Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First Year UCC Students 2012-2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

When is orientation week? I haven't gotten any info from UCC and the website is giving me mixed info on what the dates are :o

Most dates are available here, and as far as I know, HEAR students should look here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Most dates are available here, and as far as I know, HEAR students should look here. :)

I think you get stuff in the post too, about the Fáilte Fest as far as I can remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Just to let u know for those doing history, hope ye are morning people.
    Lectures are 9am Monday, Wdnesday and Friday.and 10am another day (wish i had known this)
    Unless u love history, I wouldn't bother studying it.
    I loved history in school but its uber boring here. I just used leaving cert revision book and passed it.

:rolleyes:

The time is irrelevant for whether a course is good or not.

Also, history in college far outweighs Leaving Cert standard which is a crock of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kerrycailin7

:rolleyes:

The time is irrelevant for whether a course is good or not.

Also, history in college far outweighs Leaving Cert standard which is a crock of rubbish.

:(When u r out tuesday and thursday nights,
    9am lectures are not very appealing are they????? Doesn't really matter how interesting the course is:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2 suedeandwool

Paudyyy wrote: »
    Those that are doing Arts, what subjects are you choosing?
    English, Psychology, Philosophy and Politics hopefully!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Michael9389

:(When u r out tuesday and thursday nights,
    9am lectures are not very appealing are they????? Doesn't really matter how interesting the course is:p

Wow. Who cares when the classes are on, you should be attending them, not worried about your nights out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MartonD2

Ha you were toult!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

This thread has gone arseways.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭claireblossom

Don't think I'll be ale to make freshers fest, my debs are the night before :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 kerrycailin7

Wow. Who cares when the classes are on, you should be attending them, not worried about your nights out.

Sorry, ReacherCreature but it made a huge difference to me and others what time lectures are on. Some students commute long distances and early starts are not always possible. Some of us have families and sometimes might even enjoy the odd night out. Of course we all should attend all lectures but its not always possible in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Sorry, ReacherCreature but it made a huge difference to me and others what time lectures are on. Some students commute long distances and early starts are not always possible. Some of us have families and sometimes might even enjoy the odd night out. Of course we all should attend all lectures but its not always possible in the real world.

That wasn't really what you implied in your previous posts though, is it? I have to drive 20 minutes and then walk a further 40 minutes to get to college in the morning. It is possible - just get up earlier. If you go out, that's your choice. It's the same in every educational institution. I used to commute into town to start school at 8.50am.

If it is absolutely impossible to make a 9am lecture, take it up with the class rep and head of the dpt (if it affects several students) and see if it can be altered, or if some kind of arrangement can be made.

Obviously, very few people make it to every single lecture, but if you always miss certain lectures, something should be done.

This is completely OT.:o

I can't believe it's been a whole year (almost!) since I started college...so weird! The time goes so fast...enjoy it while you can first years! I'm heading into second year, and anticipating a greatly inflated workload!:p

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

What I have done is migrated all the introduce yourself posts to the Introduce yourself thread since this one has gone off topic! This one is for first year chat, introductions to be done over here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056735482 - everyone is welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 andrewgally

well! i got castlewhite aswel..movin down from mayo...thought i was goin to be a loner. good to know theres other westies.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 andrewgally

Zola100 wrote: »
    Is any one moving into castlewhite ?? , me and mate got accepted there today moving down from galway :) does anyone no much about it , is it good crack ?

I got CW aswell. movin down from mayo. good to know theres other westies!

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭MauraTheThird

Most dates are available here :)
    I checked this and if you click into your specific course on the righthand side, the dates are for 2011, at least it is for Pharmacy:p Just to warn everyone! Anybody know when we'll hear from UCC?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I checked this and if you click into your specific course on the righthand side, the dates are for 2011, at least it is for Pharmacy:p Just to warn everyone! Anybody know when we'll hear from UCC?

Prob next week some stage iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Zola100

I got CW aswell. movin down from mayo. good to know theres other westies!

Nice , where in mayo ya from , we will have to have a session when we all get down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dcbeast

Zola100 wrote: »
    Is any one moving into castlewhite ?? , me and mate got accepted there today moving down from galway :) does anyone no much about it , is it good crack ?

Whereabouts in Galway are you from?

I'm from Connamara myself so it's nice to see other Galwegians heading down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Riverrunner

conor93a wrote: »
    Any of ye Staying in Brookfield?

Me! Just got the letters from them yesterday, exciting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Zola100

dcbeast wrote: »
    Whereabouts in Galway are you from?

I'm from Connamara myself so it's nice to see other Galwegians heading down :)

Oughterard :) , yourself ?

I have to agree with Reacher - your post about lectures being on 9am and it not being convenient if you are out Tuesdays and Thursdays seemed to come across as a typical student stereotype - you said not to bother studying it, and it seemed that the only reason for this is that because of the times it is on.

freshers fest isn't vital at all tbh - don't think I went to mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ItsChip

Don't think I'll be ale to make freshers fest, my debs are the night before :/

Same here :\ I haven't a clue what to do because I've been hearing from one side its a must to go and others like 2nd years and stuff that it really didn't bother them.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭claireblossom

ItsChip wrote: »
    Same here :\ I haven't a clue what to do because I've been hearing from one side its a must to go and others like 2nd years and stuff that it really didn't bother them.
    I'd rather go to Freshers but I've already paid for my tickets and dress, I might head home from the debs earlyish(around 1 or 2am) and drag myself onto a train that morning, I'm going to be in some awfull state :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ItsChip

I'd rather go to Freshers but I've already paid for my tickets and dress, I might head home from the debs earlyish(around 1 or 2am) and drag myself onto a train that morning, I'm going to be in some awfull state :eek:

Hahaha I'd say I'll be the same, head home after the debs earlier than the rest for Saturday, I'd like to enjoy myself Saturday like instead trying to stay awake or not to puke xD

I never went to my Freshers thing. Just the orientation. That said it might be beneficial but not vital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭conor93a

See you there!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Vetton

Block H? :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Vetton wrote: »

My sister's staying there! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Riverrunner

Vetton wrote: »

F :( Not far away though.

Advertisement