Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Psoriasis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭twentysomething

Most of my Mum's and some of my dad's family have been affected by psoriasis, my mum to the extent that she had to attend Holles St for a good while to help with it at one stage, but it is pretty manageable now, although she had every cream going. She doesnt really need any treatment for it at the moment and hasn't for the last number of years, she just avoids stuff that she knows aggravates it...so diet can have alot to do with it.
    I get it myself from time to time on my scalp, mostly when i'm stressed, or sometimes if i switch shampoo, it can have a pretty much instant effect on it, damn nice smelling shampoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

There is a product produced by Abbott called Humira that is a treatment for psoriasis and rhumatoid arthritis and other conditions. Its an immunosuppressant so I'd be very cautious about using it. There can be some side affects, serious side affects. Personally I don't think I'd ever use it after reading what the side affects are. Google it for more info or check out this link, www.humira.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

I've had psoriasis on my scalp since I was a child. I have learned that certain things trigger it(stress, diet, alcohol) whereas warm weather clears it up. I have never found any great benefit with any of the creams/shampoos prescribed from the doctor and nothing I have ever tried has elleviated it sufficiently. I have been dealing with it by washing my hair daily but it is a real irritation. I thought that sure if that's my cross to bear then so be it I could very well be worse off.

The last while though I have been noticing it spread, firstly to my ear lobes and now to my knuckles and lower arms.. I am wondering has anyone noticed that it gets worse in adulthood?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 RuthyB

I've had psoriasis most of my life. Its quite prevalent in my family (my bro has it too and a few cousins and aunts/uncles have it too)

Ive tried loads of different creams and lotions (Dovobet, Dovonex, Coal Tar, Urea, Cortisone, Dithrocream,Psoriderm to name a few) Ive done two lots of PUVA treatments and am waiting to start my third. There's a 10 week waiting list just to get the patch testing done. Sunlight is on of the only things that helps to clear mine

Although I always have patches of it, stress and strep throats make mine flare and it can take months for it to go away.

I find that Oilatum products are fantastic for keeping it moisturised. The bath emulsion is fantastic if you have a lot. Just stick a capful or two into the bath and soak yourself for about 10-15 mins and pat yourself down after with a towel (dont rub... just pat). This usually keeps me baby smooth for about 48 hours. I also get big tubs of White Parafin Gel (can buy it over the counter for about 7 euro) I put it on in the shower when my skin is wet and then rinse off the excess. Makes my skin nice and soft. (take care getting out of the bath/shower after using these products as they make make them quite slippy!)

To the OP: I'd recommend getiing referred to a dermatologist to get a definate diagnosis. Try and get as much literature about the condition as you can. I find that a lot of GP's dont know a lot about the condition so the best thing you can do is read up on psoriasis, and the different treatments available to you. Unfortunately anything you see on the internet offering a cure is a scam. There is no cure for psoriasis, it is a chronic condition. Some of these products on the web may well offer you some relief, but unfortunately there is no cure :(.

If you do want any support you should go to this site. http://www.psoriasis-help.org.uk/community/ Everybody who posts here either has psoriasis or has somebody close to them with it. There is an enormous amount of info in the boards, and they really are a great bunch of guys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Alessandra wrote: »
    I've had psoriasis on my scalp since I was a child. I have learned that certain things trigger it(stress, diet, alcohol) whereas warm weather clears it up. I have never found any great benefit with any of the creams/shampoos prescribed from the doctor and nothing I have ever tried has elleviated it sufficiently. I have been dealing with it by washing my hair daily but it is a real irritation. I thought that sure if that's my cross to bear then so be it I could very well be worse off.

The last while though I have been noticing it spread, firstly to my ear lobes and now to my knuckles and lower arms.. I am wondering has anyone noticed that it gets worse in adulthood?

Polytar? Smells awful but works for me...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

RuthyB wrote: »
    I've had psoriasis most of my life. Its quite prevalent in my family (my bro has it too and a few cousins and aunts/uncles have it too)

Ive tried loads of different creams and lotions (Dovobet, Dovonex, Coal Tar, Urea, Cortisone, Dithrocream,Psoriderm to name a few) Ive done two lots of PUVA treatments and am waiting to start my third. There's a 10 week waiting list just to get the patch testing done. Sunlight is on of the only things that helps to clear mine

Although I always have patches of it, stress and strep throats make mine flare and it can take months for it to go away.

I find that Oilatum products are fantastic for keeping it moisturised. The bath emulsion is fantastic if you have a lot. Just stick a capful or two into the bath and soak yourself for about 10-15 mins and pat yourself down after with a towel (dont rub... just pat). This usually keeps me baby smooth for about 48 hours. I also get big tubs of White Parafin Gel (can buy it over the counter for about 7 euro) I put it on in the shower when my skin is wet and then rinse off the excess. Makes my skin nice and soft. (take care getting out of the bath/shower after using these products as they make make them quite slippy!)

To the OP: I'd recommend getiing referred to a dermatologist to get a definate diagnosis. Try and get as much literature about the condition as you can. I find that a lot of GP's dont know a lot about the condition so the best thing you can do is read up on psoriasis, and the different treatments available to you. Unfortunately anything you see on the internet offering a cure is a scam. There is no cure for psoriasis, it is a chronic condition. Some of these products on the web may well offer you some relief, but unfortunately there is no cure :(.

If you do want any support you should go to this site. http://www.psoriasis-help.org.uk/community/ Everybody who posts here either has psoriasis or has somebody close to them with it. There is an enormous amount of info in the boards, and they really are a great bunch of guys :D

Yep it runs in my family as well.

The constant itch is driving me insane lately.

I have allergies and asthma and I read these are linked with psoriasis also.
    Thanks for all the info :)

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Polytar? Smells awful but works for me...

Yes used Polytar for 5years(with not so much result) use it now and again. Also use some prescribed tar cream called cocois might give it a go again.

Alessandra wrote: »

Mine has definately gotten worse in the last 5 - 6 years.

I've had psoriasis since i was about 4 or 5. My first trip to a dermatologist was on my 6th birthday. I had plaque psoriasis back then but when i was 16 and sitting my leaving cert i got an outbreak of guttate psoriasis and I've had it ever since. (Im 23 now)

My scalp has always been bad, I find that Cocois cream is great. (Smells a bit funky though) You can buy it in the chemist for about 20 euro. I slap it on to the hard bumpy parts and leave it soak in for about 10-20 mins. Then take a fine toothed comb and remove the flakes. Polytar shampoo, although it doesnt smell too good, is good for relieving the itch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mkem

Hi, when my younger sister and brother were born both had eczema when they were born. My sister had it very bad, cracked bleeding skin under the armpits and backs of the knees, ect.., she was on some sort of steroid cream which worked for a while but was less effective after a while. Our local district nurse was a nun who suggested goats milk so out of desperation, my parents decided to try it. This was back in the early eighties so you couldn't get it at your local supermarket, however they found a man who had a few goats about 10 miles away. Within a week of her using the milk, her skin totally cleared up , so much so we bought a goat. My brother had it while on formula milk, and when he was put on the goats milk, his cleared up also. The've never had it back. Hope this helps anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Miss Minnie

My mam and her sister have suffered with this for a long long time, my aunt is worse. Both use tar shampoo to help with the psoriasis on their head. My mam has always used an ointment, I'm really sorry I don't know the name, its off white, very liquid and is in a brown glass bottle, I used to help mam administer it. Like people have mentioned, the sun helps her, she even resorted to a sun bed once on doctors advice! But unfortunately she had a heat rash reaction so that was that! The main thing with mam is stress, he skin can be relatively clear for years and then get really bad as soon as something majorly stressful happens (say a death or something).
    Oh and recently she tried some new "all singing all dancing cream" that was DEF gonna work...and it made her worse, much worse. So if you are trying new creams, take care to test it.
    As I said, my aunt has it too yet her treatment is very different and she gets it in different places so I suppose it a trial and error approach, good luck. I do know my mam lives happily with it though so be inspired :)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Oh psoriasis is the devils work!! Have it for years too especially on my scalp with is a nightmare. Tried everything and spent a fortune too!! Some work for a while. But read today in The Irish DAily Mail about this indigo ointment. Some chinese herbal stuff. I google it and lots came up but none about buying it. Wonder if anyone could shed some light on this?? Goat milk shampoo is very good though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have had psoriasis for a good number of years. Luckily though it is mostly confined to my scalp, where it isn't too obvious to see.
    I did have a bit of a flare up on my back a few years ago, but during the following summer, i did a lot of outdoor work in the sun, and it cleared up a lot, and has not returned since. So i have to agree that sunlight can help (in moderation of course).
    Also was reading about this new stuff called Indigo Naturalis, which seems very promising, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/583834

ElCrapula wrote: »

The treatment involves bathing in a hot tub with approximately 200 fish for two-hour periods over six days.
    www.independent.ie/national-news/gone-fishin-for-skin-therapy-1425981.html

:eek: 12 hours in a bath of wriggling nibbling fishes.....I'll take the psorasis thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

DonFred wrote: »
    Oh psoriasis is the devils work!! Have it for years too especially on my scalp with is a nightmare. Tried everything and spent a fortune too!! Some work for a while. But read today in The Irish DAily Mail about this indigo ointment. Some chinese herbal stuff. I google it and lots came up but none about buying it. Wonder if anyone could shed some light on this?? Goat milk shampoo is very good though.

I think i might have found it for you. www.champori.com . Check out the american and english psoriasis websites and forums. www.psoriasis.org www.psoriasis-help.org.uk You will probably find some reviews on those websites about that cream

• Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Moonbaby wrote: »
    :eek: 12 hours in a bath of wriggling nibbling fishes.....I'll take the psorasis thanks.

I'll try the fish... so long... and thanks for the...!!

Well, the good weather is here and that always provides a bit of relief :D!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Just did a quick google on the ointment... looks pretty cool.

A few pages mention that it does stain your skin and clothes, but it can be washed off in the shower.

Cant seem to find any irish sites selling it though.

Did it mention any places that sell it in the paper??

No, was nothing in the paper. Its a pity cause would rather buy in shop or from Irish/UK site. ITs worth a go I say.

No, was nothing in the paper. Its a pity cause would rather buy in shop or from Irish/UK site. ITs worth a go I say.

Ta Da!!!!!

http://www.springherb.co.uk

This is the only one i could find

They are based in the UK and ship to Ireland:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Im pretty sure i got this over the last while.

I've always had terrible dry skin and scap dry patches but now i got the red patches on my body!

Flippin annoying, got to go to the doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Eczema appears as red and rash like too, Weathercheck, so it could be that maybe?

My psoriasis is really bad at the moment especially my scalp. Can anyone recommend me a good one? Tried Capasal and its useless. Am giving chemical free stuff a chance so am using Goat milk shampoo and a bar from Lush called Soak and Float but need a good coal tar based one. What do people think of Dermacinz? http://www.dermacinz.co.uk/

Cheers all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Springroll

Hi. I've had guttate psoriasis since October, so for about 8 months now. It was all over my whole body, starting on my torso and quickly spreading to arms and legs and scalp even. My doctor prescribed a cream called Dovobet. This reduced it a lot - where it was a 10 it was down to a 4. However, it has caused my skin to go white in patches where I used it so be careful if you are using it to only use it for a week or 2. I switched to Dovonex which does not thin out your skin. It took a while to nitice results, but after about 2 months the patches started dissapearing. Unfortunately I got another bout of tonsilitis, which is what caused the condidtion in the first place, and it has flared up again. However it is not as bad as before and I am confident the Dovonex will keep working, I was fully clear everywhere but my legs which were half clear before the second flare. Also I am going away on a sun holiday in a month and I have heard that clears things for most people. My sister's wedding is 2 days after I get back so fingers crossed! By the way I went to see a dermatologist provately and he prescribed a useless cream which did not work! (everybody's different)

I have had psoriasis for the last 20 years since i was about 2 months old. If you have bad psoriasis or really want to get rid of it, ask your dermatologist about a tablet called cyclosporin, i'm on it for the last 8 weeks and i have improved hugely and its brilliant because you only have to take a tablet twice a day and you don't have to spend 15 minutes at night putting on creams, also i found that the dovonex and dovobet creams worked wonders for me a few years back. The producers of dovonex (Leo laboratoires) have released a new scalp solution back in january called Xamoil which is the best one i have ever used. Cocois is also a good scalp solution that really calms down the psoriasis. If you want to calm down your psoriasis in the short term i would reccomend a cream called betanovate which is very fast acting but it can only be used short term because it is a steroid.

Hope this is of some help to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭haven27

I'd be wary of cyclosporine being recommened as some magic drug, while it's great that it's cleared your bad psoriasis it is an immunosuppressant and not a step to be taken lightly. That said unfortunately there is still no magical cure, am in the middle of uvb for my (mild) guttate psoriasis and it is starting to clear up that way.

Anyone know where UVB lamps can be bought? The sun seems to be good for my psoriasis, but who knows when we'll see that again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 menta

Sykk wrote: »
    Hey all,

So I have been to around 4 different doctors over a skin condition I've had for around a year. 2 didn't know and 2 said I have psoriasis. It's very annoying, looks bad, and has a chance of spreading...

I have it on some parts of my head and the doctor told me there is no cure for it, it's only containable.

I have done some looking up on the web about cures, and some people say it's not cureable, some say it is. I have yet to go to a dermatolisist (I've one booked) or a chinese herbalist.

Does anyone else have this skin problem? If so what are you taking for it? And does anyone know if it's actually cureable or not.

Thanks in advance.

I get it on my head too and have to use Polytar at least once a week which usually stops the itching.

Mine is stress related, so I'm more or less tied to psoriasis. Aside from that I suffer from bowel related issues so that can flair it up too.

I get it on my face aswell and I just use a cream which prevents the dryness - Aqueous Cream. Even though that has led to dry patches at my temples too so who knows.

There is no cure as far as I'm concerned. However, overtime mine has eased off. My arms and face were destroyed when I was in 5th or 6th class and I've never experienced that level of severity again.

My psoriasis is really bad at the moment especially my scalp. Can anyone recommend me a good one? Tried Capasal and its useless. Am giving chemical free stuff a chance so am using Goat milk shampoo and a bar from Lush called Soak and Float but need a good coal tar based one. What do people think of Dermacinz? http://www.dermacinz.co.uk/

Cheers all.

I use nothing else now Don, I have been using the Dermacinz producsts for over 2 years now , and the shampoo is fantastic , I get it from the above web site you mentioned , but they also have another site http://www.dermacinz.com this one goes into a lot more details about the products etc ..... anyone considering it give it a try ..

Gerry
    om

Hi all psoriasis suffers. Ive being trying new things. One was to use just shampoo with no chemicals like Elave or Lush Soak n Float and I did notice a little change. Also tried this new cream called Zum Rub lemongrass. It really calms the skin down. Friend of mine got it in the markets in Howth can also try this website www.indigowild.com.
    Worth a try all.......

Just thought I'd share my own experience!

I've had patches of plaque psoriasis on my elbows since I was a teenager. They were never very big or noticeable, and never really bothered me all that much. I only ever used ordinary moisturiser on them, whatever I happened to be using at the time.

Also, back then, I could use any shower gel, moisturiser, body lotion, fake tan etc that I wanted without getting any reactions - totally took it for granted, can't do that anymore unfortunately!

Anyways, about three years ago when I was 22, I noticed a couple of very small red flaky patches appearing in random places. Within two weeks, my body was covered in them - pretty much everywhere except my face and neck (thankfully!) The chemist recommended E45 Hc45 Hydrocortisone Cream, which had no effect at all.

So I went to the doctor, who diagnosed guttate psoriasis, and prescribed me Dovobet. It cleared up the psoriasis pretty much completely after just 3-4 days, however no matter how slowly I'd try to wean myself off it by reducing quantity/frequency of application, the psoriasis would come back - no worse than before, but every bit as bad, with all the little patches in the exact same places. I was on the Dovobet for maybe 2-3 months altogether ... while I'd hate to go back on it, it's good to know that it works at least short-term, if I wanted to get rid of the psoriasis for a big occasion or something. By the way, there are all sorts of reasons why you shouldn't stay on the Dovobet long-term, and also its not actually meant to be used on guttate psoriasis, which is why I'm not using it as a long-term fix.

So, I switched to Dovonex. When I cut out the Dovobet, the psoriasis got bad again - but the Dovonex worked on it slowly but surely, and it was under control within about three months, and I was able to stop using the Dovonex. So, in my own experience, it might work far more slowly but is a better long-term solution.

Anyways, after that, I quickly realised that I needed to pay attention to what skincare products I used. I could no longer just use whatever was in the bathroom! I tried LOTS of the special products, e.g. E45, Aveeno, coal tar stuff, Oilatum, various emolliant creams, aqueous cream, and various other brands recommended by the doctor and chemist. They all made me flare up, and I needed to go back on the Dovonex to calm my skin down again.

After a lengthy trial-and-error process, I found that what works for me is: Nivea "Creme Soft" or "Sensitive Balance" shower gels. And Dove Silk Glow moisturiser, the one in the little tub. And that's it! Can't use Dove shower get or Nivea moisturiers, can't even use other Dove moisturisers, etc.

I can't use fake tans, except for Sally Henson for legs, I'd only use that very occassionally though.

More recently, I have discovered Bio-Oil - amazing stuff. I've only a few stubborn little patches left, and the Bio-Oil is really clearing them up. I'm currently using the Nivea shower get, as above, and just using Bio-Oil as moisturiser, and it seems to be working very well at the moment.

What I eat doesn't seem to affect it very much - the only things that I find make it worse are if I eat a lot of tomatos or drink a lot of alcohol. But I'd need to be eating/drinking a lot several days in a row for it to have any effect.

So basically, it's all pretty much under control now. I suppose, in my experience, as others have said it's really just a matter of experimenting for yourself and finding out what works for you. And it's not necessarily going to be the expensive products that everyone raves about that will work! Keep an open mind, and hopefully you'll find a solution for your own skin eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wyldeflower

I had Psoriasis quite bad after having my daughter and was even in hospital a few times with it then itsbeen up and down for many years just on joints and scalp but about 5 years ago i was diagnosed with pernicious anemia and had to get b12 injections and the psoriasis dissapeared so as its a branch of autoimune i guess thats why i had it so severe i was really ill with it at times..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Hey,
    ... there is a really great cream called Emulsifying Cream....
    KatCookie wrote: »
    ...emulsifying cream...

Doesn't exist, folks. You might be referring to Emulsifying Ointment, or to Aqueous Cream, but there ain't no such thing as Emulsifying Cream.

Advertisement