Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wishing to stay with UPC, but can't lift floorboards

• 21-09-2014 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hey,

Just looking for some advice... I've been with UPC for 6 years. I'm moving home now in Cork and want to keep my UPC account... However, the UPC installation engineer said there was no way to install at the address without lifting up the floorboard and skirting of the new address to access the duct. Naturally, our landlord would prefer not to do that. Is there any other option?

I guess I need to switch service providers. It sounds like Sky broadband is limited (maximum 24mb?) so I need to go with Eircom. But their TV service seems limited.

Has anyone any advice on moving from UPC and maintaining high-speed unlimited broadband with a good selection of cable tv channels?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

emmettu2 wrote: »
    Hey,

Just looking for some advice... I've been with UPC for 6 years. I'm moving home now in Cork and want to keep my UPC account... However, the UPC installation engineer said there was no way to install at the address without lifting up the floorboard and skirting of the new address to access the duct. Naturally, our landlord would prefer not to do that. Is there any other option?

Would the UPC engineer not replace/reinstate them after the install???
    I guess I need to switch service providers. It sounds like Sky broadband is limited (maximum 24mb?) so I need to go with Eircom. But their TV service seems limited.

Sky broadband is just eircom DSL, so any DSL provider should give the same as SKY/Eircom, plus you need to get a phone line.

Has anyone any advice on moving from UPC and maintaining high-speed unlimited broadband with a good selection of cable tv channels?

Thanks!

Can you get eircom fibre?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭emmettu2

Thanks!

No, he said someone else would have to lift the floorboards. And my landlord is nervous about it.

Thanks - I'll rule out sky.

Yes, we could get Eircom fibre in the area (Douglas, Cork). I guess we will do this and find some other option for tv. Wish we could stay with UPC though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Lift the floorboards yourself or get someone to do it..put them back when done....simples.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Why does the UPC engineer need to lift the floor boards?

I know it isn't as neat, but can he not just tack the cable along the top of the skirting boards?

That is what they did in my apartment and you don't even notice it.

Alternatively I assume the reason he needs to run new cable is to get to the TV. Instead you could just order broadband and have it put in any room and just use wifi. You can't get TV from UPC then, but at least you will have high quality TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hey,

Thanks!

Do you, or your landlord, know where the duct ends are?
    It seems to me all is needed is access to both ends of the ducting .......

• Advertisement

No, nobody seems to know for sure where the duct ends are. The UPC engineer said they're likely under the floorboards by the door. He put a rod through and there was some rustling near the door, which seemed to convince him.

The landlord just says that they had eircom without any problems so she doesn't want any floorboards lifted for something they never heard about existing under the floorboards.

I don't know why he can't just tack the cable along the top of the skirting boards either. I asked again and he just said "I'm afraid there's no other way of getting a supply into the house, sorry". I'll ask him again tomorrow about whether it would be possible without TV and just for broadbnd.

I'm sorry I don't know more about ducting - is there anything I can do locate the duct in the house for sure?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I don't know why he can't just tack the cable along the top of the skirting boards either. I asked again and he just said "I'm afraid there's no other way of getting a supply into the house, sorry". I'll ask him again tomorrow about whether it would be possible without TV and just for broadbnd.

Obviously I don't know the details of the house, but that just sounds like an excuse.

Is there a UPC box/ tap on the outside wall of the house? Another alternative he could do is run the coax cable from the UPC box outside the house, along the outside of the house and drill a small hole in the wall into the house where the TV is and bring a new cable in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

In my own apartment they wanted to get to the tap so they could upgrade it, unfortunately they apparently sealed the taps into the walls when they were building the apartments so they couldn't get to it. So if that is why they want to get to it, then they will probably be able to offer a tv service without upgrading it, but the internet would require it. As my apartment was built with UPC already in place, they would have had to a new cable quite a distance in order to connect to the parts that were tacked onto the sides of buildings, further than they were willing to. Bad design obviously. I do have internet with them in the end, but the line is a little noisier and it means I've been stuck on the older 30Mb contract (though I do think the line would be enough to support Docsis3).
    is there anything I can do locate the duct in the house for sure?
    Only thing I could suggest is to see if any of your neighbours were in the same boat. If all the houses were built together then it is probable that the tap is located in the same place in every house, and if anyone has UPC internet, then possibly they know what had to be done to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BulliteShot

Why not just say your landlord says there is no duct. Wouldn't they just install it through the wall?

Thanks - I've tried that a few times now, but each time they say that they can only go with what the technician said. They said the only option is to lift the floorboard. The technicial told me it's likely under the floorboard but he wasn't sure - he looked around the house and he called a colleague to see where it usually is in those houses (he didn't know).

They also said I can't just order broadband, as it has the same problem.

It's a pity because I really wanted to stay with UPC, but I'll need to order Eircom now. (They won't let me order until next week as the previous tenant canceled the account 3 weeks ago and they have to wait for that one to expire apparently... :( )

• Advertisement

I agree with bk, it's a very easy fix for them to run a new cable from outside. I'd ask for another technicians opinion at UPC. They'll probably charge you for that but if you really want UPC over Eircom I'd say it's worth it.

Edit: This sounds like the Google Fibre "Flush your modem down the toilet" joke. Expect it isn't funny. http://www.google.ie/tisp/

Edit2: I had a wireless ISP survey my house when I was 14 years old. He said there's no hope in getting broadband. I suffered with dialup for another 6 years before leaving home. Now I'm an adult with a full technical knowledge of how wireless works. It was as simple as cutting a hole in the hedge-line between some trees across the road and now my parents have broadband from that same ISP. The point I'm making here is that the technician will just opt for the easy yes/no survey.

Finally got someone at UPC to send out the technician supervisor who was great. It took a few minutes to set me up. There was a panel on the wall that you remove to reveal the UPC point... He was super apologetic about the previous technician missing something so obvious. I'm glad I didn't take up any floorboards !!

Although I was without service for 2 weeks, I'm just relieved to keep my UPC account. Thanks to everyone who suggested getting another technician there!

You're welcome, glad to hear you got them in the end.

Advertisement