Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Feral/Stray What to do

Options
  • 01-07-2009 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi folks. Looking for some advice. The place where I work has had 3 or 4 feral cats hanging around for the past year or so. We feed them and don't mind them being around as we used to have a fair few mice and rats around the place.

One of the cats is considerably more tame than the others and looks for attention, wants to be petted etc. It's obvious that this cat must have been a pet to someone at some stage. It seems to be quite an old cat from the look of it. There aren't any houses near to here though so I'm not sure where it could have come from. The other cats won't let you go near them at all.

The tame cat has been sneezing a lot lately and generally seems to be snotty and not very well. I feel like I should bring it to the vet but I am concerned about what to do with it if I do. I can't take it home to live with me as I live with my parents and we all ready have a cat that will freak out if I bring another one home. I don't want to bring the cat back to work again as there will be a lot of construction work going on soon that will be very disruptive.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Whereabouts are you? Ideally she'd go to an animal charity that cares for and rehomes cats. Sounds like she has cat flu but that's very treatable. Poor pet deserves to be in a loving home, not out on the streets. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TabbyCat

Dublin southside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

OK, it's a tough time of year to get help from the animal charities because they're overloaded with cats and kittens every summer, but there are few cat charities in Dublin that should be your first port of call. Explain that she's a stray but she's tame, friendly and looks a bit unwell. You'll probably get a better response if you mention that you're willing to make a contribution towards any vet costs, however small the amount you can afford to give. (I say this because this year especially, all the animal rescues around the country are very short on funds.)

Here's some cat groups in your area to get you started. Bear with them if the phones are busy or you're slow in getting a reply to your email... They're all frantically busy at this time of year.

CATS PROTECTION SPCA
    ADDRESS: 56 South William Street, Dublin 2
    PHONE: 01 6715509 or 01 6715456

ANIMAL RESCUE GROUP
    ABOUT: Animal Rescue is a voluntary Dublin-based organisation which aims to improve welfare of domestic animals in Ireland. We aim to find homes for unwanted pets, such as cats and dogs, where they will receive the love and attention they deserve.

NAME: DUBLIN S.P.C.A.
    ADDRESS: Mount Venus Road Rathfarnham Dublin 16
    PHONE: 01 4935502/04

Advertisement