Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sending a bike via intercity train?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

foggy_lad wrote: »
    There is just not enough potential customers outside of Dublin who would use the service at the cost of it, I know of one company in Cork who used it for pallets of soap and detergents but this was crippling their business because the cost was increasing every few months and it used to take several weeks for delivery from the time an order was placed, ok if you can do business like that but not many can.

The issue of double handling also greatly increases costs for such a small operation, goods were collected or delivered to a local depot by truck and then had to wait for the next goods train going to Dublin where they were put onto another train for the depot nearest their destination which could then involve another truck journey.

most couriers have agents in even the smallest towns who will collect and deliver to Dublin for onward delivery to the destination, the couriers of today have far better logistical operations than fastrack.

as for the wages and bonuses, well those same staff are mostly still employed at the same rates doing the gardening and other menial tasks in many stations around the country because the company decided it would be cheaper to keep them on the books than make them redundant and fight the unions. That is just inefficient.[/QU

Guessing or do you know for fact Foggy?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    There is just not enough potential customers outside of Dublin who would use the service at the cost of it, I know of one company in Cork who used it for pallets of soap and detergents but this was crippling their business because the cost was increasing every few months and it used to take several weeks for delivery from the time an order was placed, ok if you can do business like that but not many can.

The issue of double handling also greatly increases costs for such a small operation, goods were collected or delivered to a local depot by truck and then had to wait for the next goods train going to Dublin where they were put onto another train for the depot nearest their destination which could then involve another truck journey.

most couriers have agents in even the smallest towns who will collect and deliver to Dublin for onward delivery to the destination, the couriers of today have far better logistical operations than fastrack.

as for the wages and bonuses, well those same staff are mostly still employed at the same rates doing the gardening and other menial tasks in many stations around the country because the company decided it would be cheaper to keep them on the books than make them redundant and fight the unions. That is just inefficient.[/QU

Hilly. We've been here before. Some were redeployed and some got a pay off. Some even stayed and got the best of both. You don't work for IE so please stop claiming to know it all and no I won't be PMing you either with names of former Fastrack staff so you can check it all out.

That said, it was very sad to see such a great service being abandoned. Massive potential. Lets not forget that jobs were lost outside of IE after it was buried.

Asking if he's guessing in his post or knows it as fact is not claiming to know it all.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Asking if he's guessing in his post or knows it as fact is not claiming to know it all.

We already established that his post referred to sundries traffic that was killed off eons ago. Fastrack was very different.

I was referring to the part you highlighted. There is some very muddy water in relation to that. Furthermore, that opinion can be extended to many other parts of the company. I'd love to see them succeed but its fairly rotten, in how they have to deal with cut backs. A culture exists that hasn't changed very much since by gone days.

as for the wages and bonuses, well those same staff are mostly still employed at the same rates doing the gardening and other menial tasks in many stations around the country because the company decided it would be cheaper to keep them on the books than make them redundant and fight the unions. That is just inefficient.
    Grandeeod wrote: »
    We already established that his post referred to sundries traffic that was killed off eons ago. Fastrack was very different.

I was referring to the part you highlighted. There is some very muddy water in relation to that. Furthermore, that opinion can be extended to many other parts of the company. I'd love to see them succeed but its fairly rotten, in how they have to deal with cut backs. A culture exists that hasn't changed very much since by gone days.

Now you have lost me. This is getting a bit strange.

• Advertisement

Foggy said this and you highlighted it:
    as for the wages and bonuses, well those same staff are mostly still employed at the same rates doing the gardening and other menial tasks in many stations around the country because the company decided it would be cheaper to keep them on the books than make them redundant and fight the unions. That is just inefficient

You said this:

I replied. Its simple.

as for the wages and bonuses, well those same staff are mostly still employed at the same rates doing the gardening and other menial tasks in many stations around the country because the company decided it would be cheaper to keep them on the books than make them redundant and fight the unions. That is just inefficient.
    Grandeeod wrote: »
    Foggy said this and you highlighted it:

You said this:

I replied. Its simple.

Im aware of what i posted and replied to but thanks for reminding me anyway.

Advertisement