifton, Hout Bay or Bantry Bay in the Cape Town Area?

Cape Town is a great suggestion, English speaking and affluent.
    also if you're looking for something less well established in people's minds i'd suggest Port Elizabeth, along the coast of South Africa on the Indian Ocean and very much like Cape Town in terms of it's residence and community.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ahayzer42

Cape Cod? I've been to Provincetown and it is one of the funkiest, coolest little places I've been. There's also Hyannis which is obviously steeped in its Presidential history, therefore lots of sources to find out more about it and it's a stone's throw over to Martha's Vineyard from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I find the idea that an affluent neighbourhood in a South African city could serve as a substitute for an American one more than a little bizarre - that's just shunting a story around as if the social and geographic context in which it unfolds has no relevance.

A ficitonalised version of your original setting is a good idea. Or you could set it in Dalkey...:pac:

Advertisement