Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Panel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

Its simple really, there are less cases being registered because there are less gardai on the streets to arrest people for PO offences, larceny, assault, car theft and so on. Crime is on the rise but the numbers being arrested or charged is declining simply because they are not being caught.
    For example, my neighbours car window was smashed in recently, it took over an hour for the Gardai to arrive, they are very very busy at the moment so priority is the order of the day.
    Speak to any supermarket security guard and he /she will tell you that they are up the walls now, shoplifting is rampant but it takes the Gardai ages to get to these calls because they are sooo busy. Majority of non serious offences don't even make it to court. No where to put people if they are convicted. Prisons have been operating a revolving door policy for the past few years because of chronic overcrowding. It's sooo bad now that convicted murderers are almost guaranteed early release after a few years.
    Take a look at a website called IPRT.ie to see whats happining in our shambles of a criminal justice system. Our system is so outdated that the EU has given the Irish Government their final warning to improve the system or face massive fines, which the Irish taxpayer will have to cough up.It's pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 limboninja

C-J wrote: »
    Oh i definitely agree with this, but the majority of the stations closing that I know in my vicinity are very easily serviced by and very close to other larger better resourced stations or would have been serviced by one garda for a few hrs to do passports etc so closing it doesnt really make much of a difference. Sorry I tend to bring alcohol and drug addiction into most conversations as its my sphere of interest, but I do believe it is the basis of a lot of garda work

I definitively agree that it is the basis of a lot of Garda work but I think that its going to be public outrage at not being able to contact a Garda station when needed that may help us getting down to Templemore sooner rather then later! (fingers crossed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

Ya you're right! And from what i've seen, the situation has changed dramatically since the imposition of the ban. In 09 people on the street had little or no knowledge of garda numbers, processes etc or even that there was a moratorium in place but the past 2+ years have brought with them a more sympathetic view of ags, more understanding and public outrage at the lack of resources. All of this is working in our favour. Anybody that I explain my situation to has an opinion to offer whereas two years ago i would've gotten an 'oh . . . Right'! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

Was talking to a friend the weekend who is based in a small station, and things are so bad now he was told to start switching off the lights in the station when he is going out on a call.

I've had the same reaction from people....they are amazed that they have recruited Army members ahead of AGS.......which is totally outrageous if were all honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

limboninja wrote: »
    I've had the same reaction from people....they are amazed that they have recruited Army members ahead of AGS.......which is totally outrageous if were all honest.

there could be a manpower agreement written somewhere meaning they must keep staffing levels above a threshold

i think the prison service have something similar

open to correction though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

kojack wrote: »
    Was talking to a friend the weekend who is based in a small station, and things are so bad now he was told to start switching off the lights in the station when he is going out on a call.

Not trying to be smart here, but I don't see the problem with turning off a few lights if there not needed. In my company which is Tesco , if all the stores turned off all unnecessary lighting, I would honestly say they would save millions a year. Or even if they just turned off the tills that are not used at night they would save millions.

The wasted use of energy from company's just leaving things on stand by or even just on full power when there closed amazes me. With the price of energy sky high at the moment, for less than a minutes work in turning the equipment off or that light off, the savings can be massive on a yearly basis.

with the level of retirements in the public service and noone to take their places its a case of can the last one out turn off the lights!

msg11 wrote: »
    Not trying to be smart here, but I don't see the problem with turning off a few lights if there not needed. In my company which is Tesco , if all the stores turned off all unnecessary lighting, I would honestly say they would save millions a year. Or even if they just turned off the tills that are not used at night they would save millions.

The wasted use of energy from company's just leaving things on stand by or even just on full power when there closed amazes me. With the price of energy sky high at the moment, for less than a minutes work in turning the equipment off or that light off, the savings can be massive on a yearly basis.

What happens if he arrests someone? He has to walk them through the station in the dark, shur health and safety would have a field day. Anyway that was only one of many tales he was telling me

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

Dude, i think he is allowed turn the light back on once he gets back to the station:D

It makes sense though, there's no point in wasting electricity needlessly. Whose money is being wasted but the taxpayers.

• Advertisement

with the level of retirements in the public service and noone to take their places its a case of can the last one out turn off the lights!

That's exactly the story CJ....wish they would just see the light and do what is needed and just recruit gardai now rather than just bury heads in the sand and wait until the situation gets too bad....

I heard on local radio today that the mayor of roscommon is trying to organise a petition to protest against the closure of garda stations, and to bring public attention to the effect that these cutbacks will have on the public. Only heard it briefly i'll look up the website later!

Sounds like the mayor of roscommon is just trying to make a name for himself tbh. Be good publicity though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭FGR

The thing is that ever since before the General Election the spotlight has predominantly been on Health and Education. Law and Order are far down on the list of priorities even though it's essential.

Like the two gardaí who got rammed by a drunk driver. The media doesn't really care.

Shame, too. Like everything else in this country it will be too late before anything's done.

Just came across this online...I'm sure most people will have heard it but I said id post it anyways.....

http://www.gra.cc/23-11-11_Damien_McCarthy__Newstalk_106-108fm_Media_Player2.mp3

Anyone see the piece in the Sunday World today? Just 2 armed detectives on duty in Dublin from 2-8am and also about other cutbacks within the force

Anyone watch prime time about moratorium? Numbers by february aren't final but '9000 expected to leave with 3000 backfilled', 'something needs to be done by march', guards new rosters for first april (ironically), also talking about needing to have more guards. Incremental pay suggested to be scrapped with performance related pay introduced across the board. Had it recorded so just went back over it there for the main points!

Anyone watch prime time about moratorium? Numbers by february aren't final but '9000 expected to leave with 3000 backfilled', 'something needs to be done by march', guards new rosters for first april (ironically), also talking about needing to have more guards. Incremental pay suggested to be scrapped with performance related pay introduced across the board. Had it recorded so just went back over it there for the main points!

For Everyone....... http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1127768

Reference mentioned by C-J can be seen at "20min 40secs"

Thanks mate! My ears tend to prick up when i hear any mention of the moratorium in any context. Bring on 2012 guys!

Anyone want to tempt fate by saying it..............................?!? hahaha

• Advertisement

2012 will definitely be the year that my Holy Communion Prize bonds give me a yield!!

hahaha brilliant!!

Happy Christmas and new years fellow panellers and gardai of the future. Here's hoping its a fruitful year . Chin chin!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Abraham

A lot of this stuff on here reads like Jedward speak. Very jumpy juvenile stuff. Wonder if they are contributors? I have my suspicions but I'm afraid to nominate. Anybody know if true ?

To be fair, I cant really see Jedward being on the panel. Or sitting still in the interview. Or flattening down their gruaig with the cap. Or resisting the desire to add sequins to their uniform

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Abraham

To be fair, I cant really see Jedward being on the panel. Or sitting still in the interview. Or flattening down their gruaig with the cap. Or resisting the desire to add sequins to their uniform

Fair enough but they might be undercover and don't wear uniforms.
    Dere wud be no sus on dem being da fuzz, so dey wud make grate cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Abraham wrote: »
    Fair enough but they might be undercover and don't wear uniforms.
    Dere wud be no sus on dem being da fuzz, so dey wud make grate cops.

If your out to troll then please do it somewhere else......it won't end well for you....

Road Safety Authority blames high number of road deaths so far over the christmas period directly on the cutbacks to the garda traffic corp. Source: TV3 News 5.30pm today.

Its sad that the cut backs in garda numbers are having such harsh consequences on the lives of families around the country.

Airport gardai to be redeployed to front line duties and replaced with civilians?! Alan shatter is really making a total mockery of this. Its now a case of National security!! And as for the new traffic offences to be introduced, every single garda i know is outraged. I appreciate the idea but where are the gardai to enforce these?? I did a hell of a lot of driving over the christmas and didn't meet a single garda. The lunatics are running the asylum!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

I just heard that apparently the new roster has been pushed back to April because it was designed with 14000 Gardai but with all the cuts the roster system cant run so it needs another adjustment!! has anybody else heard this????
    Also its all well and good bringing in all the new points but who is going to enforce them???
    I find it a bit bizarre that some very senior Gardai are defending the Government, they must be hoping for a promotion in the future so staying in the Ministers good books.

Advertisement