Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Hamster Clinic (or the Repair Advice Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Somehow I didn't see this until now :S

Depending on what has gone wrong it could need parts or at best the switch that detects the flash being popped up is dislodged (common fault) and needs to be reseated which although a pain to do, can be done without mich disassembly. PM me if you still need this sorted and Ill see if I can help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I spotted this earlier - might be something in it for the new owner or the current owner to get it repaired

http://www.adverts.ie/lenses/canon-ef-24-105-f-4-is-l/1178620

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

MAKE : FujiFilm

ITEM : Screen

MODEL : JV-100 Compact

FAULT : Crack in screen from top to bottom

Sorry, just seen this sticky now. Is there a repair service in the Dublin Area that could fix this or is it even worth fixing? The camera has very little use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Hello Everybody

Make: Canon Eos

Item: SLR body

Model: 300v

Fault: door clasp doesn't work, door won't remain closed

When/how it happened: I dunno:o

Anybody know who in Dublin or surrounding can repair said door at decent price.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭kingofburt

If anyone can answer this I'd be very grateful.

I bought my dad a Sony MS-HX8B Memory Stick Pro - HG Duo for christmas, but not sure if it is able to work in his relativly old Sony DSC-P200.

Is this going to be ok or have I bought a memory card that is too advanced for the camera.

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭batman1

Make: Nikon

Item: Flash mount and body

Model: D3000

Fault : Broken flash mount and cracked body

When/How it happened:

Son accidentally knocked my Nikon D3000 with speedlight flash attached, off the kitchen worktop and onto the floor, flash first!

Flash works ok and camera works ok BUT, not together.

The flash mount on the camera was bent up on one side and also, the actual plastic camera body is cracked along the left hand side of the flash mount. It's a big enough crack that I can see wires through it.

The camera is still covered by Jessops 3 year 'repair plus' policy but I am thinking a new body/camera would be required as the body looks to be a complete moulded unit.

4B1AAA9B124B467AB9DE8382BA194017-0000332571-0002683312-00500L-80C595C41C9B42D4A6A7B52C511CD308.jpg

D89229BDDA164FB296D02C0886AEB838-0000332571-0002683311-00500L-D907A36B259D4F6291B7BA2CC90B3138.jpg

kingofburt wrote: »
    If anyone can answer this I'd be very grateful.

I bought my dad a Sony MS-HX8B Memory Stick Pro - HG Duo for christmas, but not sure if it is able to work in his relativly old Sony DSC-P200.

Is this going to be ok or have I bought a memory card that is too advanced for the camera.

Thanks in advance.

Im probably a bit late for this but the largest card his camera can accept is the MS-MT4G which is the 4gb pro duo mark I.

here is a comparison chart to tell you which cards are compatible.

Hope that helps and isn't too late.

batman1 wrote: »

When/How it happened:

Son accidentally knocked my Nikon D3000 with speedlight flash attached, off the kitchen worktop and onto the floor, flash first!

Flash works ok and camera works ok BUT, not together.

The flash mount on the camera was bent up on one side and also, the actual plastic camera body is cracked along the left hand side of the flash mount. It's a big enough crack that I can see wires through it.

The camera is still covered by Jessops 3 year 'repair plus' policy but I am thinking a new body/camera would be required as the body looks to be a complete moulded unit.

If the camera has no other faults and the pop up flash works fine the top cover can be replaced and if the pop up flash doesn't work then the top cover and pop up flash can be replaced. From what you say it seems that the hot shoe too the brunt of the force and replacing the body wouldn't be necessary thankfully.
    If you are covered by the repair plus policy go for it and if you aren't then PM me and I can help you out as it isn't as expensive a part as it looks to replace.

If you have any questions let me know and Ill see what I can do to answer them.

I hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Make: canon

Item: lens

Model: 24-105mm f/4 L

Fault: grit stuck under focus ring

When/how it happened: last week i was in portrane, and it was very windy. i am assuming some sand got into my focus ring. i didn't notice until last night - when you turn the focus ring, you can hear grit/sand. it sounds like only a grain or two, but i am worried.

would you be able fix this, or know of a place that i need to take it to get it fixed? i have taken it off my body for now and am not using it. i think i'll take my other camera to the beach next time and not such an expensive lens. i didn't think dirt was able to get into those L lenses. :(

Make: canon

Item: lens

Model: 24-105mm f/4 L

Fault: grit stuck under focus ring

When/how it happened: last week i was in portrane, and it was very windy. i am assuming some sand got into my focus ring. i didn't notice until last night - when you turn the focus ring, you can hear grit/sand. it sounds like only a grain or two, but i am worried.

would you be able fix this, or know of a place that i need to take it to get it fixed? i have taken it off my body for now and am not using it. i think i'll take my other camera to the beach next time and not such an expensive lens. i didn't think dirt was able to get into those L lenses. :(

Hi,

That sounds unlucky to have happened as normally the L lenses are pretty well sealed against that type of thing but they are resilient too so if you caught it early no damage should have been done.

I could sort that out for you if you want, PM me I can give you my details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

batman1 wrote: »

Look here >http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NIKON-D3000-TOP-COVER-UNIT-NEW-ORIGINAL-REPAIR-PART-OEM-/330543806553?pt=Digital_Camera_Accessories&hash=item4cf5f23859

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

Item: Auto focus

Fault : Will focus manually but will no longer auto focus

I put my camera on the kitchen table and my puppy came along and tugged the tablecloth and pulled the camera down. I didn't see where it hit when it fell but now the auto focus will try to adjust but not to a level where it will allow you take a picture.

shuffles88 wrote: »

Item: Auto focus

Fault : Will focus manually but will no longer auto focus

I put my camera on the kitchen table and my puppy came along and tugged the tablecloth and pulled the camera down. I didn't see where it hit when it fell but now the auto focus will try to adjust but not to a level where it will allow you take a picture.

Does the camera give focus confirmation on manual (if it normally did and you aren't not using live view as that uses a different method for focusing).

Does the camera hunt back and forward or does it settle each time consistantly at a certain point (use one point and make sure you keep the distance the same so you can tell if the photo's are randomly focused or not)

If it isn't focusing or giving focus confirmation then it could be a number of things causing the problem. The two main things that would jump out at me would be the mirror or sub mirror being misaligned or the AF sensor being misaligned from the impact.

Was a lens on the camera when it fell and it would be good to check to see if the viewfinder center matches the actual centre of the photo (checking to see if the main mirror is misalligned).

If you want I could take a look at it? PM me and Ill see what I can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Item: DSLR Body

Model: D40

Fault: A description of the fault.

When/how it happened:

The camera stopped working sometime at the end of August, I'm fairly certain my friend or younger brother allowed to the body of the camera to fall (there is no damage to the exterior so it wouldn't have fallen from a height, just general clumsiness when they were putting the camera on a surface). When I shake the body I can hear something small and loose rattling about inside. It worked for a couple of days after the fall, but now when I switch it on the lens does not focus (like the body does not recognize the lens) and does not take pictures.

Item: DSLR Body

Model: D40

Fault: A description of the fault.

When/how it happened:

The camera stopped working sometime at the end of August, I'm fairly certain my friend or younger brother allowed to the body of the camera to fall (there is no damage to the exterior so it wouldn't have fallen from a height, just general clumsiness when they were putting the camera on a surface). When I shake the body I can hear something small and loose rattling about inside. It worked for a couple of days after the fall, but now when I switch it on the lens does not focus (like the body does not recognize the lens) and does not take pictures.

Hi,

Sorry I haven't gotten a chance to reply in the last few days.

Have you taken the lens off to see is the mirror ok or perhaps something is moving around the mirror box?
    I do repairs and would be happy to have a look and let you know what is wrong as the D40 has a few things that commonly fail.

Does the top lcd or rear lcd display anything when you try to shoot as sometimes depending on what it says can be indicative or certain faults.

Does the camera AF confirm in manual?
    Also if you check another lens on the body to see if it focuses on AF.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Slightly Bunkers

Make: Canon

Item: Lens

Model: 18-55mm IS kit lens

Fault: Auto focus not working. Can be used on Manual but with effort.

When/how it happened:

Not sure what happened. Went to take photos at a wedding and discovered the problem. The only thing that comes to mind is one day when camera was in auto focus a friend was taking a shot with and was focusing manualy. I wonder if manualy focusing while camers is trying to auto focus would cause any damage?

Model: 18-55mm IS kit lens

Fault: Auto focus not working. Can be used on Manual but with effort.

When/how it happened:

Not sure what happened. Went to take photos at a wedding and discovered the problem. The only thing that comes to mind is one day when camera was in auto focus a friend was taking a shot with and was focusing manualy. I wonder if manualy focusing while camers is trying to auto focus would cause any damage?

Hi,

Sounds like the focus barrel in the lens is jammed which would explain why the AF doesn't work but on manual can be forced. I would strongly recommend not using the lens especially forcing the mechanism as this will damage components in the lens. forcing the lens manually while most lenses are set to AF will damage the gears in the lens from the high torque caused by forcing the focus ring.

If you PM me I can help as there can only be a few parts in the lens that are causing the jam. Also if used on a beach or sandy area, grains of sand can jam up a lens gears/barrel, especially on cheaper lenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

just a quick note to say thanks to ZH for fixing my Canon EF 24 -105mm lens

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Slightly Bunkers

Hi,

Sounds like the focus barrel in the lens is jammed which would explain why the AF doesn't work but on manual can be forced. I would strongly recommend not using the lens especially forcing the mechanism as this will damage components in the lens. forcing the lens manually while most lenses are set to AF will damage the gears in the lens from the high torque caused by forcing the focus ring.

If you PM me I can help as there can only be a few parts in the lens that are causing the jam. Also if used on a beach or sandy area, grains of sand can jam up a lens gears/barrel, especially on cheaper lenses.

PM Sent! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19 chuckjits

Item: DSLR main body

Model: EOS 450d

Fault: LCD Screen does not come on when you press play and it will not let you shoot.

When/how it happened:

Sitting at desk,Whilst adjusting F stop, switched to automatic mode. Wouldn't take pic so switched on and off, then removed battery, removed lens and memory card then reinstalled these. Flash popped up then I attempted to take another shot , Error 99 continuosly appeared and then Error 5, now a blank screen.

I have tried a different SD card and battery and rebooting without lens, with no success.

What I need to know is;

Will this be expensive to fix, would I be better off buying a new body?
    Any help appreciated.

Thanks

• Advertisement

chuckjits wrote: »

Item: DSLR main body

Model: EOS 450d

Fault: LCD Screen does not come on when you press play and it will not let you shoot.

When/how it happened:

Sitting at desk,Whilst adjusting F stop, switched to automatic mode. Wouldn't take pic so switched on and off, then removed battery, removed lens and memory card then reinstalled these. Flash popped up then I attempted to take another shot , Error 99 continuosly appeared and then Error 5, now a blank screen.

I have tried a different SD card and battery and rebooting without lens, with no success.

What I need to know is;

Will this be expensive to fix, would I be better off buying a new body?
    Any help appreciated.

Thanks
    Hi,

It's interesting that you got an error 5 during all of that. Error 5 usually points to the pop up flash being unable to pop up OR the switch that tells the camera that it is popped up is damaged/jammed.

Error 99 is a broad error that can relate to a number or faults such as shutter failure and motor failure for the mirror (which also rotates the gear controlling the pop up flash catch) so Im going to say it is probably relating to the motor considering the Error 5 would fit that also.

What could be happening is the camera could have jammed gears or the motor may be dead (happens a lot on 40Ds). Without examining the camera it is hard to tell what exactly is wrong but the blank screen could point to issues with power (not enough power to rotate motor causing error 5 and 99s). That would be the main suspect causes of faults which are all cheaper than replacing the body to fix.

I could have a look at the camera for you if you are interested in repair or if you want more info PM me and I would be happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 chuckjits

Thanks very much for the help, was in a bit of a rush though so ended up dropping it in to ISS. Gonna need a new LCD. Cheers again for taking the time.

chuckjits wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the help, was in a bit of a rush though so ended up dropping it in to ISS. Gonna need a new LCD. Cheers again for taking the time.

Just so you know that ISS just send their stuff off to the UK and charge you extra for doing so. If you are thinking of getting a repair done through them next time it would be quicker and cheaper to send it to the UK ASF's directly as you won't have to pay that extra handling fee they charge.

Did they say it needed a new LCD from your description or has it been tested in the UK already as I can 99% say that the LCD could have indeed failed but that wouldn't cause an error 99 and definitely not an error 5 so I would expect to get a restimate as the LCD wouldn't be the root of the problem...

Either way keep us updated on what they say the cause was and what is wrong with the camera as I would suspect there is more to the problem then just LCD replacement (although that would be a nice ending to have).

I hope you get it sorted quickly and if the repair falls through give me a shout and Ill see if I can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Item: Compact Camera
    Model: IXUS 115 HS
    Fault: bright red "dead" pixel on lcd screen
    When/how it happened: From time of purchase (or very soon after)

Hi, its not that big of a problem, annoying more than anything, i just want to know if its covered by warranty.

Normally there is a certain tolerance with LCD screens as to how many dead/hot pixels there can be before it falls below the acceptable quality and is considered faulty so it may fall under warranty but could also fall under the acceptable number of dead/hot pixels to not warrant a repair under warranty (ie they wouldn't consider it needed repair rather than that type of fault not being covered).

Give the shop you bought it in a ring or Canon and ask if it would be under warranty, they will probably ask you to send it in to check though.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭colly3

A big thank you to ZH who not only fixed the issue I knew I had with my DLSR but also one that I wasn't aware of which would have surfaced sooner rather than later, both of which were fixed at a fraction of the cost normally associated with repair shops.

Thoroughly professional guy, excellent service and offered some extremely useful advice.

I'm really pleased with the outcome and couldn't recommend ZH highly enough.

Well done & and thanks:D

Cheers for the feedback, Glad you are happy with it and I hope the camera gets good use with it's new user.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

That reminds me, any news on the new fuzz for my back? ;)

I had completely forgotten about the back to be honest as the seals didn't arrive to jog my memory :eek:

I've been waiting for months for those seals to arrive and to be honest considering they haven't gotten here already I think they may have been a casualty of the postal system. I've fired off an e-mail to the supplier and also another to SPT enquiring about anyone else who can supply some seals quickly.

Will get back to you in a day or two when I have some solid info for you.

Sorry for the delay on this, completely slipped my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Model: 50mm f1.4 EF USM
    Fault: Back focus issue
    When/how it happened: Notice that when I focus on something and take a shot, the sharpest point is on an object behind it.

Hi I have a problem with my lens. I was shooting a sports match yesterday and one of the things I noticed was that in a lot of the shots, the audience were in full focus and the player was out of focus. Now this was during a high speed game.

I then tried to focus on a stationary object and I was getting the same issue.

Do you know how I can test this or if you can have a look at it? I'm in Greystones today if you are around.

Thanks

Stephen

Advertisement