Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UCC Criminology

• 19-04-2015 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

Hi guys, I'm thinking of moving to Cork and studying Criminology there but I don't know what it would be like and I'd love to know what people think of it?
    I read up on the course content and I have to say criminal aspects aren't my main reason for wanting to do it (I could tolerate it though) but the rest of the course seems interesting to me. I'm taking a PLC in criminology right now and it is all interesting but I prefer the sociological parts best :cool:
    I might also consider a general Arts course but I still can't make up my mind :P lol it's like a permanent struggle for ages now

So, any tips and suggestions? I'd really apprecicate anything hahaha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭deadybai

My sister started this last year. From what I can gather the course is tough but enjoyable She is learning Spanish for the first time in it. I think her least favorite module is Law. I done 2 Law modules myself on a business course and that was basic stuff but even that was a lot of work. So I can imagine that it is a lot tougher on the Criminology course.Anyways I havent heard many complaints from my sister so far other than its tough, so id say if you're interested then go for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Peter Anthony

Oddly enough I've been thinking the same thing! It only started out last September so hard to know much. Cork is very far away from where I live but I've visited before and liked it. I've done 1st year of a Business degree before though and left, so from looking into it Im possibly liable for tuition fees of like 5 to 7k ..:( Unless the grant covers that (??) but it seems very vague.

Also CAO closes Friday week so times kind of running out. I've always been interested in this field but there never was much opportunities before. If it was financially viable and I got offered a place it would be great. Its so hard to know what to do really, I've friends that done teaching and other things so straightforward. When your not sure its very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

^^ you will be liable for fees. Government only pay for first year once.

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    ^^ you will be liable for fees. Government only pay for first year once.
    Any idea if SUSI grant can cover it? I think its like 7k for this course not sure. Wouldnt have that money, also doubt the bank would loan it.

Any idea if SUSI grant can cover it? I think its like 7k for this course not sure. Wouldnt have that money, also doubt the bank would loan it.

Did Susi pay for the other course you did?

• Advertisement

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Did Susi pay for the other course you did?
    No never got approved one before but should be entitled this time as sister has got one. Its so vague on the SUSI site, basically says they might or might not?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

Thanks everyone for the replies I think I'll wind up moving there and trying out criminology even though it's such a burden to move, I I like where I live right now and can't help but feel like it's such a gamble to move lol . Oh well lol :D

LoganRice wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the replies I think I'll wind up moving there and trying out criminology even though it's such a burden to move, I I like where I live right now and can't help but feel like it's such a gamble to move lol . Oh well lol :D

Cork definitely isn't the worst place to be moving to :)
    Seeing how it's the real capital and all that!
    UCC as a college is excellent as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Joanne o riordan of no limbs no limits is studying that course.she could provide insight?

There is probably some contact info on the ucc page. Contact them and ask for information.

• Advertisement

Anyone know how many FETAC applicants they might get? Think theres 6 places, I've applied I think it could be quite competitive since theres PLC criminology courses in a few colleges in Dublin. I didnt do a course in that so assume that may count against me.

Advertisement