Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Demands for ban on camper van parking

• 23-09-2014 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Now it's Dungarvans turn. I wonder what the local businesses will have to say when theirs tills reflect the loss of income.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/demands-for-ban-oncamper-van-parking-288036.html

These Councillors must never have seen the entourage of camper vans which follow cycle races throughout Europe. You only have to watch TG4 or Euronews broadcasts of those events and you will see hundreds of campers along the routes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The example to look up here is Australia. It's gone from a culture of "free camping" with low cost commercial sites available to a situation where pressure from business interests has made free camping difficult/illegal in most areas and the cost of commercial sites have gone up heavily. I'm actually surprised it took so long for the business lobby to get onboard here.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

Just back from France and spent a small fortune on Shopping, Souvenirs, Wine, Diesel in multiple towns.

Why can't we be more like the French- if you want a high end campsite with all the facilities you can book it, if you just want a cheap stopover you can get an Aire.

Either way, it's legal, it's encouraged & you're putting money into the local economy, everyone wins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

I dont know .... are these things enforceable? Will they move on a Transit-convert but leave a builder's Transit? The classic VW camper is smaller than a lot of 4x4. Is this a thinly disguised attempt to stop the native-displaced-irish (ie the travelers) from parking up en-mass ? I think this is another example of the 'no overnight parking' rule, thats really aimed at campers, and nothing is done to cars that park overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Similar moves being made in Wexford :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AutostratusEB

We stopped over in the coach parking spots by the harbour in Dungarvan mid week at the end of August. We considered clonea caravan park but the weather wasn't great and we'd read a lot of bad reviews on the caravan park & staff. So we went into Dungarvan, dropped €70 in a great pub with food and did a shop spending around €30 in the nearby Supervalu the next day. There were 4 other vans there that night. We stayed in cobh the following 2 nights eating out locally both nights & into Cork on the train during the day.
    Just my 2 cents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pastense

A classic case of people being adamantly against something they know nothing about.
    Its Ok though because the ferries to France are full of Irish camper vans every summer going to spend their cash in a country they feel welcome.
    Leave it to them and flock to Cobh and other places that want us.
    Go only where you're wanted and the others will come around soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Should have been in Lisdoonvarna last week. CamperVan /caravan central. Bet they spent a fortune....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Can you specify exactly where please?
    Having trouble finding details.

thanks

We stopped over in the coach parking spots by the harbour in Dungarvan mid week at the end of August. We considered clonea caravan park but the weather wasn't great and we'd read a lot of bad reviews on the caravan park & staff. So we went into Dungarvan, dropped €70 in a great pub with food and did a shop spending around €30 in the nearby Supervalu the next day. There were 4 other vans there that night. We stayed in cobh the following 2 nights eating out locally both nights & into Cork on the train during the day.
    Just my 2 cents.

Discussion hotting up in Dungarvan. 2 articles in local Observer newspaper last week. Both very pro campers. Strong repudiation of Councillor Nugent's claim of the large numbers on the occasion of the Sean Kelly Cycle Weekend in this week's Leader newspaper.

Councillors being lobbied before next meeting. Why not go onto Waterford Council website and get councillors email addresses and point out the economic value, comparison with other countries etc.

I intend doing so. Support would be welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I dont know .... are these things enforceable? Will they move on a Transit-convert but leave a builder's Transit? The classic VW camper is smaller than a lot of 4x4. Is this a thinly disguised attempt to stop the native-displaced-irish (ie the travelers) from parking up en-mass ? I think this is another example of the 'no overnight parking' rule, thats really aimed at campers, and nothing is done to cars that park overnight.

They will not be approached about this, not that I think they utilise campervans much, just that they will not be approached

• Advertisement

cerastes wrote: »
    They will not be approached about this, not that I think they utilise campervans much, just that they will not be approached

The issue in Dungarvan seems to be one councillor possibly promoting the viewpoint of 1 or 2 very interested parties.
    Unable or unwilling to see the bigger picture or the greater good.
    The local business community were up in arms about rate increases, I'm sure they would not be too happy about efforts now underway to reduce their potential opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rocoso

can you tell where are?

rocoso wrote: »
    can you tell where are?

Sorry, do not understand the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

piuswal wrote: »

Councillors being lobbied before next meeting. Why not go onto Waterford Council website and get councillors email addresses and point out the economic value, comparison with other counties etc.
    FYP, show them the example in Cobh and that it can actually bring business into a town not drive it away.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    FYP, show them the example in Cobh and that it can actually bring business into a town not drive it away.

Done.

All have got an email making all of the positive points made in this forum, in others and in the media.

What is needed now is more people to make the same points just in case they think it's just a very small few cranks.

As you might be aware the Councillor leading the campaign against motor homes made a grossly exaggerated claim as regards numbers on one particular occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

CJhaughey wrote: »

Sources tell me that Cobh are planning to increase the number of marked parking places over the coming winter, install services and levy a modest daily charge. In effect Cobh will be providing what we are used to when we visit France.

AND a number of councillors from the Dungarvan/Lismore electoral area have also visited Cobh and Midleton on a fact finding mission.

Watch this space, there is a lot of lobbying going on under the surface.

Additional direct emails to councillors can only be helpful, such emails could also be copied to the likes of a towns Junior Chamber or other organisations which represent the local business interests.

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Sources tell me that Cobh are planning to increase the number of marked parking places over the coming winter, install services and levy a modest daily charge. In effect Cobh will be providing what we are used to when we visit France.

AND a number of councillors from the Dungarvan/Lismore electoral area have also visited Cobh and Midleton on a fact finding mission.

Watch this space, there is a lot of lobbying going on under the surface.

Additional direct emails to councillors can only be helpful, such emails could also be copied to the likes of a towns Junior Chamber or other organisations which represent the local business interests.

Great news.

Have 2 replies so far from Councillors. One positive and the other waiting to hear all the facts but saying he thinks both campsites and Aires can coexist.

Intend emailing all business I can get email addresses from Chamber of Commerce later today.

Anyone see all of the parking that seems to be available in New Ross?
    Did not see any Camper specific signs but the availability of space seems remarkable.

Where in Cobh are they planning the spaces or have the spaces?

many thanks

Article from Dungarvan Leader this week

Great news.

Have 2 replies so far from Councillors. One positive and the other waiting to hear all the facts but saying he thinks both campsites and Aires can coexist.

Intend emailing all business I can get email addresses from Chamber of Commerce later today.

Anyone see all of the parking that seems to be available in New Ross?
    Did not see any Camper specific signs but the availability of space seems remarkable.

Where in Cobh are they planning the spaces or have the spaces?

many thanks

There are currently ten (I think) and the plan is to add more along the same line, see the attached photo

Thanks for that.

Email addresses of all Waterford Councillors.

Have email more than 60 local businesses also.

They have been hit with large rates increases this year and are very annoyed with the council.

Thanks for the Cobh image

• Advertisement

There are currently ten (I think) and the plan is to add more along the same line, see the attached photo

Anyone any idea as to how many campers there are north and south?

Might be useful to have a ball park figure for future reference . Cobh news is great. Thanks again Niloc

Heard Dolmen insure c 10k north and south and that is a very significant percentage of the market?

I also heard that you can go straight to Dolmen and get a quote - I know there's another thread dealing with insurance will post it there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Anyone any idea as to how many campers there are north and south?

Might be useful to have a ball park figure for future reference . Cobh news is great. Thanks again Niloc

Heard Dolmen insure c 10k north and south and that is a very significant percentage of the market?

I also heard that you can go straight to Dolmen and get a quote - I know there's another thread dealing with insurance will post it there also.

When the debate on testing was going on the RSA told me that there were just over 13k campers registered in the republic and just over 10k taxed.

Malta1 wrote: »

Thanks Malta1,

They copied and pasted OK for me from the word doc. :D

Anyone out there interested in doing the Kerry Councillors, for starters.

What order should we prioritise the 'hit list' :)

We got listened to when motor caravan testing was an issue, let's keep the ball rolling on this one now. We have six months to try and change attitudes before next spring.

Just a word of caution. Please try and avoid any reference to 'wild camping', it's OVERNIGHT PARKING we need, just like on mainland Europe

Click on the following link to see the difference THE DIFFERENCE

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

I wonder is it worth generating a standard e-mail, like we done with the RSA?
    I guess the Dungarvan one is slightly different in that we are responding to a specific newspaper article......probably the same is true for Kerry

But perhaps for the rest of them, a more general e-mail outlining the benifits to the area of overnight parking facilities might be in order?

Sources tell me that some of the councillors who spoke out against the motorhome parking are to visit Midleton and Cobh to see what's provided there. Local print media reports that a different two visited the above towns last week in the company of representatives of The Phoenix Motorhome Club, local media also reports that the club has been invited to make a presentation to the councillors prior to their November meeting.

There is such a strong reaction to what took place at the September meeting of the Councillors that a u-turn could be on the cards and Dungarvan may well get an official motorhome parking place :)

Sources tell me that some of the councillors who spoke out against the motorhome parking are to visit Midleton and Cobh to see what's provided there. Local print media reports that a different two visited the above towns last week in the company of representatives of The Phoenix Motorhome Club, local media also reports that the club has been invited to make a presentation to the councillors prior to their November meeting.

There is such a strong reaction to what took place at the September meeting of the Councillors that a u-turn could be on the cards and Dungarvan may well get an official motorhome parking place :)

That's encouraging.
    I'd be delighted to help with any efforts to canvass support with other LAs.
    I was in Dungarvan last week, sans MH and raised the issue with a few people. All were positive.
    Propose emailing both Councillors and business people again in the coming week.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

I emailed my thoughts on this subject to all the councillors in Waterford listed above on Tuesday 30th September .
    I only got 1 reply and it supported our views on this matter .
    Can I or should I name the councillor that replied ?
    Kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

Now, this is interesting
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTPGpgabWbY but notice the sign. Where's the reference to no parking of motor-caravans :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pastense

Now, this is interesting
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTPGpgabWbY but notice the sign. Where's the reference to no parking of motor-caravans :rolleyes:

There is an image of a CamperVan on the sign but what I'd like to know is, how is this 'law' enforced and what are the consequences of breaking this 'law'.
    Its great to hear the local support and having decided not to visit Kerry ever again in my Campervan I'm now having a small change of mind but I'll watch this space because nobody will stop me from going where I want in my own country.
    Kerry isn't a republic within a republic no more or less than any other county and while their councillors may have a little clout we don't elect them to deny rights to other Irish citizens.

Advertisement