Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

African Grey Parrot

• 29-06-2009 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I'm thinking of buying an African Grey Parrot. What price should I pay and should I buy from a pet shop or try to find a breeder.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Breeder would be better.

Parrots live for a very long time, they are not a casual pet but rather a bonded companion. They can become very jealous if anyone else gets too close to you and may strike out. They mate for life.

Think of the parrot as being a destructive five year old who is extremely mobile!

If left unstimulated they can fall into destructive vices.

Many birds are reared by hand but there is a school of thought that ones by the birds themselves tend to have better manners. This is similar to kittens/puppies spending an extra few weeks with mammy and getting manners put on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IsaBrown

Thanks for the advise.

I've seen a 12 week old for sale on done deal for €1200. Is that a reasonable price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

Sounds a bit dear. I have always thought €1000 or under is what you will pay for one.
    Offer €800 and see what they say

I offered €1,000 but he wouldn't budge on the price.Would a 12 week old baby be better than an older bird that is going cheaper, I've seen African Greys for sale for less than €800 by people that are getting rid beause they don't have time any more or the bird prefers men or the dog doesn't like it etc.Would one of these be a bad idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭philog

a very bad idea ...do not attemt to buy a parrot that someone else has had...it might fret and never bond with you ...i have african grey parrots for years ...but none for sale at the moment...give tony corrigan a ring in clondalkin 087 6113012,,or ring me on 085 7484599,,,,eddie o donnell..0868478392 boyne valley parrots...you can expect to pay up to a grand ,,,but you wont be sorry you bought a grey ...unbelievable pets

• Advertisement

That's what I thought,thanks for the contacts. I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 eolair

breeder is better.

Make sure you are ready for commitment - they are not low maintenance pets. Intelligent, fickle, fiercely loyal / jealous. Very rewarding, but they only give back what you put in.

Make sure you find a vet who is familiar with large tropical birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Their housing is almost as expensive depending on how big you go but buy the biggest cage, play gym etc. you can a bored parrot is a destructive, depressed parrot. They need a lot of attention and also you may need to ensure he's in your will and you have someone you can pass him on to esp. if getting a baby or younger parrot.

Advertisement