Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nicest check-out assistants in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

There's an Indian woman who works in Dunnes in Kilkenny who might just be the only pleasant shop assistant in the entire shopping centre.

And while I'm here I would like to nominate the entire staff of Argos Kilkenny as the worst shower ever. A customer coming into the shop is a nuisance that stops them from having conversations amongst themselves. They all deserve big fat P45s :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I live in Clondalkin, a nice shop assistant to me is somebody that doesn't mug me... No luck finding one so far :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

phasers wrote: »
    I live in Clondalkin, a nice shop assistant to me is somebody that doesn't mug me... No luck finding one so far :pac:

hehe!

Theres a babe in local chinese who's as pleasant as pie and has a great smile when she's serving...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I think the older the person, the nicer they are. Younger people just think the jobs are below them.

Was in Dunnes in Swords and the two ladies serving me, yes two, were commenting on how nice the coats I was buying were and just having a general chit chat. In Penneys, the girl commented on my perfume and we had a bit of a chat. I've been in Zara twice lately and the young wans behind the counter!!! Jaysus, if I even got a grunt off them I'd be lucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

its got to be River Island in Arnotts.

Really nice young Irish girl fished out loads of jeans and shirts for me in the sales.

And told me what worked and what didnt.

To top it off she was cute but really knew her job

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

how come biko hasnt pissed on this thread and insisted it be moved to the relevent forums?

also, M&S dundrum

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Larianne wrote: »
    I think the older the person, the nicer they are. Younger people just think the jobs are below them.

Was in Dunnes in Swords and the two ladies serving me, yes two, were commenting on how nice the coats I was buying were and just having a general chit chat. In Penneys, the girl commented on my perfume and we had a bit of a chat. I've been in Zara twice lately and the young wans behind the counter!!! Jaysus, if I even got a grunt off them I'd be lucky!

Ill have to disagree with you there Larianne.

My case in point are the over 40 crowd working in my local Dunnes (and i'm sure countless places too), they treat customers with utter contempt throwing their purchases and change over the counter at them. They seem to blame the customers that they're working in a job that they dont want to be in (I've worked in that particular Dunnes too so i've seen them from both sides of the fence).

That said the older-older crowd, over 60's generally are lovely and chat away.

c - 13 wrote: »
    That said the older-older crowd, over 60's generally are lovely and chat away.

Thats cos they're happy not to be dead or locked in some home being "cared" for by "trained professionals"...

another boardie just reminded me that theres a girl in a shop near my home with large tracts of land...super altogether..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

missmatty wrote: »
    I find the people in M&S are the friendliest in general, and it's not put-on. I always notice it when I'm in there :o

The training in M&S is pretty good. Turned me into a smiley friendly person in a few days!

There's a guy in the Centra up the road from me who's lovely. Everyone else in the shop, especially the manager, are total asshats.

There's a girl in Boots in Stephen's Green who's lovely too. Really nice and chatty.
    c - 13 wrote: »
    Plus the trying to get clearance when your buying booze and theres noone around to clear it for you.

Just wait ten seconds and it should stop asking for clearance.

Actually I was standing at a self-service checkout with my bottle of lucozade in my hands and the wagon in front of me had scanned a swiss roll and then decided she didn't want it and had fecked off somewhere with it and the checkout was screaming at me to put the swiss roll on the bagging area. A woman who worked there came over and kept telling me to put the swiss roll down. It took me ten minutes of waving the lucozade in front of her face to make her realise that I didn't bloody well have the swiss roll. She looked really pissed off. I felt like I should apologise for making her do her job or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I'm a friendly Dunnes sales assistant! Don't work in grocery though. I go out of my way to search for things in sizes and get other stores to hold stuff, so much so the fitting room goes to ****e. On a big helping buzz this week..

I'm not friendly when I've had a day with 3+ bastard customers. But I don't grunt.

• Advertisement

i find dunnes assistants really friendly - i go shopping with my daughter and you lot are great

i dunno about dunnes staff.. they never come into the changing room when I give them the patented wink...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I'm a friendly Dunnes sales assistant! Don't work in grocery though. I go out of my way to search for things in sizes and get other stores to hold stuff, so much so the fitting room goes to ****e. On a big helping buzz this week..

I'm not friendly when I've had a day with 3+ bastard customers. But I don't grunt.

Hurray for cripplingly helpful people! I was one of these in my job, it's great fun! Do you work in a far away Dunnes? Cos i've still only ever met one happy person in Dunnes ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

theres a nice girl works in a little popcorn/candy floss stand thingy outside the cinema in the Square in Tallaght. One of my mates always gets an ice-cream out of it (baby :D) but one day there was only about barely a scoop left of the particular flavour he wanted.

She scraped as much as she possibly could have out of the tub and it just looked stupid with a little piddly amount of ice-cream on it. she just started laughing and said "just take it, i wont charge you for that". the lucky b@stard ;)

Also the Chinese/Polish/Indian workers are generally very nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

fonpokno wrote: »
    There's a lovely fella working in Dunnes in Stephen's Green in the restaurant and he is the only happy person I've ever seen working in any Dunnes ever.

He's actually lovely! Smiles and makes eye contact and a bit of banter, he's just a sweetheart!
    I bet you tried to hug him :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I bet you tried to hug him :P

No, unfortunately I don't yet have the balls to hug total strangers... I'm working on it though.

Few drinks and I hug guards and all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

*Twitches*

"Do you have a clubcard? Would you like to keep the hangers? Oh, I love the colour of this top! <insert more polite conversation here> Would you like Cashback? You can take the card out there now, thanks very much. See you now, take care!"

Edit: I didn't read the rest of the thread, but my Dunnes crowd and I are very nice. We're paid to be.

well im at one with the bunch in Zara in the Pavalions

the ones that pinned up my jeans and got them taken up and told me how good I looked in them.

Im a guy and they were really helpful.

you being taking your mum';s oestrogen tablets again?

• Advertisement

ewj1978 wrote: »
    you being taking your mum';s oestrogen tablets again?

now now - hey - all im saying is check out the assistants in Zara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Luvly elderly lady in Tommy Wonderland in uniform part in Coolock,,,,helpful, polite and just nice, thankyou lady:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

janeybabe wrote: »
    The training in M&S is pretty good. Turned me into a smiley friendly person in a few days!

There's a guy in the Centra up the road from me who's lovely. Everyone else in the shop, especially the manager, are total asshats.

There's a girl in Boots in Stephen's Green who's lovely too. Really nice and chatty.

Just wait ten seconds and it should stop asking for clearance.

Actually I was standing at a self-service checkout with my bottle of lucozade in my hands and the wagon in front of me had scanned a swiss roll and then decided she didn't want it and had fecked off somewhere with it and the checkout was screaming at me to put the swiss roll on the bagging area. A woman who worked there came over and kept telling me to put the swiss roll down. It took me ten minutes of waving the lucozade in front of her face to make her realise that I didn't bloody well have the swiss roll. She looked really pissed off. I felt like I should apologise for making her do her job or something.
    It wont clear in ten seconds,it takes somebody to clear it for you as its alcohol.Also to be fair we have to look after not just you but other people as well,we dont have eyes in the back of the head.

marti101 wrote: »
    It wont clear in ten seconds,it takes somebody to clear it for you as its alcohol.Also to be fair we have to look after not just you but other people as well,we dont have eyes in the back of the head.

Well the one in Mahon Point clears after 10 seconds. And I am aware that I'm not the only one they have to help but when the staff are just standing at the end of the self-service checkout chatting and not helping anyone I would expect service. I know what it's like to work in retail, I've done it myself. (And I'd never do it again, it's an awful job.) Also, you say we don't have eyes in the back of the head yet I wasn't aware I was talking about you. Just one or two in Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

All im saying is if it cleared itself after 10 seconds how could it stop a child from buying alcohol.People think that you stand there and the machine does all the work everybody in all walks of life stand around and talk.its happened to me while i was waiting on service it doesnt only happen in supermarkets.How do you know you werent talking bout me,you dont know where i work.

marti101 wrote: »
    All im saying is if it cleared itself after 10 seconds how could it stop a child from buying alcohol.People think that you stand there and the machine does all the work everybody in all walks of life stand around and talk.its happened to me while i was waiting on service it doesnt only happen in supermarkets.How do you know you werent talking bout me,you dont know where i work.

And what I'm saying is that in my experience of buying alcohol in Tesco the machine has asked for staff clearance and then after about ten seconds the message disappears and I have been allowed to proceed with the rest of my shopping. I'm not saying it's right, but that's how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Frelance

Im not too surprised the big companies seem to have friendly staff. I work for Asda and we're coached on Happy to help procedures.
    There are regular mystery shoppers and rewards are offered if you score high. Repeated high scores get better prizes. Im sure other business' do the same.

Im always cheerful :) Doubt anyone here has ever been to enniskillen asda though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

im a pleasant cúnt 99% of the time, just dont catch me when im dying for a curer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

That'll all change once you see your first payslip ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Ha I've been there a year, almost. I'm on €9.22, which will go up next month, that's more than most of the high street I'll have you know.

Advertisement