Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should the womens mini Marathon be banned

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

robinph wrote: »
    A marathon is a specific distance, but in this case the word is just being used to make some women feel that they have accomplished something that they have not

Why do you even *care*????
    Is the fact that you can do a "real" marathon all you have going for you?Why are you so threatened (and yes that IS how you're coming across) by, say, a 58 year old woman who feels good for walking 10 kilometres to raise money for a hospital that helped her sick grandchild get better?

"People are feeling good about themselves" -quick call the police! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

It's not called the Women's Marathon. It's called the Women's "Mini" Marathon. I don't know why people are claiming that it's misleading people into thinking it's a marathon. If you asked for a mini mars bar, would you complain that you didn't get a full size one?

I've ran the full Dublin Marathon twice, and I don't care. It's a bit of fun for a good cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I just realised that I did a 10km sponsered walk when I was in 3rd year in school! I even ran a bit of it.

So can I say that I've done a (mini) marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

janeybabe wrote: »
    I just realised that I did a 10km sponsered walk when I was in 3rd year in school! I even ran a bit of it.

So can I say that I've done a (mini) marathon?

If the women's "mini-marathon" counts I don't see why your sponsored walk shouldn't.;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Is the fact that you can do a "real" marathon all you have going for you? Why are you so threatened (and yes that IS how you're coming across) by, say, a 58 year old woman who feels good for walking 10 kilometres to raise money for a hospital that helped her sick grandchild get better?
    It was a very long time ago that I did my first marathon, and it has yet to be seen if I am actaully capable of doing that distance again due to the effects of the intervening years. No problem at all with any old dears walking around the course and raising money in the process though, although they should maybe try a bit harder to keep out of the way of people that want to run the course, I do have a problem with it being a women only event though.
    Blisterman wrote: »
    If you asked for a mini mars bar, would you complain that you didn't get a full size one?
    Calling the event anything "marathon" is just not logical though apart from anything else as that is a specific distance measurement and there is no similarity between the two distances. A mini Mars bar is still a Mars bar, but just a small one, the event in question has nothing to do with the marathon distance though. It would make as much sense to call it a "big mile race".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Next thet'll be complaining about the "long" mile road!

It should be opened up to men (who aren't in drag) as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Ok lets sum up my opinion on this matter

Q1 is this a big deal to me?
    A1 No I will carry on with my life in exactly the same manner no matter, whether this event is run yearly, weekly or even daily.

Q2 What are my main issues with it?
    A2 Its discriminatory to explicitly deny male participants access in this modern era of Equality for all, no boundaries no difference between the sexes, its wrong, plain and simple and any women who cant see that, are clouded by this idea of equality as rights for women regardless of men and thats not equality. Surely we can all accept that was such a race run across the city of Dublin to explicitly deny women first off it would not get approval from the council secondly every media source would make it headline news were it ok'd by the council.

The use of the term marathon is misleading to all those who say "its not big a deal" or "whats your problem with it" I say right thats fine lets change it so, but its not the core issue and is even less likely to have an impact on my life than the one above is.

Q3 But you can run dressed as a woman?
    A3 Can I honestly say to all you whom replied something similiar to that are you for real? Was that a real opinion?

I mean sure people run the real marathon in fancy dress for their own amusement or for charitable reasons but to suggest I have to dress as a woman to run is obscene and even if I do degrade myself by disguising my sex I'm still not considered a participant I can receive no recognition for completing it because I'm not a valid competitor.

Q4 Did this deserve a thread on boards?
    A4 Yes judging by the amount of posts so far I'm not alone in having an issue with it and surely isn't that what boards is for opinions on issues!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

From what I remember of seeing the finish a few years ago anyone who had gone to the bother of dressing up inorder to take part, and also having paid the entry fee and getting a race number, were then not actually allowed to cross the finish line at the end and were forced to the side and through the barriers before the finish by the marshals.

Maybe the organisers should add an extra 500m or so to the race and call it the women's Quarter Marathon. Would you be happy then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

The problem is not with those people who realise the difference between a 10km and a 42.195 km but rather it is with those women who think "I'm brilliant, I ran a marathon" when they in fact walked 10 km. These Freda's are the ones that bother me and belittle the efforts of real marathoners. The banning of men is also wrong imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

The banning of men is also wrong imo.

Aye, the rest of the arguments I understand but a women's only marathon is a bit off IMHO.

Why doesn't someone here start a mens 10k then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Cos then they'd have nuthin to whinge about Blisterman

Yeah its really a simple task for me to do isn't it :eek::eek:
    Wouldn't at all be easier for an existing event to change its discriminatory rules sure it wouldn't.
    Cos then they'd have nuthin to whinge about Blisterman

Your whinging about my whinging so that makes us all whingers but well done carry on with the social criticisms

Rob_l wrote: »
    Yeah its really a simple task for me to do isn't it :eek::eek:

Nothing impossible about it. If you felt that strongly about it, why not do it, rather than sitting around and bitching about it?

Nothing impossible about it. If you felt that strongly about it, why not do it, rather than sitting around and bitching about it?

I never used the word impossible and lets not start on the issue of complaining or will you next tell I'm not allowed that as its a right reserved exclusively for women :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

Ban it ! are you fckuing mad. Think about where all those women would be if they were not walking around Dublin. At Home. They should have one every week if you want my tuppence worth.

Advertisement