Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allowing Test Drives when selling

• 02-03-2012 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭

I'm selling my car and have someone viewing it tonight

The car is no longer insured as I transferred it over to my new car. How do people handle the insurance situation when you obviously have to allow them to test drive it?

It's not possible right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Some potential buyers insurance policies do not require the vehicle to be insured by another party, ie you. But this depends on their insurance.

You would need them to bring proof of this if you want to be certain. Because if you get pulled by the Gardaí whilst both of you are in the car and their policy does not allow this, both of you will be done for no insurance.

It depends entirely on their own insurance policy.
    My zurich policy gives me third party insurance on any vehicle under 2000cc which is not registered in mine, or my spouse's name, even if that vehicle is not otherwise insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

If they have a Third Party Extension and show you proof of the same then they are road legal to drive your car from an Insurance point of view. Check the policy document for details on if that is the case.

As for any damage they cause to your car. You could have faith that they will repair any damage they cause if they cause any or you could request they sign a form giving you an indemnity should an incident occur. Recovery of this would no doubt be difficult though.

One would assume with you selling a car that you would facilitate road legal drivers with the option of a road test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I would not allow someone to drive it if it or they were not insured under their own policy and that they agreed to that. Depending on the value of the car, I would nearly get them to put that in writing.Having said that regardless of the value of the vehicle, if they hit someone or something how much your vehicle is worth might not matter.
    I'd be looking for their policy and contact their insurer with them regarding that, I'd also be looking for a drivers licence and ensure that and their policy allows them to drive your vehicle by confirming that with the insurer.

For their own piece of mind, I'd assume they would want to know they are covered or they could possibly face the consequences of driving without insurance if stopped.
    Someone has mentioned above (post#2) that as the owner and as a passenger you may also face consequences if their insurance doesnt cover them for driving, I am unsure how accurate that is but it is something you need to find out.

Merch wrote: »
    I would not allow someone to drive it if it or they were not insured under their own policy and that they agreed to that, depending on the cost of the car, I would nearly get them to put that in writing.
    It is an offence to allow someone to drive your car uninsured and will result in disqualification, fines and jail time for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

This actually shows how messed up and stupid is the whole Irish car insurance system.

Main aim of the insurance requirement should be to make sure that every one on the road is insured. Irish system allows for thousands of situations, where there are uninsured drivers on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

For any car I've sold privately....

I temporarily moved insurance on to the car for sale (via web - Aviva) prior to a potential buyer calling. I've also asked potential drivers calling to bring license and proof of comprehensive insurance.

Also, don't be afraid to refuse a potential buyer if you get the 'tyre kicker' feeling.. no offense intended to them, but trust your gut! :) You'll get a good feeling anyway over the phone by the tone of the conversation... imo.

Pick up the phone and ask your insurance company how they suggest you handle the sale too.

I hope your sale works out ok...

CiniO wrote: »
    This actually shows how messed up and stupid is the whole Irish car insurance system.

Main aim of the insurance requirement should be to make sure that every one on the road is insured. Irish system allows for thousands of situations, where there are uninsured drivers on the road.

But even if the OPs car was insured, the potential buyer would not have fully comprehensive insurance on it anyway (unless the OP had open drive). I can't really see how the insurance system is to blame for situations like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

I've requested their insurance details so will see what they say. Otherwise it's a 2nd gear spin in the cul de sac

But even if the OPs car was insured, the potential buyer would not have fully comprehensive insurance on it anyway (unless the OP had open drive). I can't really see how the insurance system is to blame for situations like these.

How do they manage in other countries, where there are not "named driver thing", but just if car is insured, everyone is allowed to drive it.

How do they manage in other countries, where there are "named driver thing", but just if car is insured, everyone is allowed to drive it.

You can do that here, it's called open drive, but very few people choose to take the open drive option (or even look into it) because of the cost.

Regardless though, even if the OP did have open driver, he has moved his insurance to another car, so it wouldn't apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

seamus wrote: »
    It is an offence to allow someone to drive your car uninsured and will result in disqualification, fines and jail time for you.

For the love of God, yet more nonsensical advice on this forum.

Show us some evidence of people who have been disqualified and jailed for allowing someone to drive a car uninsured?

If you cannot, then please refrain from posting such garbage.

You can do that here, it's called open drive, but very few people choose to take the open drive option (or even look into it) because of the cost.

Regardless though, even if the OP did have open driver, he has moved his insurance to another car, so it wouldn't apply.

In Poland there is a system, that every car which is registered must have at least third party insurance at all times, and this insurance must cover anyone to drive. When a car is sold, insurance policy is sold with it.

Thanks to that, there isn't really any problem with uninsured drivers, as they just don't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Johntegr

You do 1 of 2 things.

1. They bring a copy of their insurance cert to show they have 3rd party extension on any car that isn't their own. However read it properly. Some companies require that the car being driven has an active policy on it.

2. They ring their insurance company and temporarily transfer their full cover over for a half hour or whatever amount of test driving they want to do.

Keep in mind with option 1, if they have an accident, your car is not covered. Only the car they hit.

Also, seeing as you took your policy off your car to put it on your new one, that car is now not covered should it be stolen and/or damaged.

Gophur wrote: »

Show us some evidence of people who have been disqualified and jailed for allowing someone to drive a car uninsured?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1961/en/act/pub/0024/sec0056.html#sec56

Road Traffic Act, Section 56, subsection 3 provides that the owner of a vehicle which is driven uninsured is liable for a fine and jail time. The Second Schedule of the Act also allows for the owner to be disqualified by way an ancillary disqualification order.
    Where a person contravenes subsection (1) of this section, he and, if he is not the owner of the vehicle, such owner shall each be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding one hundred pounds or, at the discretion of the court, to imprisonment for any term not exceeding six months or to both such fine and such imprisonment.

The fine has obviously been updated as time went on.

Please check your facts before dismissing posts as "Garbage".

Whether or not anyone has been charged with this is irrelevant. It's an offence and a Garda could easily choose to charge you with it.

I found one thing interesting.
    I'm a bit fussy when it comes to buying cars, and it's usually on average at least 10 cars which I go to see and in some cases testdrive, before I decide to buy.
    So generally, I've test driven a lot of cars, and in most cases what owners were doing, they were just giving me the keys, and let go on my own to test drive it.

Nothing like this ever happened to me when I was living in Poland, neither anytime I did let anyone test-drive my car like that.

Would you guys give someone a car to test drive on his own?

PS - No one ever asked me for proof of insurance before test drive.
    Even more - when I was buying my first car, I told the lady I was not insured, and she said she didn't mind as it was just a test drive, so surely her insurer wouldn't mind ;)

In Poland there is a system, that every car which is registered must have at least third party insurance at all times, and this insurance must cover anyone to drive. When a car is sold, insurance policy is sold with it.

Thanks to that, there isn't really any problem with uninsured drivers, as they just don't exist.

But that system still wouldn't protect the OPs car - which is obviously what he is interested in doing.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1961/en/act/pub/0024/sec0056.html#sec56

Road Traffic Act, Section 56, subsection 3 provides that the owner of a vehicle which is driven uninsured is liable for a fine and jail time. The Second Schedule of the Act also allows for the owner to be disqualified by way an ancillary disqualification order.

The fine has obviously been updated as time went on.

Please check your facts before dismissing posts as "Garbage".

Whether or not anyone has been charged with this is irrelevant. It's an offence and a Garda could easily choose to charge you with it.

You are back-tracking!

Your original post stated "...will result in disqualification, fines and jail time for you."

You are now saying that the "....Garda could easily choose to charge you with it!"

So? Which is it?

I stand by my comment. Your original post was unadulterated nonsense. Hysterical and completely OTT.

Sure the OP might get into some bother but jail and disqualification are not guaranteed, if convicted and found guilty of such an offence.

You are back-tracking!
    And you're being a pedant. Seems like your blood sugars are low, go have a cookie.

There's nothing factually incorrect in my posts. You would be a complete moron to allow anyone to drive your car uninsured under any circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

So generally, I've test driven a lot of cars, and in most cases what owners were doing, they were just giving me the keys, and let go on my own to test drive it.

Anyone stupid enough to do this deserves to never see their car again tbf...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Friend of mine ended up in court a few years ago for letting a lad drive his car, they guy told him he had insurance and even showed a policy. Anyway he walked out of court a grand out of pocket because of it and got points or an endorsment on his licence, cant remember which but his insurance went up after it too

And you're being a pedant. Seems like your blood sugars are low, go have a cookie.

Now you're a doctor? Thanks, but no.

There's nothing factually incorrect in my posts.........

There is.
    Go back and read what you stated would happen, then back-tracked to say could happen. You offered definite advice that was wrong.

......... You would be a complete moron to allow anyone to drive your car uninsured under any circumstances.

That's a different point entirely.

Friend of mine ended up in court a few years ago for letting a lad drive his car, they guy told him he had insurance and even showed a policy. Anyway he walked out of court a grand out of pocket because of it and got points or an endorsment on his licence, cant remember which but his insurance went up after it too

And that's what "could" happen. It's not definite and not guaranteed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

So if it's registered, it has 3rd party insurance? is this registration annually? i assume if it's annually and it isn't re-registered then the insurance goes out of date and then being uninsured. It cant be a one off registration,when sold firstly, so it must be possible for it to go out of date somehow, or so cheap as to be not worth considering to allow to happen as an option.
    I found one thing interesting.
    I'm a bit fussy when it comes to buying cars, and it's usually on average at least 10 cars which I go to see and in some cases testdrive, before I decide to buy.

Nothing like this ever happened to me when I was living in Poland, neither anytime I did let anyone test-drive my car like that.

Would you guys give someone a car to test drive on his own
    ?

PS - No one ever asked me for proof of insurance before test drive.
    Even more - when I was buying my first car, I told the lady I was not insured, and she said she didn't mind as it was just a test drive, so surely her insurer wouldn't mind ;)

In answer to the last bit, hell no :), but I have come across the nonchalant attitude you describe to test drives and insurance during them quite a bit, when buying or just off people from their own experience (either selling or buying). Its a bit crazy really. If thats fussy then I'm an OCD mental case.

But that system still wouldn't protect the OPs car - which is obviously what he is interested in doing.

If OP had a full comprehensive insurance, it would.

But the OP wouldn't be the one driving??

You said that the system in poland ensured all cars were covered with third party insurance. So that would only cover a third party, not the OPs car :confused:

Merch wrote: »
    So if it's registered, it has 3rd party insurance? is this registration annually? i assume if it's annually and it isn't re-registered then the insurance goes out of date and then being uninsured. It cant be a one off registration,when sold firstly, so it must be possible for it to go out of date somehow, or so cheap as to be not worth considering to allow to happen as an option.
    What I meant is just if car is registered in the country once (when it's new or imported secondhand), receives a registration number, and since then it's regsitered at all times, until it's scrapped or exported. That's it.
    So generally speaking every car must have at least third party insurance at all times.
    And yes - it is cheap.
    Depends on engine size, owners age and NCB, usually between €60 and €250 per annum.

In answer to the last bit, hell no :), but I have come across the nonchalant attitude you describe to test drives and insurance during them quite a bit, when buying or just off people from their own experience (either selling or buying). Its a bit crazy really. If thats fussy then I'm an OCD mental case.
    When I said I was fussy, I meant that I need to go through a good few cars to see and check, before I could decide to buy that one which was the best, in oppose to people who just go, take a quick look at car and buy it.

But the OP wouldn't be the one driving??

You said that the system in poland ensured all cars were covered with third party insurance. So that would only cover a third party, not the OPs car :confused:

OK. I didn't add that in addition to third party insurance, you can always buy a comprehensive insurance (which is not obligatory) and covers your own car, no matter who drives it.

So if person selling a car, would have such kind of insurance, it would cover damage to his own car, no matter who was driving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

MugMugs wrote: »
    If they have a Third Party Extension and show you proof of the same then they are road legal to drive your car from an Insurance point of view...
    Incorrect. The potential buyer needs a "Driving Other Cars" extension on his policy.
    Johntegr wrote: »
    ... 1. They bring a copy of their insurance cert to show they have 3rd party extension on any car that isn't their own. ...
    Incorrect. The potential buyer needs a "Driving Other Cars" extension on his policy.

Lads in fairness OP has asked for help with a problem. If you don't know the rules & regs please don't post or give inaccurate information; the consequences might be serious. What happens in Poland or elsewhere is all Off-topic as it has no bearing on OP's situation.

If you want to accuse me or report me for back-seat modding, be my guest.

OP if you have an account on askaboutmoney.com login over there and have a look at a key-post I wrote for Brendan a couple of years ago about selling your car. HTH

mathepac wrote: »

Lads in fairness OP has asked for help with a problem. If you don't know the rules & regs please don't post or give inaccurate information; the consequences might be serious. What happens in Poland or elsewhere is all Off-topic as it has no bearing on OP's situation.

If you want to accuse me or report me for back-seat modding, be my guest.

OP if you have an account on askaboutmoney.com login over there and have a look at a key-post I wrote for Brendan a couple of years ago about selling your car. HTH

I thoght "third party extension" was just a different name of "driving other cars extension".
    Whatever it's called it's still the same.

Beside, we are just chatting here on the subject or around.
    That's what the forum is for, really.