Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fringe S04E19 "Letters of Transit" [** SPOILERS **]

• 15-04-2012 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭

fringe-bb-570x295.jpg

The FRINGE tradition of a mind-bending 19th episode continues as the story jumps ahead to 2036, when the Observers and the Fringe team engage in a game-changing battle.

Fringe S04E19 "Letters of Transit" 45 votes

Fringetastic
    0% 0 votes
    Very Good
    86% 39 votes
    OK
    6% 3 votes
    Not So Good
    4% 2 votes
    Awful
    2% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Where to start, fantastic episode..mind blown...need to go watch it again and take in everything before I can even write a proper post, Walter was brilliant in it. Arggh my brain hurts, cant wait for the next episode!

That was just amazing, Ball tingling good in fact. Tis gonna be a long wait till next Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

That was absolutely awesome! I want an entire spin-off set in 2036 now :D

Anyone else expecting Desmond to say "See you in another life" just before he jumped into the amber.

Excellent.

I finally spotted an Observer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Great episode. Mind blowing stuff. Just wish they would be continuing on with the future setting next week,for a few episodes anyway but guess we need to get back to the present day storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Um... greatest episode of any show ever too much of a statement? Nah.

I want to know what happens now!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

If they get a fifth season they better do an episode to finish that story out, otherwise i may loose my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Henry Ian Cusick has now been involved in two of the best episodes of TV ever IMO. This and 'The Constant' for Lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

what surname does the blonde use? cusick is slow on the uptake

• Advertisement

Does she actually use one? I don't think she ever mentions one.

One problem, the original mythical fringe team that went missing... how come they didn't look for them in the place they all hang out?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

First time in a long while that I really thought "What the f**k?!" when the episode opened. It did remind me a lot of "Epitaph One/Two" from "Dollhouse". Cool new opening - what number variation are we at now?

John Noble was, again, fantastic in this. He really doesn't get enough credit for this show.

Seeing William Bell again was nice - now to know what he did to Olivia and how he got to be encased in amber alongside them.

Now though the weaker points:
    It REALLY bugged me that they never used Henrietta's surname throughout the episode. They kept going "Agent" the whole time when it was obvious, from the first few seconds, that she was Olivia and Peter's daughter. Argh!

Some other bits bugging me was how Walter had time to build a bomb when the Observer was only a minute behind (but then took an age to reach them). It was just the execution seemed sloppy at times.

Still though an interesting new plot line - not entirely original but another injection into the show. Please give it a final season to wrap things up!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

One problem, the original mythical fringe team that went missing... how come they didn't look for them in the place they all hang out?

They werent at harvard, not sure where that place was but looked like it was possibly the typewriter shop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Wow. Well, that was absolutely amazing. Can't believe they might cancel this show when they are capable of producing this level of quality.

I can't tell what the screenshot in the OP is related to though? Olivia wasn't in the episode and Peter wasn't wearing a hat!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

VinLieger wrote: »
    If they get a fifth season they better do an episode to finish that story out, otherwise i may loose my mind

Joshua Jackson said in an interview that episode 19 was a sort of season 5 preview.

Lots of questions:
    1. If the girl was 4 years old in 2015, can we asume that mean Olivia is already pregnant?
    2. Why was Bell alive again in 2015, why did him and Walter fall out and why take the hand?

I would go on, but I'm typing on a phone ;)

Great episode 9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

Great episode a wtf episode to be precise :D

Walter was hilarious as usual was in stitches when he was stopped by the guard and he said "these are not the droids your looking for" "move along"

At the beginning of the episode had a blade runner feel to it.
    I echo the rest of the other posters sentiment in that hopefully we get a season 5 to wrap it all up but we'll probably be disappointed in the ending though :rolleyes:

Redisle wrote: »
    Wow. Well, that was absolutely amazing. Can't believe they might cancel this show when they are capable of producing this level of quality.

I can't tell what the screenshot in the OP is related to though? Olivia wasn't in the episode and Peter wasn't wearing a hat!
    That's actually Peter and his daughter. I found that odd too, but that was the promo shot for the episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

That's actually Peter and his daughter. I found that odd too, but that was the promo shot for the episode.
    that confused me too, but isn't that a shot from one of the previous special eps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

2. Why was Bell alive again in 2015, why did him and Walter fall out and why take the hand?

Bell would still be alive due to them not having to mount a rescue attempt to bring Peter back from the other side and Bell not having to sacrifice himself to facilitate the cross-over.

Bell did something to Olivia which resulted in her death but we don't know what.

The hand is probably needed to get access somewhere, they've possibly invented handscanners by 2036 in order to use biometrics to distinguish between authorised and unauthorised personnel :p
    that confused me too, but isn't that a shot from one of the previous special eps

I though it was from the musical episode.

• Advertisement

Must have something to do with that bullet that Etta wears around her neck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm not as inclined to praise this one as much as some of you, but still mostly enjoyed it.

Not that we needed proof John Noble can move seamlessly between playing different versions of Walter. His performances are always a treat.

Broyles looked positively geriatric. More scenes of Walter/Astrid outside of the lab, please. It's been done, but I like their small chats. In spite of his backstory, Henry Ian Cusick's character felt a little thin.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

The main question is of course what about the other universe. Did the Observers take over both of them? Is the other universe just continuing on as it would have without the Observers taking over. Or has it somehow been destroyed or combined with our universe? When Etta and Simon said something to Walter about having saved the world before, he replied about it being a high cost which suggests that the other universe no longer exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I was somewhat hoping when they got to the amber that it would be revealed that this *was the other universe and it was director bishop and not mad scientist bishop. But the william bell teaser and the return of mad scientist bishop was enough to satisfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Loved it. Absolutely loved it. But it raised so many questions too. Season 5 has to happen now. Has to.

I was under the impression while watching it that this was the definitive future going forward from our present timeline. So in that case how is William Bell alive? Is Olivia already pregnant & unaware? Where is the redverse bridge/DRJ? Otherwise this is yet another alternate universe, but at what point in time did it alternate?

Credit to the writers, I've never fallen so fastly & easily in love with newly introduced characters as I have with Simon and Etta. More please!
    Speaking of Etta, took me a while before it hit me, the whole Henry/Henrietta thing. For one, that's extremely bizarre. Why would Our Olivia name her child in honor of Peter's indiscretion with fauxilivia? Then again if this is a continuation of of present timeline maybe Peter never told Olivia about Henry but pushed for the name anyway.
    Also in regards to the surname thing. I doubt Etta was actually using Bishop so I don't know why they didn't give her an alias anyway. If she did use Bishop, Simon & the Observers would be fully aware of her connection with the original fringe team.

So yeah so many questions. Can't wait to see where we go from here especially considering Georgina Haig(Etta) was hired under a contract for regular appearences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Bell would still be alive due to them not having to mount a rescue attempt to bring Peter back from the other side and Bell not having to sacrifice himself to facilitate the cross-over.

Ah, that makes sense. It's hard to keep track of what has happened and what hasn't happened.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

DeWitt wrote: »
    Why would Our Olivia name her child in honor of Peter's indiscretion with fauxilivia?

Fauxlivia named Henry after the taxi driver* in the alternate universe who assisted her and Lincoln with the birth when she escaped from Walternate's scientists. The same taxi driver helped our Olivia escape from the alternate universe in season 3, so she could have named Henrietta after him as she has all those memories now.

*Better known as Bubbles from The Wire.

Oh and I think the Fringe division went into the amber in 2016 as they kept saying 20 years and the episode was set in 2036. That would just about give Henrietta time to squeeze into existence and be 4 before the end of 2016.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I was somewhat hoping when they got to the amber that it would be revealed that this *was the other universe and it was director bishop and not mad scientist bishop. But the william bell teaser and the return of mad scientist bishop was enough to satisfy.
    I'm almost positive it was our Walter for a few reasons: his relationship with our Astrid (called her Astro immediately when she came out of the Amber; our Walter can call alt-Astrid by her real name) and the fact that part of his brain was removed (which wasn't done by Director Bishop).

I think it is our blueverse: we have blueverse place names (spelling), no twin towers, they have coffee (well, sweets), the amber is "3rd generation" (IIRC redverse has better amber than that).

I did notice that they have redverse Fringe logos though. Interesting that there was zero mention of Agent Lee

My guess is that
    RDJ and Bell are somehow working together in this timeline. We are going to see over the next few episodes RDJ attempt to collapse the two universes. Something will happen that Olivia and the other cortexiphan kids can stop it - Bell does something (soul magnets?) to stop Olivia (shoots her?) and somehow redverse is destroyed; maybe Olivia gets stuck in redverse when the bridge is closed?

The important thing is that we now know why the observers want to wipe out Peter from the timeline. Etta is important in bringing down the Observer future and they wanted to prevent her birth - for some reason September is sympathetic to the Natives and wanted to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Xevkin

Otacon wrote: »
    Henry Ian Cusick has now been involved in two of the best episodes of TV ever IMO. This and 'The Constant' for Lost.

So true. The Constant is up there with some of the best individual programmes of all time. "Letter of Transit" nearly joins there ranks, borderline case at least. Easily one of the best episodes of Fringe IMO. Just me, or was that the only S4 episode that could be described as "exciting"? The episode had perfect pacing, was filled with intrigue, had its comedic moments, and of course pitch perfect acting.

If this is Walternate, that would be an interesting twist, but MORE interesting is seeing the Walter who realised was going too far. Didn't stop him going to far at the first opportunity though, lying to the guyts who saved him in order to construct a DIY WMD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I'm almost positive it was our Walter for a few reasons: his relationship with our Astrid (called her Astro immediately when she came out of the Amber; our Walter can call alt-Astrid by her real name) and the fact that part of his brain was removed (which wasn't done by Director Bishop).

I think it is our blueverse: we have blueverse place names (spelling), no twin towers, they have coffee (well, sweets), the amber is "3rd generation" (IIRC redverse has better amber than that).

I did notice that they have redverse Fringe logos though. Interesting that there was zero mention of Agent Lee

My guess is that
    RDJ and Bell are somehow working together in this timeline. We are going to see over the next few episodes RDJ attempt to collapse the two universes. Something will happen that Olivia and the other cortexiphan kids can stop it - Bell does something (soul magnets?) to stop Olivia (shoots her?) and somehow redverse is destroyed; maybe Olivia gets stuck in redverse when the bridge is closed?

The important thing is that we now know why the observers want to wipe out Peter from the timeline. Etta is important in bringing down the Observer future and they wanted to prevent her birth - for some reason September is sympathetic to the Natives and wanted to help.

Oh I knew it was our Walter the second Astro came out. But I was thinking prior to that it might have been Walternate once again in our universe. Remember the season 3 finale also was a *futures* episode and had Walternate playing the villain there. I thought momentarily this was a sort of a reverse of that scenario. Once a terrorist now a freedom fighter. Btw there was nothing confirming that the Walter walking around was the one with missing brain tissue just that they had brain tissue of a Walter and they used it to get his synapsis firing again.

Advertisement