Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

And free syntax highlighting program for Windows?

• 27-06-2008 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭

Up to now Ive hand coded all my web pages with Homesite 4.5, because the syntax color coding is very helpful and speeds up the process.

Im still using the 60 day free trial (after two years;)), and Im just wondering is there any free/open-source program that would have similar capabilities?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Ok, just found Notepad++!! Looks good, although different colours will take a while to get used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Notepad++ has syntax highlighting for a whole lot of different languages.

[edit] Ahh snap :D

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Notepad++ is the boards.ie developer's editor of choice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

I use editplus, which does syntax highlighting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

CuLT wrote: »
    Notepad++ is the boards.ie developer's editor of choice ;)

Delighted to have gotten approval for my choice!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

matrim wrote: »
    I use editplus, which does syntax highlighting

Yep, but it ain't free. At least no more free than HomeSite 4.5 it would seem. Well worth $35 though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Woohoo - another favourite editor thread! I use Crimson Editor which is free. It can edit files on an FTP server on the fly, which I find extremely handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

I find TextPad is the most universal editor. It has syntax highlight plugins for all languages I dealt with. And it doesn't force you to buy it so you can use it legally for al long as you want. The only problem is poor support for Unicode (my version is 4.5). To overcome this, sometimes I use PSPad which is also very flexible and 100% free.

Advertisement