Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

os on ps3

• 02-04-2011 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Just a question for anyone out there. My brother is getting his ps3 "converted" to run windows. He belives his ps3 will be a SUPER COMPUTER. I'm not very good at games so i dont bother with the consoles. I know the ps3 is a complex machine but I dont know if it will make the super computer he is hoping rather than buy a high spec laptop?
    I think if i had the money i would buy a laptop/pc with that ability to play games, if i was into games.
    Would the ps3 make for a better computer than a computer/pc/mac????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

its hard to say if it would be better because they so different computers.. windows probably has better compatibility with PC parts than PS3.

PS3 is seriusly well handling linux thou.. then you switch to ps3 mode when want to play games

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

No, definitely not. Windows is designed to run on an X86 processors the PS3 uses a cell processor which is of a completely different architecture. The only way windows can be run on a PS3 is through a virtual machine. This is when a software simulation of an entire machine (processor, ram, graphics) is run inside another OS running on real physical hardware. This way there is a layer of abstraction between the virtual machine and the physical hardware which takes up more processing power and so will run slower than if it was running directly on the physical hardware.

To get windows running on a PS3, first you would need to run Linux on it (as linux can be tailored to run on just about anything), then you would need to run a virtual machine inside linux simulating X86 architecture onto which you could install windows. It would be quiet a bit slower that a basic windows PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Did any of the custom firmwares ever restore Linux functionality?

I thought there were all just for piracy :rolleyes:

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Did any of the custom firmwares ever restore Linux functionality?

I thought there were all just for piracy :rolleyes:

Y. It was the main reason which prompted the creators.

Once my exams are finished I intend on getting yellow dog back on it.

Windows 7 as a supercomputer, you wont find any MS machines in the Top supercomputers.

Here's a solution the US navy achieved by creating a cluster of PS3's.

Advertisement