Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

French resorts - are they all like this?

• 12-03-2015 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

I've always been told that ski resorts in France are a bit, err, clinical. I always thought this was some sort of propaganda, but bejabers . . . if the "apartments" in Tignes that I'm looking at are representative of what France has to offer then I think tiny, cramped, squashed, and a few other things like that can be added to the list.

There are places that claim to sleep, feed, wash and the other thing 4 people in 25 or 30 m2 with clever placement of bunk beds, TVs in wardrobes, etc . . . These places would make Dublin tenements look spacious. The hall and bathrooms in the apartment we had in Austria this year were almost the size of the entire apartment in Tignes.

Which is all by way of saying . . . can anyone recommend a good sized (50 m2 would just about cut it, 70-100 would be better) apartment in Tignes? I can't see a week with 2 adults & 2 teenagers going down too well in that sort of space.

z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭karl83

Booked with crystal or direct ski?..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I'm booking direct - we're heading there in the Summer.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

If you're going in the summer, why not look at a proper hotel or rent two apartments side by side. You will be paying peanuts compared to the winter rates.
    Btw, if you are thinking of the glacier skiiing there, in my experience by the second day you will have had your fill there.

Yep, glacier skiing. I know the appeal will only last so long, but we've plenty of other things to do there.

We're looking at hotels and stuff as well as two apartments, but it's very hard (so far) to spot any proper hotels. There are a couple of Pierre & Vacance places, but they look to be offering apartments. If anyone can recommend anywhere I would appreciate it.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

If you are planning on glacier skiing, val claret will be the best town to base yourself in.

• Advertisement

Thanks - yeah, we're staying in Val Claret. Just booked it a few days ago. It's an apartment, but has access to a sauna & swimming pool in the property next door.

http://www.cgh-residences.co.uk/summer/access/residence-le-jhana.html

I don't suppose you know which ski hire places are open during the Summer? I had a look at InterSport & a few others but they seem to be closed. I also mailed the Tignes tourism folks but got no reply yet.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Personally think the Les Deux Alpes glacier is the class during the summer - amazing park for anyone that's into it and loads of summer camps for anyone looking to progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭webwayz

Was in Val Torens found it very artificial but good conditions in a year when there was poor snow.
    Les Deux Alps was very good, but as with lots of resorts it was an apartment in a big block, ski to the door though.
    Serre Chevalier is a great resort, and we did a DIY trip there hiring a chalet, a very french resort where we were.
    -
    I think i prefer the pension style accommodation of Austrian or German ski resorts, and found it to be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

There's one thing the French do well, is Chalet holidays. The apartments are grim. But you can get some seriously good deal on catered chalets (usually UK companies) with all the trimmings. If we were to do France again, Chalet or no-way (that rhymes, right?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Bit late now but we stayed in Les Suites du Palafour in Le Lac, Tignes. Amazing apartment.

Have also stayed in a building in Val Claret, no idea what the building was called, but it's in the same building as Agence ski et soleil, there was 4 of us in a sleeps 7, and we were cramped. but it was cheaper......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Smaller french resorts tend to be cuter, but far too low for Summer skiing obv. Purpose built high ones are space station esque and pack you in like sardines if you let therm.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭mgkelly

a148pro wrote: »
    Smaller french resorts tend to be cuter, but far too low for Summer skiing obv. Purpose built high ones are space station esque and pack you in like sardines if you let therm.
    Agree with that. Have skied a few years with the family in a lovely wee resort called Praz de Lys, in a nice snow pocket, only about 1.5h from Geneva. It is relatively close to Les Gets. However, not high & shuts at Easter. Pierre & Vacances/Maeva have apartments, but after a couple of years of sardining, we found a much nicer place. Well recommended, but not good for late in season.
    Didn't think there was much summer skiing in France, at all. Surprised to hear chat about glacier skiing. We've done Hintertux (not too bad), Kaprun (quite good, but hordes come up from Zell am See!) & Stubai (just alright; nice part of the world).

Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

P and V generally ok if you go for one of their more upmarket ones and put one less person in than they pretend you can fit. There is no way even the French could live at max occupancy in some of those places. Thankfully accommodation in France is actually quite cheap so if you can afford it is well worth moving up a mark or two. As for that fecking 80 euro charge if you don't clean the apart crap, or leave the bin bags in the wrong place, christ there's times you utterly hate the french.

Visited La Clusaz last time out of Geneva, very pleasant small resort vibe, and very close to the airport.

Advertisement