Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ultra Street Fighter 4 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Display lag are reporting that the new patch for PS4 makes USF4 very, very comparable response wise to 360.

Has there been another patch, because after the first one they reported it being slower still by over a frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

If you're feeling desperate, pick up a cheapo ps3 one somewhere. Not a dual mod though- apparently they have trouble working.

I might do that, or chance a Hori...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Has there been another patch, because after the first one they reported it being slower still by over a frame.

Yeah there was a patch last night. It's pretty much the same as 360 now apparently.

Doyler was up at the gaff before the current patch, played one game of it, and demanded I turn on the xbox :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

blag wrote: »
    Great, now if only Mad Catz were prepared to take my money.....

I keep checking the MadCatz site daily. I have the HRAP V4 but prefer the feel of my TE.

I dunno if anyone else even remembers the early days of this thread, but I'm glad they finally put Shadow in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭airmax87

Steam is so bad but sometimes I'm too lazy to go downstairs

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭shane9fingers

This will probably be too basic for most of you, but I found this 3 part tutorial really good at explaining stuff:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFTvXXoDNRA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx6Z5VGsBw4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXB8xHLA0To
    The date on them is 2009 but they're still pretty relevant. Helped me anyways! Especially the 3rd one, I'm always getting baited on wakeup.

Specific numbers for each game can be found below, courtesy of Evo organizer Joey “Mr. Wizard” Cuellar.

Ultra Street Fighter IV – 2227
    Super Smash Bros. for Wii U – 1926
    Super Smash Bros. Melee – 1869
    Mortal Kombat X – 1162
    Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- – 968
    Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 – 816
    Tekken 7 – 458
    Persona 4 Arena Ultimax – 437
    Killer Instinct – 397

SF4 going out on a high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭2gen

Too Godlike....:pac:

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

If you haven't watched the excellent Adventures in a while, this is the one to watch. Xian is so so funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Anyone ever have issues getting their sticks to work in USF4 on PC?

Both my controllers (TE and Foehammer running a PS360+) are detected by the game. When I go into Button Config they appear on the list of controllers it asks me to assign buttons to. However, when I try to assign buttons nothing happens. Neither the stick or buttons are useable despite the controller appearing on the list.

Both controllers work fine in Skullgirls.

Just to be 100%, you're scrolling right over to the bit that says "Controller 1" right? That's all I have to do to set buttons, never really had an issue before, plug and play.

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Just to be 100%, you're scrolling right over to the bit that says "Controller 1" right? That's all I have to do to set buttons, never really had an issue before, plug and play.
    I'm scrolling over to the part that says "Madcatz Tournament Edition" when the TE is plugged in, and "PS360+" when I have the Foehammer plugged in.

I should mention I have to do all this with the keyboard because neither stick does anything.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Sairus wrote: »
    I should mention I have to do all this with the keyboard because neither stick does anything.

I used to have the same problem playing on the laptop. No controller would work until I alt+tab'd out of the game and then back in. Then everything would work. Don't ask me why :pac:

I'm scrolling over to the part that says "Madcatz Tournament Edition" when the TE is plugged in, and "PS360+" when I have the Foehammer plugged in.

That's weird, I just get controller 1, like onion.

Rob2D wrote: »
    I used to have the same problem playing on the laptop. No controller would work until I alt+tab'd out of the game and then back in. Then everything would work. Don't ask me why :pac:
    Shift+Tab doesn't work, but I tried Alt+Escape then opening it again and all my sticks work. What the hell?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Shift+Tab doesn't work, but I tried Alt+Escape then opening it again and all my sticks work. What the hell?

Yeah just alt out or alt away then come back:)

I love you PC gaming:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭airmax87

steam free weekend players mindgames make me like
    5KRc8ue.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Something I just realized at the Evo all nighter last night.

Juri is a pyschopath who enjoys inflicting pain.
    Decapre is a brainwashed pyschopath.

Man, people most think I'm into messed up women! :rolleyes:

Well, at least I'm not a perv....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I picked this game up today. Literally haven't played a SF game (or any fighter) in about 15 years. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the depth of the gameplay on offer here. Any advice on how to crack open the gameplay, or is it just a case of putting in the hard, long hours? As Mike Tyson says: "everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

• Advertisement

I picked this game up today. Literally haven't played a SF game (or any fighter) in about 15 years. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the purported depth of the gameplay on offer here. Any advice on how to crack open the gameplay, or is it just a case of putting in the hard, long hours? As Mike Tyson says: "everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

The usual perceived wisdom to SF4 is to pick Ryu, and then initially forget the urge to learn combos :D

There's several concepts you want to get down, but basically, there's two parts to the game; Neutral (when both people are standing) and pressure (When one person is knocked down, or trapped in a corner, or otherwise under attack). Nearly everything to learn in SF comes down to understanding how it fits in to one of these two positions.

So in neutral, generally, you need to understand footsies, anti airs, and zoning.
    Footsies is a huge topic in and of itself, but generally it comes down to controlling your opponent by pressing your normal buttons, and stopping or avoiding him doing the same.
    If you watch good Ryu players, you will see them pressing crouching medium kick (cr mk for short) when the opponent closes to under half a screen. This is the Ryu saying “if you come any closer, you will get hit”. You want your opponent to get hit, but also, if they’re too scared to come closer, you can start zoning or anti airing them…
    Speaking of which, anti airs. In SF, when you’re new, the temptation is to jump. The rule we tend to tell people is “don’t jump”. Jumping is the most offensive posture one can take in SF so new people love doing it. It leaves you prone to anti airing though, so you’re vulnerable. The risk reward ratio is not great. Of course, if you get good enough, you’ll start understanding the really GOOD times to jump when your opponent won’t- or sometimes even can’t- stop it. So, with Ryu, how do you stop it?

Ryu has two great anti air options: crouching hard punch (cr hp) and medium punch dp (dragon punch- forward, down, down forward + medium punch). This is a special move with invincible start up, which means it’ll ignore an opponent’s jumping attack and blast through it.

So you’re playing footsies now, throwing out your cr mk, and your opponent gets frustrated and jumps. SHORYUKEN! He lands on his back so he backs off, frustrated. What now?

Now you start zoning. Ryu has a fast, high damage projectile move, the hadoken or fireball (down, down forward, forward + hp). With your opponent at over half screen, it’s a good idea to throw some of these to keep him under pressure. A good projectile game will control all the horizontal space on the screen, wear him down mentally, take his life, and force him to take a risk (long as he’s not better than you at it) :) So sooner or later, with a good zoning game, he’ll try to dash in (to your medium kick) or jump (SHORYUKEN!)

What I’ve outlined above is the basics of a defensive game, which is generally far easier imo to play as a new person. Of course, as important as being able to do the above is to know when it is being done to you.

This all takes time to learn, so don’t get disheartened. And don’t worry about losing over and over, I was playing with one of the guys here and he took 6 wins over me before I could take one. But that one was MAD rewarding when I got it because I knew I’d worked for it. That’s the joy of SF.

The usual perceived wisdom to SF4 is to pick Ryu, and then initially forget the urge to learn combos :D

There's several concepts you want to get down, but basically, there's two parts to the game; Neutral (when both people are standing) and pressure (When one person is knocked down, or trapped in a corner, or otherwise under attack). Nearly everything to learn in SF comes down to understanding how it fits in to one of these two positions.

So in neutral, generally, you need to understand footsies, anti airs, and zoning.
    Footsies is a huge topic in and of itself, but generally it comes down to controlling your opponent by pressing your normal buttons, and stopping or avoiding him doing the same.
    If you watch good Ryu players, you will see them pressing crouching medium kick (cr mk for short) when the opponent closes to under half a screen. This is the Ryu saying “if you come any closer, you will get hit”. You want your opponent to get hit, but also, if they’re too scared to come closer, you can start zoning or anti airing them…
    Speaking of which, anti airs. In SF, when you’re new, the temptation is to jump. The rule we tend to tell people is “don’t jump”. Jumping is the most offensive posture one can take in SF so new people love doing it. It leaves you prone to anti airing though, so you’re vulnerable. The risk reward ratio is not great. Of course, if you get good enough, you’ll start understanding the really GOOD times to jump when your opponent won’t- or sometimes even can’t- stop it. So, with Ryu, how do you stop it?

Ryu has two great anti air options: crouching hard punch (cr hp) and medium punch dp (dragon punch- forward, down, down forward + medium punch). This is a special move with invincible start up, which means it’ll ignore an opponent’s jumping attack and blast through it.

So you’re playing footsies now, throwing out your cr mk, and your opponent gets frustrated and jumps. SHORYUKEN! He lands on his back so he backs off, frustrated. What now?

Now you start zoning. Ryu has a fast, high damage projectile move, the hadoken or fireball (down, down forward, forward + hp). With your opponent at over half screen, it’s a good idea to throw some of these to keep him under pressure. A good projectile game will control all the horizontal space on the screen, wear him down mentally, take his life, and force him to take a risk (long as he’s not better than you at it) :) So sooner or later, with a good zoning game, he’ll try to dash in (to your medium kick) or jump (SHORYUKEN!)

What I’ve outlined above is the basics of a defensive game, which is generally far easier imo to play as a new person. Of course, as important as being able to do the above is to know when it is being done to you.

This all takes time to learn, so don’t get disheartened. And don’t worry about losing over and over, I was playing with one of the guys here and he took 6 wins over me before I could take one. But that one was MAD rewarding when I got it because I knew I’d worked for it. That’s the joy of SF.

That's great advice and exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks! I already learned a hard lesson about being anti-aired. I was getting a bit of joy with Dhalsim's spins, but then Balrog started to smash me up with uppercuts. I had to switch to plan B very quickly!

I used to enjoy SF back in the day but I never took it very seriously. However, I've been reading through the Edge magazine archive recently and it's so interesting to hear someone breaking down the various sub-systems of a good fighter. Their recent review of Mortal Kombat X being a good example. There seems to be huge depth on offer these days, particularly in SF, and I'd love to be able to break in and understand the game in that way. There's something so pure about SF. It's always struck me as the ultimate video game.

One other question: do people generally stick with one or two characters and try to learn them in-depth, or is trying out loads of characters a better way of learning the game? I mean, I hope not everyone picks Ryu all the time!

One other question: do people generally stick with one or two characters and try to learn them in-depth, or is trying out loads of characters a better way of learning the game? I mean, I hope not everyone picks Ryu all the time!

It depends on the person! Generally ryu is considered the best to start with, but your strengths will eventually start attracting you to the right character (for example, I play mainly guile, but also play a bit of boxer and ryu, and am starting to enjoy some other chars too).

Some people like building up a whole repetoire of characters to deal with whatever match ups they may face; some like to optimise one character as hard as they can. There's no real right or wrong opinion on this tbh, although if you want to be winning tournaments, you should focus on the best chars more so than the lower tiers.

It depends on the person! Generally ryu is considered the best to start with, but your strengths will eventually start attracting you to the right character (for example, I play mainly guile, but also play a bit of boxer and ryu, and am starting to enjoy some other chars too).

Some people like building up a whole repetoire of characters to deal with whatever match ups they may face; some like to optimise one character as hard as they can. There's no real right or wrong opinion on this tbh, although if you want to be winning tournaments, you should focus on the best chars more so than the lower tiers.

Great. I guess I'll just jump in and enjoy. Try to find a rhythm from there. I'm certainly not planning on breaking into the tournament scene any time soon!

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Dhalsim is probably the hardest character to play in SF4.
    Ryu, Balrog and Cody are good beginner characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Flashdan

This might help: SFV FUNDAMENTALS w/ WWE'S XAVIER WOODS! Ep. 1 - The Beta Adventures of Gootecks & Mike Ross.

Fundamentals still apply and a nice insight to pro players minds.

Just for fun: Maximilian has some great matches in all fighting games. Boss Rages are great. Search for Maximilian Dood

Sorry, can't post links as I am a new user.

Dan

Viper's voice actress is a guest at Eirtakon! (Carl Clover too)

https://twitter.com/MichelleRuffvo1/status/628324793796968448

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

And Sakura in the Alpha/Generations movie :O as well as Jill Valentine

Sick scene @ 00:30

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Does anyone get rage mail in this any more?

Beat a 10,000BP Hugo with my ~600BP Vega including a perfect and got nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Does anyone get rage mail in this any more?

Beat a 10,000BP Hugo with my ~600BP Vega including a perfect and got nothing.

https://usercontent.irccloud-cdn.com/file/N6g2AKvp/Screenshot_2015-08-10-13-29-56.png

Advertisement