Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 3 Series, windows open by themselves

• 18-02-2008 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

I had the dirvers door and the boot open at the time and then all of a sudden both the drivers window and passengers window opned by themselves (about 1/3 the way down). I didnt even have the key in the ignition.

I cant imagine this is a "feature" of the car...

Has anybody come across this before, it has only happened once but I am concerned it could happen sometime when Im not there!

It is a 318ci E46.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Were you pressing the key by any chance at the time? BMWs have a feature that opens all the windows by pressing & holding the unlock button on the key, the car must be locked to begin with though. It also works in a similar way to close all the windows.

(Some) VWs have a similar feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭babel

I had the keys in my pocket at the time, perhaps I did press against the unlock button.

The car was definelty unlocked at the time though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭lynchie

babel wrote: »
    I had the keys in my pocket at the time, perhaps I did press against the unlock button.

The car was definelty unlocked at the time though

Happened on my 5 series before too. Had parked the car at my parents and only that my father saw all the windows down I would never had known until the next day. I guess I had hit off the button while the keys were in my pocket while I was INSIDE the house!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

Were you pressing the key by any chance at the time? BMWs have a feature that opens all the windows by pressing & holding the unlock button on the key, the car must be locked to begin with though. It also works in a similar way to close all the windows.

(Some) VWs have a similar feature.

I don't think the car has to be locked for this feature to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭kdobey

Audi's have the same feature. The manual says (and experience confirms) that this only works when you are 'close' to the car.

i.e. while you may be able to lock or open the car from a distance holding the open (or close) button will not open or close the widows (and sunroof) unless you are quite near the car. I guess it determines 'close' by the strength of the signal from the fob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I occasionally see cars in the long term car parks at Dublin Airport with all the windows open. Presumably the owners accidently press the relevant button while unloading luggage from the boot and then run for the shuttle bus without checking.

Advertisement