Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Wanted] 4-bedroom house - Tullamore or Clara, Co. Offaly

• 06-07-2011 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Needed urgently a 4 bedroom house for rent in either Tullamore or Clara Co Offaly with a maximum budget of €500

In my opinion it is not acceptable for people to have a house advertised at an exorbitant price and will not negotiate.
    Long gone are the days where the rental asking price could be the mortgage price for a month.

I have asked easily ten property owners whose houses have been up on various sites with out selling or renting to consider an offer of 500 euro per month and they shoot it down.
    I would have though it better to have the house lived in rather than left vacant and a reasonable amount of money coming in toward the mortgage.

So in a nut shell Im appealing to all property owners to consider my request
    €500 euro per month and I can move Immediately!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not everyone owes the bank money and consequently aren't necessarily under pressure to rent out the property. The vacancy rate in Offaly is 11.8%, which is relatively low compared to many places.

In Offaly, there are two properties on daft.ie for €500 - one in Kinnity and one in Moneygall. Realistically, people are asking for €600-700, so you may have to come a little bit higher. Alternatively, look for a smaller property.

If you are dependent on rent allowance, you are entitled to have a rent up to €600, assuming its a family with a minimum of 3 children. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mountians

Yes Victor that is true about the vacancy rate. However you must meet certain conditions to qualify for rent allowance i.e rent the property for 183 days before you can get it etc.
    So the rent that is set is a direct reflection of the rental supplement (landlords know that they can get it) that can be paid by the state. So for a person like me who will not qualify for it and has only a budget of €500 per month and a need to rent in Clara or Tullamore the lack of negotiation in my opinion is unfair.

There are houses up for rent and for sale for the last six months still unoccupied and unwilling to even consider a reduction in price. If it were me even if I did not owe money to the bank I would take the €500 a month!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Eleganza

You sound like a high maintenance tenant.

I don't need the hassle of a tenant dictating to me price and I don't want them telling me what they are "entitled" to. 6K for a full year assuming the tenant doesn't up sticks before then isn't worth enough for me to bother renting my property out and then repairing damage to my very expensive floors, kitchen, walls and furniture.
    Will I get to keep the 500 euro deposit to cover damage that you'll claim is normal wear and tear rather than you being just dog rough and careless with other peoples property? No I won't and I'll characterised as the slumlord/capitalist pig as well if I try.
    If you want a house with four bedrooms then look in Portlaoise or Mullingar and you may have more luck there.
    At the moment the demand and supply curve for 4 bed houses in Offaly do not intersect at 500 euro. Based on yields from an investment property there is no 4 bed house selling in Offaly where 500 euro p.m rental would make renting to you at 500 euro anything more than charity.

Primary point: It's just not worth the hassle between tax and upkeep and admin costs and labour involved to rent out high value asset to you at 500 euro per month.

Disclaimer: I'm not a landlord. I choose not to be an landlord because it's not worth my while to be a landlord even though I currently have a vacant property that I could be letting out for about 750 per month.
    Shocking isn't it.

Eleganza
    I'm not looking for charity I'm simply looking for what I can afford. And I thought here would be a great place to hear peoples opinions from both sides.
    But I do understand where your coming from also.
    If Portlaoise or Mullingar fitted my needs I would not be on this site the same can be said for Moate and Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

mountians wrote: »
    Eleganza
    I'm not looking for charity I'm simply looking for what I can afford. .

last time i checked looking for rent 20 - 40% below market rate was looking for charity :rolleyes::rolleyes:

either up your budget, or downgrade your expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1067796

€550 a month, might take €500?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Eleganza wrote: »
    You sound like a high maintenance tenant.

I don't need the hassle of a tenant dictating to me price and I don't want them telling me what they are "entitled" to. 6K for a full year assuming the tenant doesn't up sticks before then isn't worth enough for me to bother renting my property out and then repairing damage to my very expensive floors, kitchen, walls and furniture.
    Will I get to keep the 500 euro deposit to cover damage that you'll claim is normal wear and tear rather than you being just dog rough and careless with other peoples property? No I won't and I'll characterised as the slumlord/capitalist pig as well if I try.
    If you want a house with four bedrooms then look in Portlaoise or Mullingar and you may have more luck there.
    At the moment the demand and supply curve for 4 bed houses in Offaly do not intersect at 500 euro. Based on yields from an investment property there is no 4 bed house selling in Offaly where 500 euro p.m rental would make renting to you at 500 euro anything more than charity.

Primary point: It's just not worth the hassle between tax and upkeep and admin costs and labour involved to rent out high value asset to you at 500 euro per month.

Disclaimer: I'm not a landlord. I choose not to be an landlord because it's not worth my while to be a landlord even though I currently have a vacant property that I could be letting out for about 750 per month.
    Shocking isn't it.

Ok, so the demand and supply curve don't intersect at 500 euro. But someone else said there is an 11.7% vacancy rate in Offaly. A quick check on Daft gets you 96 houses in Offaly, (min beds 3 and max rent 900) which certainly seems like a lot of supply for a small market just above the price the OP is willing to pay.

Rent supplement gets you 600 euro. Given the level of vacancies, it seems that the main thing preventing the supply and demand curve from intersecting at 500 euro is rent allowance.

2 bed townhouses in Tullamore without gardens have a maket rate of 500 to 550 per month. I'm familiar with the locality and know this is the current market rate.
    Long term I expect prices in Tullamore to drop as the depression takes hold but Tullamore will be behind the curve.
    Tullamore is very well supplied with decentralised jobs and hospital jobs.
    Rent Allowance is what it is at the moment and discussing it on an internet forum is not going to change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Eleganza wrote: »
    2 bed townhouses in Tullamore without gardens have a maket rate of 500 to 550 per month. I'm familiar with the locality and know this is the current market rate.
    Long term I expect prices in Tullamore to drop as the depression takes hold but Tullamore will be behind the curve.
    Tullamore is very well supplied with decentralised jobs and hospital jobs.
    Rent Allowance is what it is at the moment and discussing it on an internet forum is not going to change it.

Neither will discussing rents make people pay more or less so why the problem with discussing rent allowance.

The point I am making, and it is one that is commonly made, is that rent allowance is acting like a floor to the market and preventing market clearance. I also believe that it is one of the areas that will be targeted for a big cut in December's budget or even before that as it will allow Labour to say it is not cutting the main social welfare rates.

Godge wrote: »
    I also believe that it is one of the areas that will be targeted for a big cut in December's budget
    Here's hoping but off topic.

• Advertisement

I successfully got a house with 4 bedrooms at 500 per month!!
    Thank you boards.ie

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement