Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Suggested tools to go in my zombie murder bag

• 14-04-2015 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Hi All,

I was hoping to get some suggestions for tools to go in my zombie murder bag.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Existentialist

Knives... and stabbing weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Baseball Bat
    Hatchet
    Crowbar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Swiss army knife/ leatherman
    Matches/lighter
    waterbottle
    towel
    socks, tshirt, hat
    Duct tape
    wetwipes
    paper towels
    condiments- salt, pepper, ketchup.....
    Basic first aid kit

these are the basics of a starter kit, you can add more as you think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

A solar charger for your phone. Now I realise the network will go down at some point but modern phones, as we know, are much more than phones. Handy to have a camera, torch, radio,games device that you can use. And if/when networks come up, you'll be ready.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Survivor - Zombies have breached the front gate!!
    Micky Dolenz - Hang on, i'm just about to get a Color Bomb Special Candy Combo in Candy Crush!!

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Existentialist

In the end, that Color Bomb saved us all.
    Thank god for Micky.

Heh. Nothing like a bit o candy crush after a crushing a few Zeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

water cleaning tablets. Lots and lots of water cleaning tablets. You can find knives and crowbars and whatever else you need for basic survival anywhere but clean safe drinking water, having that will increase your chances of survival more than anything else.

Second would be general antibiotics in pill form.

These are both things that you don't need to bring with you. You can just hide them and know where they are. Life on the run is constant change. You will lose bags, you will lose and break weapons but these little pills, they are lifesavers and they are currency.

how-to-build-a-homemade-water-filter

Learning how to make a water filter would be better than relying on a finite supply of purification tablets, it also rovides the means to manufacture a tradeable commodity

antibiotics should be part of your first aid kit,along with painkillers, disinfectant and anti inflammatories

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Antiseptics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    how-to-build-a-homemade-water-filter

Learning how to make a water filter would be better than relying on a finite supply of purification tablets, it also rovides the means to manufacture a tradeable commodity

antibiotics should be part of your first aid kit,along with painkillers, disinfectant and anti inflammatories
    ScumLord wrote: »
    Antiseptics.

Bottle of Dettol, every house has one!

Bottle of Dettol, every house has one!
    I'm more of a TCP man myself, but dettol should be widely available.

I suppose we should be thinking about how to make antiseptics in the long term. I know you can make an antibacterial from coal, I think it needs to be done in a pressure cooker, I think it separates the gas from the coal tar and the tar is antibacterial.

The mold that grows on bread is anti bacterial too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

Survival kit or just zombie killing weapons/protection?

Barbed wire for some protection when sleeping rough (might be hard to carry around tho) rope, a tent, small pot for boiling/frying, small containers to store food.

This sounds more like I'm planing for a camping trip ;)

Saralee4 wrote: »
    Survival kit or just zombie killing weapons/protection?

Barbed wire for some protection when sleeping rough (might be hard to carry around tho) rope, a tent, small pot for boiling/frying, small containers to store food.

This sounds more like I'm planing for a camping trip ;)

Thats entirely it Sara, a very long camping trip.

I find that a lot of people fixate on weapons without considering the other essentials.

you are spot on with your other inclusions, but the barbed wire would be rather unwieldy, as you would need substantial quantities for it to be effective.

Now Weapons, thats a different story, I suppose it all comes down to preference and availability.

i will be sticking primarily to my favourite axe and hatchet, but should i find an effective spear/pike that might change

Watching Skallagrims channel on youtube (it's an ancient weapons nerd fest) I think the spear is probably the best weapon to fall back on. You'll need to make one, I don't know that a point at the end of a shovel handle would be good enough, it could do with being a bit longer.

He's right, people talk about swords all the time in these forums, but without training they are a more of a hazzard to the wielder.

i would like to get myself a proper bearded axe, but i am fairly handy with a regular felling axe.

Spears are excellent, and lets not forget that pointy sticks are what put us at the top of the food chain

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Spears are excellent, and lets not forget that pointy sticks are what put us at the top of the food chain
    It's a crazy thought, even if you took away all human technology and we were left with just pointy sticks we'd still be the most dangerous animal on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 rookman

If they are the slow zombies i think water and food and a weapon to defend myself/stores against other people.The Russian army shovel is a good multi purpose weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

a must in my bag are:

lockpick
    Leatherman
    crowbar
    machete

• Advertisement

a must in my bag are:

lockpick
    crowbar
    I don't think it would be necessary to have both, the crowbar can do the job of the lockpick. A lock pick is quiet and doesn't leave much of a trace so people wouldn't know the door had been opened. For the most part it won't matter about being quiet (I don't think it'll be like the walking dead were zombies spawn every time a loud noise is made) and it'll be quicker to break whatever you need opened.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't think it would be necessary to have both, the crowbar can do the job of the lockpick. A lock pick is quiet and doesn't leave much of a trace so people wouldn't know the door had been opened. For the most part it won't matter about being quiet (I don't think it'll be like the walking dead were zombies spawn every time a loud noise is made) and it'll be quicker to break whatever you need opened.

Unless of course you are breaking into a place where living people inhibit.

I was thinking that the advantage of the lockpic over the crowbar is that it leaves you with a functional lock after you open the door, makes securing the building that little bit easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

came across this, Lifestraw - might come in handy! if you were doomsday prepper, you'd probably get one of these for your bag.

LifeStraw is a water filter designed to be used by one person to filter water so that they may safely drink it. It filters a maximum of 1000 litres of water, enough for one person for one year. It removes almost all of waterborne bacteria and parasites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LifeStraw

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

20150515_194948_zpsk34shigd.jpg

20140309_140253_zps38644c02.jpg

20131017_171015_zps6e902e7c.jpg

20130817_164640_zps17063902.jpg

20130817_164025_zps7898ecc1.jpg

boysDad.jpg

DSC00129.jpg

DSCF1528.jpg

DSCF1525.jpg

DSCF1523.jpg

DSCF0011-1.jpg

DSCF1501.jpg

DSCF1512.jpg

DSC00307.jpg

DSCF1370.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

lol i know where i'm going so :)

20150515_194948_zpsk34shigd.jpg

20140309_140253_zps38644c02.jpg

20131017_171015_zps6e902e7c.jpg

20130817_164640_zps17063902.jpg

20130817_164025_zps7898ecc1.jpg

boysDad.jpg

DSC00129.jpg

DSCF1528.jpg

DSCF1525.jpg

DSCF1523.jpg

DSCF0011-1.jpg

DSCF1501.jpg

DSCF1512.jpg

DSC00307.jpg

DSCF1370.jpg

Yupp, that should cover it.

I'd still fancy a spear of some sort, they ruled the battlefield until gunpowder became common.
    If we go back to even black powder my rifles will be useless, the Mongolian horse-bow and a spear/sword/hawk/knife combo will always be useful.

Depending in the calibre the rifle may not be totally useless

• Advertisement

.270, .220Swift and a .22 rimfire, I fncy my chances with a decent spear over a rifle with no ammo ( and no bayonet)

Advertisement