Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭icywind1980

Gaspode wrote: »
    Its only worth calling the Gardai if a crime of some sort has occurred. A party in the same house every night of the week probably constitutes an unacceptable nuisance, and could be considered breach of the peace.
    Is it in the same house(s)all the time? Have any of your other neighbours remarked on it?
    It's actually not in a house, it's on the green outside the houses. And I'm not even sure if it's always a party, but it is always loud and always late at night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

In that case, ring the Gardai, and they'll more than likely move them on. Be persistent though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 EdwardHopper

This may be a bit vague but I thought it was worth posting. A neighbour of my folks got 2 large terracotta pots filled with plants lifted yesterday afternoon. The lady drove up the road choosing her targets, she apparently rang one doorbell but when she got an answer asked a spurious question and then moved on. At her 2nd attempt there was no answer to the doorbell so she proceeded to remove the pots into her car. Another neighbour noticed something out a window, thought it looked odd and had the presence of mind to take a note of the car reg number. From what I've heard since the car is flagged as suspicious and that reg number has not been registered to anyone for 3 years. I'll try and find out the make/colour of the car and post it here. It was last registered in the Skerries area, the driver was female and wearing sunglasses . . . that's all I know but it's enough for people to be vigilant and if anyone odd rings your doorbell and then moves on perhaps you could watch what they're at next. This is nothing new in the summer months and I'm sure the pots will be on sale at a market over the weekend. If you have pots it might be worth marking them somewhere with a UV pen so you can identify them if you end up in the unfortunate position of visiting these markets to try to spot them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Thanks Edward. Can I ask what area it was? Will be vigilant anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 EdwardHopper

Sorry - should have said - they're in a small estate off Clonsilla Road. IE: vicinity of Woodview, Broadway, Coolmine Boulevard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

This may be a bit vague but I thought it was worth posting. A neighbour of my folks got 2 large terracotta pots filled with plants lifted yesterday afternoon. The lady drove up the road choosing her targets, she apparently rang one doorbell but when she got an answer asked a spurious question and then moved on. At her 2nd attempt there was no answer to the doorbell so she proceeded to remove the pots into her car. Another neighbour noticed something out a window, thought it looked odd and had the presence of mind to take a note of the car reg number. From what I've heard since the car is flagged as suspicious and that reg number has not been registered to anyone for 3 years. I'll try and find out the make/colour of the car and post it here. It was last registered in the Skerries area, the driver was female and wearing sunglasses . . . that's all I know but it's enough for people to be vigilant and if anyone odd rings your doorbell and then moves on perhaps you could watch what they're at next. This is nothing new in the summer months and I'm sure the pots will be on sale at a market over the weekend. If you have pots it might be worth marking them somewhere with a UV pen so you can identify them if you end up in the unfortunate position of visiting these markets to try to spot them.

funny (not in ha ha) that you posted that, on Sunday evening driving along Blanchardstown rd where the circus is, i seen a smashed big terracotta plant box next to the bus stop loads of soil, i say that plants must of been nixed, t
    Thanks for posting and let us know any up dates vice versa..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭daymobrew

At her 2nd attempt there was no answer to the doorbell so she proceeded to remove the pots into her car. Another neighbour noticed something out a window, thought it looked odd and had the presence of mind to take a note of the car reg number.
    Excellent job by the neighbour noting the reg plate.

We had a few plant thefts here in Riverwood, Carpenterstown a few months ago. No one saw it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

I actually saw that that plantpot too!!
    My mam lives in Riverwood.
    One night 2 weeks ago (about 11pm), she was sitting watching television and saw someone walking up towards her front door and grab my nephews rollerblades. She ran out after them. Was a girl approx 8 years old but there were 3 women waiting up the road for her. They are roma gypseys and living in the estate.
    My mam has been in touch with the Gardai about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I regularly rob plants from gardens around the neighbourhood to improve the look of my own garden. I dont think the owners mind very much because i actually just take cuttings and propagate them in a polytunnel or my green house. I live near the area this happened so i will keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

I have heard reports of that happening in Hartstown too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Seems there was another shooting this morning, this time on the River Road, a bit too close to me for comfort.
    This city is turning into a firing range these days!

Shocking. Will it ever end? Any futher details on it Gaspode?

Not a huge amount, just that 2 guys were shot but survived, and shooter escaped on foot back down the River Rd towards Finglas.
    Thankfully Mrs G didnt drive down that way to work today, deciding on the M50 route for a change, should would have been going by there pretty much at the same time as the shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://m.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0715/breaking29.html
    Two men hurt in latest Dublin gangland shooting

Last Updated: Thursday, July 15, 2010, 12:00

Two men have been injured in a north Dublin shooting earlier this morning.

The men were in a van driving along River Road in Finglas when a car pulled up beside them at about 9.20am. A man in the car fired a number of shots injuring both the driver and a passenger of the van.

The gunmen then escaped on foot. The gunshot victims were transferred to hospital, where their injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.

Gardaí are at the scene, and a forensic examination is taking place.

River Road remains closed, and diversions are in place at the Ashtown roundabout and Navan Road junction.

Indeed, Mrs. G was lucky. I would not like to be in the vicinity of something like that happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Goldfish2010

Went out this morning to Collegewood car park to see rows of smashed windows on cars, does anyone know what happened and why Garda took so long to come out to investigate?
    Also, would this hightlight the need for allowing residence to use the un used car park beneath development?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

why Garda took so long to come out to investigate?

I would imagine you'd have to contact the Gardaí in Blanchardstown or Cabra and ask them yourself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Also, would this hightlight the need for allowing residence to use the un used car park beneath development?

Why are you not allowed to use the car park??

Have you paid for spaces?

(Ps. That sounds shocking about the vandalism)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I counted 17 cars smashed. All the way up into college grove. Evidently it was some scumbags who drink in the field near the M50 behind the playground.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Ivenus

I live in collegewood but was away for the weekend so only hearing about this now. I noticed alot of smashed glass in Collegegrove where the cars park beside the side gate into Collegewood, on Monday.

Where were the cars in Collegewood that were damaged, parked? Was there up beside the side entrance into Collegegrove?

Someone told me that Joe Duffy is currently talking about it on his show. Seemingly the caller on, said houses were also broken into.

this is worrying cause it it happened once, the little scumbags can definitely do it again. Im surprised no one heard so many windows being smashed in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I was asleep at the time and completely oblivious, however my wife left early around 8am and said there was a car leaving college grove in front of her wit the car window smashed and a lot of people around.

I actually heard about it on Joe Duffy.

It's pretty surreal, about 40 windows smashed and nothing in the papers or anywhere until JD started it off. If it's not NAMA it's not going into the paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

I live there too, didn't hear or see anything on Friday night myself, but I believe they caught the toe rags responsible, only heard earlier, I'll update with any info as I get it. I heard they were on bikes and damaged 40 cars in total, collegewood, collegegrove and parkdrive.
    I hope they or their parents are made repay every single cent of the damage, if they are on social welfare it should be deducted weekly until it is paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Snusmumriken

We live in one of the houses in Collegewood and had a garda at the door the following day asking if we hear anything during the night. She said that glass in more than 40 cars was smashed and they were looking for any witnesses and the car owners. Would be good to hear an update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 soul.less wonder

why Garda took so long to come out to investigate?

why the presumption that the Gardai took a long time to come out?? There was someone arrested for this on the nite and has since been charged with criminal damage to every one of those cars

• Registered Users Posts: 45 NicOda

I lived in Collegewood 2 years ago, my car was vandalised and burned out. At that time the ungerground carpark was open.However I believe that at the time there still was a dispute regarding its use between the residents and the developer. Parked in there as, as you are aware,there is absolutely no facility for parking in the estate at all - one space per apartment is completely inadequate.

The Gardaí believed it to be kids, never heard anything from them further to it.Caused me to move out some 3 weeks after that. Ironic seeing as I moved there from Royal Canal Park as my car was vandalised there to begin. I expected more from the area to be honest. Had the most horrific experiences with cars on moving to Dublin.......glad I'm now happily ensconsed in a Meath backwater!!

Don't hold any high hopes up for any resolve from the Gardaí there is nothing they can do unfortunately to prevent this type of crime, and less to find the culprits :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

There was a road in Laurel Lodge done aswell, according to the local news paper. seems odd they were so specific about the roads they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

Hi guys,

This is more of a heads up, there was an attempted robbery on my house last night in Clonsilla. Really strange was the manner in which it happened.

Woke up after hearing a loud bang, thought it was the neighbours, then another 2 - 3 bangs realized it was our house, looked out the window and theres two guys with a hammer and a screw driver trying to break the PVC 4 point locked window. Let out a roar and they ran. Called the Gardaí, usual stuff.

Really strange thing was that it was the front window of the house, that can be seen by no less then 30 other houses, and theres a street light just in front of the house as well so it wasn't exactly dark.

Anyway just a heads up, so lock up well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Thanks for the info.

Suprised it didnt set off your alarm (if you have one), not surprised that these guys operate where they can be seen, they dont seem to have any fear of being caught.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

Even if caught the courts would do very litle to them. Be lucky if they even got a few months inside.

Advertisement