Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UCC 'Off-Topic' Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Up for me as well - what browser are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Like the very good rebel_girl_15 uses,

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/umail.ucc.ie

Seems in working order and is fine for me.

Cheers, got on, but the portal at the below link doesn't work...

http://www.ucc.ie/en/sit/

For whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Nervosa wrote: »
    Was thinking about setting up a new soc. A home brewing society. Think it'll go down well? Need 100 names and €100. Don't think there is any other society in Ireland like it. With a strong food science department there it might be good.

I'd definitely support this. If you can, get a few hundred signatures - show more than just the bare minimum interest.

If you send in your application, and it fails, do you get the €100 back?

I'd support it to Nervosa, sounds like good craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Nervosa

Thanks guys, I'll try and start getting the signatures this week and next before end of term.

I'm thinking talks and lectures from people in the micro breweries and craft beers industries, knowing about the tasting of a good beers and flavors, techniques in brewing and trips the breweries and festivals. As well I think the society should not be branded a "Drinking Soc", but we'll put considerable effort into awareness of drinking, responsible drinking and the like.

What you think? And I need some members on a board starting out. PM me if interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Piece of warning, NUIG tried to start up one and they got shut down straight away as they felt it was encouraging alcohol consumption and all that craic. I'd be well interested in it, but the fact that it's all based around alcohol probably wouldnt go down too well with University authorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Achtung!

We really need a Harry Potter society.. :D I'd attend if someone wants to do all the work of setting it up :):D

Achtung! wrote: »
    We really need a Harry Potter society.. :D I'd attend if someone wants to do all the work of setting it up :):D

Yerra I'd support that as well, just as long as I don't have to do any work or wear some retarded costume...

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SEEMagazine

If you want a Brewing Society you need to maintain exceptional controls over membership. Obviously it can't ever be a drinking society, and you'll need to highlight the potentials of alcohol abuse, etc.

Perhaps try and operate it as a sub-committee of the Cowpunchers or Chem Soc?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

FFS, bloody email is down again, this really is not good enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Might as well rename this thread "Umail's fcuked again".

Its a complete joke tbh - I've to submit stuff by email this evening, and can't do it. Shocking stuff

So it is down again, I'm expecting a (fairly urgent) e-mail.

As an aside, are we ever going to a boardsie meet-up? This is probably my last year in UCC, at least for the foreseeable future.

Boards meetings were before Christmas and the attendance was disastrous so there was none run and the interest declined massively. Shame as they're so beneficial.

Orizio wrote: »
    So it is down again, I'm expecting a (fairly urgent) e-mail.

Its a joke at this stage - shocking that it is so bad!
    Boards meetings were before Christmas and the attendance was disastrous so there was none run and the interest declined massively. Shame as they're so beneficial.

Thats cos I wasn't at them! :P We could try to organise one for next week, probably the last chance before we break up properly for Easter

Thats cos I wasn't at them! :P

That's cos hardly no one was at them.

Currently volunteering with the Simon Community through UCC so I thought I'd pimp a table quiz coming up soon...

https://www.facebook.com/events/201289889980880/

If we could get a boardsie team going that would be cool! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Politicians, student or otherwise, never fail to impress with their manipulation of reality. In regards to the "pre-referendum" on third level fees the SU say "All 19 of UCCSU's votes will be the same, in order to have maximum impact." In other words, we know that more than 5% of students will vote against the current fees policy, and this way we can disregard those votes.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the national politicians of the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

So, first week down. How are everybody's tests going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Is it possible to get into blackboard on a phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

closeline wrote: »
    Is it possible to get into blackboard on a phone?
    Want blackboard on yiur iPhone, there's an app for that. Other than that it might work depending on the phone. Just try it out. Works on mine fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

whats the app called. is it on android.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

closeline wrote: »
    whats the app called. is it on android.
    Just blackboard, but ucc isn't supported yet, hopefully they will when they allow android phones to use the WiFi

My summer exams are finished! Time to delude myself with all the things I'll do over the Summer. Like baking my on bread, having a factory like production like beer brewing ready, and earn 10 grand in monies. Any plans guys?

Oh yea, I havn't given up on the beer brewing soc yet. I'll get the signatures next week and get the ball rolling on that. I'll let ye know how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Just waking up now after my alcohol induced coma having finished 4 years of college yesterday.It really is a very strange feeling knowing you've finished.

My summer exams are finished! Time to delude myself with all the things I'll do over the Summer. Like baking my on bread, having a factory like production like beer brewing ready, and earn 10 grand in monies. Any plans guys?

Yeah, some part-time work and a CELTA course in UCC. Should be suitably boring and uninteresting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Yup! Just work as much as possible and earn as much money as possible! Also going on holidays at the start of June for a week..just around the corner now..can't wait!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Audacious

C'mere, is Umail down atm for people?
    It's down for me, saying something about a CAS exception.
    It's some joke of an email service.

Its down alright - I tried it earlier, got the same message, I agree it is a joke of a system, being down so often!

• Advertisement

Got a summer job working for the national space centre near Midleton! I start next Tuesday after the bank holiday. I'm finally stepping out of retail, thank god.

Advertisement