Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite moments in Star Trek

• 14-11-2011 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭

Sometimes there are just moments which are memorable/genius in tv shows, irrespective of the quality of the episode.

For me in TNG: 1. Picard in Measure of a Man when he wins the case at the end, asking rhetorical questions and bringing his argument to a climax. 2. Picard as an old man telling his daughter? about enjoying the present moment in The Inner Light. 3. Picard and Q discussing human destiny at the end of AGT. 4. Picard breaking down in Family. 5. Picard quoting Shakespeare to Luxwana Troi in that godawful cheesy episode with Riker and the Ferengi. 6. Picard being asked "do you know what you're doing" and him saying "no" in Time Squared. 7. Picard saying to Q that he does not want to be a science officer in Tapestry. 8. Picard saying "you will all become one with the borg" in BoBW part 2. 9. Q with his speech about the universe not being for the timid at the end of Q Who. 10. Picard screaming NNNNOOOOOO! in First Contact. 12. Data pwning everyone onboard the Enterprise in the episode where he's re-united with Nonien Singh. 13. Data owning everyone in Redemption. 14. Data's dreams in that episode where he starts dreaming. 15. Picard owning the tar monster in Skin of Evil. 16. Worf killing Duras after he killed Kehylr, excellent shot angle where he wield the bathleth and you know Duras had it coming big time so its kinda go Worf.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭Daith

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Ellian

In All Good Things where Picard says to Data "Mr. Data, you're a clever man..." Just a lovely moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Data dealing with tasha yars death.i always thought that was very sad and well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

He may have been a bit prone to over-acting, but this monologue is one of my favourite trek moments.

And of course:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    He may have been a bit prone to over-acting

Avery Brooks can't overact...its just that some scenes can't support his brilliance and it looks like he's overacting. His screen presence was seriously powerful

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Ah I don't know this seems like overacting to me

These cases of overacting leave something to be desired

Overacting? Only because it's a Star Trek episode maybe. Maybe its just me but I think he just outshines everyone in these types of scenes & they appear out of context because its a sci-fi show.
    These cases of overacting leave something to be desired

As above

I'll give you that one

EnterNow wrote: »
    Overacting? Only because it's a Star Trek episode maybe. Maybe its just me but I think he just outshines everyone in these types of scenes & they appear out of context because its a sci-fi show.

As above

I'll give you that one

Well in the first vid, Avery Brooks just.ar.tic.u.lates.eve.ry.sy.lla.ble.like.it.was.its.own.sen.tence.while.hy.per.vent.a.la.ting.

In the other one Picard barks like a dog while breathing heavily. Even in context, they were overacting.

Well in the first vid, Avery Brooks just.ar.tic.u.lates.eve.ry.sy.lla.ble.like.it.was.its.own.sen.tence.while.hy.per.vent.a.la.ting.

In the other one Picard barks like a dog while breathing heavily. Even in context, they were overacting.

I see what your saying, & I guess yes in context they are overacting. How do you tell someone to not act as good as you can though? Actors like to shine, Brooks & Stewart shine brighter than Star Trek can really allow them, thats all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

+1 on Avery's syllable pronounciation. It's overdone, and very annoying once you pick up on it. Killed DS9 for me. This is my favourite scene - Worf, no sh*t, no messing about, just does his thing and is who he is.

Getting back on topic, here's some vintage DS9 brilliance

I jest I jest.

I have always liked this scene though

This also, 7:10 onwards

This cracked me up when I first seen it

EnterNow wrote: »
    I see what your saying, & I guess yes in context they are overacting. How do you tell someone to not act as good as you can though? Actors like to shine, Brooks & Stewart shine brighter than Star Trek can really allow them, thats all.

This is true, both actors are heavy weights

This is a case of legendary overacting, hilarious too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

I cant find a decent clip of it, but the scene in TNG - Masks (yeah I know everyone hates it) where Data is sitting by a small fire in his quarters, & has to act three different persona's in front of Picard.

Epic acting by Spiner, real 'moody' scene too.

He's playing a character who's having a mental breakdown! I thought it worked well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Loved the last scene in TNG. "Five Card Stud, nothing wild. And the sky's the limit."

Also, final DS9 scenes were great.

And the comedy moments...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Also, loved Garak and Bashir.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

It's missing the bit at the end where Mr Homn says "Thank you for the drink" :(

Cossax wrote: »

This is highminded TV, great dialogue between Q and Picard about the destiny of humanity, human qualities etc. I can't think of many shows that go to this level. Superb. Perhaps in 500 years time TNG will be regarded in the same league as Shakespeare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

From The Wounded:

Spoken by Daro, a cardassian.
    Spoken by Chief O'Brien.

O'Brien sits at the bar, nursing a synthetic beer.
    Presently, the Cardassian, Daro, ENTERS, looks around, sits at the bar at a remove from O'Brien.

(to bartender)
    Kanar?

The bartender nods, retreats. O'Brien shifts his eyes
    toward the Cardassian, catches him doing the same; both
    look away. O'Brien takes a drink to finish off the
    beer. He sets it down. He thinks.
    Then he rises, moves toward the Cardassian.

Mind if I join you?

Daro gestures toward the stool next to him. O'Brien sits; the bartender brings Daro's drink.

You want another?
    (off O'Brien's nod)
    And an ale.

O'Brien is trying to find his opening gambit. Daro drinks.

Kanar... never could develop a taste for it.

(smiles) It takes some getting used to.

Things ease a bit. O'Brien takes a breath. This isn't easy.

I wanted to say... I... I owe you an apology.

Daro makes no response. O'Brien presses on, gingerly.

Shouldn't have... popped off like
    that. In the Turbolift.

(carefully)
    I think... this is hard on all
    of us. I know I'll be happy when
    I'm back on my own ship.

O'Brien regards him. This hadn't occurred to him.

I guess that's true.
    I hadn't thought of it like that.

The bartender arrives with O'Brien's beer and he takes
    a swallow. Then a breath.

I was on Setlik Three.

Daro looks at him, wary, not sure where this is going.

With Captain Maxwell, the morning
    after the massacre. We got there
    too late, of course... almost
    everyone was dead...

(jumping in)
    It was a terrible mistake... we
    were told the outpost was to be
    the launching place for a massive
    attack against us...

O'Brien stares into his beer, talking as though playing
    a tape in his mind.

The only people left alive were
    in an outlying district of the
    settlement... I was sent there,
    with a squad, to reinforce them.

He seems to go into an almost dream-like state,
    re-living the incident.

Cardassians were advancing on us,
    moving through the streets,
    destroying, killing... I was
    with a group of women and children
    when two Cardassian soldiers burst
    in... I stunned the one, but the
    other jumped me... we struggled...
    one of the women threw me a phaser
    and I fired...

O'Brien takes a sip of beer.

The phaser was set at maximum.
    The man just... incinerated...
    there, before my eyes.

I'd never killed anything before.
    When I was a kid I would worry
    about having to swat a mosquito.

O'Brien shoves his beer away, stands.

It's not you I hate, Cardassian.
    I hate what I became... because
    of you.

He walks out, leaving Daro staring into his drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

How Star Trek got aired in super Christian America, I have no idea. I imagine that Picard's vehemence, towards religion, would not be tolerated today

How Star Trek got aired in super Christian America, I have no idea. I imagine that Picard's vehemence, towards religion, would not be tolerated today

Add to that the fact that he was French with an English accent, double whammy of badness for our red blooded American friends! Think of all the associations it must have brought up, France-poncy, secretly gay, too stylish/fashionable, no sense of man work like chopping wood since they're all obsessed with haut couture, cinema and clothes. English accent-King George, colonisation, anti freedom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Goldstein wrote: »

It's not you I hate, Cardassian.
    I hate what I became... because
    of you.

Great line!! And great acting by Meany!

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

I guess Star Trek has a tendency to push such boundaries. Reading your comment reminded me that Kirk and Uhura had the first inter-racial kiss on (American at least) TV. I just read recently that the network were not sure whether they should air that or not and had them film a version with and without the kiss. Apparently Shatner and Nichols deliberately messed up every take of the non-kiss version so the network had to air the kiss.

O'Brien and Bashir had so many great moments on DS9. One of my favourites here. 'And that is from the heart. I really do... not hate you anymore.' :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I was very moved by Q's gift to Data at the end of Deja Q

• Advertisement

I was very moved by Q's gift to Data at the end of Deja Q

That whole scene on the bridge was great, didn't Riker say "I don't want you're fantasy women," yeah right Riker. Data's laughing at the end was excellent though, it reminded of a caricature of laughing/the merry jester, it conveyed the idea that Data was experiencing or was a symbol for the universal concept of humour at that particular moment which would tie in well with Q being an omnipotent being who was powerful enough by virtue of his omnipotence to deal in axioms/principles.

Advertisement