Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor: 8-10 working days to refund a direct debit overcharge

• 29-12-2011 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭

I've probably been with Meteor longer than most people, since 2001 (when the area covered was fairly abysmal). I was going to change to a different supplier for the first time last month as my bills were too expensive. I rang Meteor and when I finally got through they (the lovely Katie, actually) gave me an excellent deal to keep me.

Fast forward to this month and I discovered that my bill was a massive €168; it's usually around €55. When I got talking to them it transpired that while their notes recorded that I had been given the tariff which I told them, somebody in Meteor had forgot to apply the tariff to my account. Therefore, I was billed for all the evening and weekend calls which I should have been getting free under the new tariff.

Anyway, I rang them at the start of the week and they were supposed to cancel the direct debit for €168 and replace it with the correct figure of €60. This morning, however, out went all €168 from my account. I rang them up, they apologised and said it would take 8-10 working days to refund the €108 to me. How could it take up to 14 days to refund money? €108 is a massive overcharging for many people who have small weekly budgets - could Meteor not have a quicker, consumer-conscious way of rectifying such mistakes?

I find direct debits handy as it saves my queuing up in the bank or post office to pay bills. Is there a way I could cancel the direct debit and instead manually transfer the money from my online account into Meteor's every month?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭LH2011

Dionysus wrote: »
    I've probably been with Meteor longer than most people, since 2001 (when the area covered was fairly abysmal). I was going to change to a different supplier for the first time last month as my bills were too expensive. I rang Meteor and when I finally got through they (the lovely Katie, actually) gave me an excellent deal to keep me.

Fast forward to this month and I discovered that my bill was a massive €168; it's usually around €55. When I got talking to them it transpired that while their notes recorded that I had been given the tariff which I told them, somebody in Meteor had forgot to apply the tariff to my account. Therefore, I was billed for all the evening and weekend calls which I should have been getting free under the new tariff.

Anyway, I rang them at the start of the week and they were supposed to cancel the direct debit for €168 and replace it with the correct figure of €60. This morning, however, out went all €168 from my account. I rang them up, they apologised and said it would take 8-10 working days to refund the €108 to me. How could it take up to 14 days to refund money? €108 is a massive overcharging for many people who have small weekly budgets - could Meteor not have a quicker, consumer-conscious way of rectifying such mistakes?

I find direct debits handy as it saves my queuing up in the bank or post office to pay bills. Is there a way I could cancel the direct debit and instead manually transfer the money from my online account into Meteor's every month?

Thanks.

i think meteor / emobile / three are the only operators where you cannot pay your bill online on their site.

i dont like direct debits, for the simple reason , when something goes wrong and you get over charged its a lot of messing about to get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

It took alot longer than 14 days for them to refund me my money. It ended up being over a month and when I question them as to why I hadn't been refunded after 10 working days and when they expect to refund me they sent me the following reply.
    Meteor wrote:
    I sincerely apologise for the delay in receiving your refund. I have been advised that we are experiencong backlog of refunds with our credit control team and they are working to quickly go through this.
    Your refund will be processed as soon as possible and will be received back to your account below.
    If you have any further queries please call customer care or email info@meteor.ie and we will be delighted to assist you.

Regards,

Adetoun
    Customer Care Administration Team
    Meteor Mobile Communications
    Email: info@meteor.ie
    Fax: 01 4307013

I emailed them again asking when I would be refunded and they never replied so I sent an email to comreg with my email history between me and meteor and I cc meteor in the email.

The problem was then quickly sorted out only after I contacted comreg.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 lori88

Any idea how long you were waiting on a refund in the end? Same thing happened me this morning >:(

Advertisement