Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert Predictions Thread 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I doubt that the first point would get an SRS tbh, you'll need to look up something else, and your two points about Henry the Navigator could (depending on marking etc.) be taken as one. So try find another two points, there should be plenty but that was always one of my least favourite sections so I can't be of much help content-wise.

If you get another two points, flesh each point out into a few paragraphs, it should be fine. I, however, have never been a correcter. Spurious...? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭IceCreamGirl

my teacher gave me the marking scheme for the mocks and those were the answers o.O

an account for:
    The War of Independence, 1919-1921

Martial law
    -the British responded to the escalating violence in ireland with increasing use of force - reluctant to reploy the regular British Army in greater numbers, they set up two paramilitary police units to aid the RIC - the 'Black and Tans', mainly ex-British soldiers demobilised after World War I and the 'Auxiliaries', consisting of former British army officers

-both groups rapidly gained a reputation for ill-discipline and mistreatment of the local civilian population and they did more harm to the British government's moral authority in Ireland than any other group - in response to IRA actions, they burned and sacked numerous small towns throughout Ireland

-in August 1920, the British set up military courts of enquiry to cover the whole population and empowered the courts to use the death penalty and internment wihout trial

^
    would that be too much?

oh. and yeah the portuguese did lead the way in the age of exploration.
    it began in the 15th century when they drove the muslims out of their country
    then they attacked muslim strongholds in Africa and heard about gold mines further south

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Don't take the mocks or how they are marked as anything to help you for the real thing.
    The purpose of the mocks is to make lots of money for a couple of companies.
    They have no interest whatsoever in predicting what might come up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Lor1963

In my mocks I wrote a page and a half on Wolf Tone and on a neolithic farmer.I got 16/20 for each but it was exactly what was in my book and my teacher said they should have gotten full marks???? :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Lor1963 wrote: »
    In my mocks I wrote a page and a half on Wolf Tone and on a neolithic farmer.I got 16/20 for each but it was exactly what was in my book and my teacher said they should have gotten full marks???? :confused:

You wrote way too much for a 20 mark question. However, that wouldn't have lost you marks - crappy marking by cheapskate 'mock' businesses did that.

hey spurious

do you think this is too much for an account?

Martial law
    -the British responded to the escalating violence in ireland with increasing use of force - reluctant to reploy the regular British Army in greater numbers, they set up two paramilitary police units to aid the RIC - the 'Black and Tans', mainly ex-British soldiers demobilised after World War I and the 'Auxiliaries', consisting of former British army officers

-both groups rapidly gained a reputation for ill-discipline and mistreatment of the local civilian population and they did more harm to the British government's moral authority in Ireland than any other group - in response to IRA actions, they burned and sacked numerous small towns throughout Ireland

-in August 1920, the British set up military courts of enquiry to cover the whole population and empowered the courts to use the death penalty and internment wihout trial

hey spurious

Martial law

You're not really talking about the War of Independence there?? You should probable mention major events like Bloody Sunday,MacSwiney's hunger strike and MaCurtain's murder :D Oh,and the Anglo Irish Treaty :pac:

hey spurious

Martial law

As Lor1963 said, you haven't written about the War of Independence, so it would be hard to find any SRSs in what you wrote.

This is what I mean by how important it is to answer the question asked. Your answer seems to be about something else.

The war of Independence in Ireland was...
    The people involved in both sides were....
    Some incidents in the war were....
    The results of the war were....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭paddzdaman

does anyone any idea what to write when it comes to a cold war leader ( preferly korean war )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

paddzdaman wrote: »
    does anyone any idea what to write when it comes to a cold war leader ( preferly korean war )

Never did the Korean war myself, I remember writing about JFK for the Cuban Missile Crisis though and it was fairly straightforward. Just write about the crisis, detailing his involvement. I suppose you could write about Krushchev there too but I imagine there'd be a lot less to write about him than Kennedy. Or for the Berlin Blockade, Stalin or Truman. It seems to me to be easier to write about the leaders on the democratic side.

But errr yeah, might wanna consult your book for the Korean War. Was Truman still the president at the time? If so, then him or the Korean leader...Just outline whatever the leader did and give a bit of background to the background and conclusions, referring to the leader and how he helped it come to a conclusion. It's all good.

Kinda sickened we never did the Korean War actually since I'm mildly obsessed with the little nation on the north of the peninsula. *googles*

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭OwlYouNeed

For music, I'd say Carmina Burana is most likely to turn up in set works, but has anyone got any predictions for the rest of the paper? The first half of Irish music will be a doddle but is there any Irish music essay that I should focus on?

And does anyone know what themes are likely to show up in the poetry and prose section for Irish paper 2?

Thanks in advance! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Pidge96

Grá, brón etc. usually always come up in Irish. I think my teacher was telling us last year that a collector of music, edward bunting could come up. It didn't for me, so I guess it makes it more likely on this year's paper. Sean nós performance probably won't come up as it came up in '11.

any geography predictions please other than fishing and farming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭iliketwixbars

Does anyone else here think that Bás will come up for the studied pros? (IRISH HL)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 me.gusta

Anyone have any ideas for english paper 2? Studied fiction,in particular? :]

Could you write about Dioltas An Madra Rua for greann???

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MarnieBarney

Anyone have any predictions on what theroms might come up for maths paper 2?:/

• Registered Users Posts: 45 iang198

I think bogs might come up in geography due to all the news coverage it has been getting.

• Advertisement

hey guys which letter would you recommend me to study? :D (french)

L'ecole
    Un voyage en Irlande
    Une nouvelle maison

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Elmoko

Leinsterr wrote: »
    Predictions for PEOPLE IN HISTORY ACCOUNTS?????

I went through the History exam papers people in history questions from the previous years back until 1998 and the same topic for people in history never comes up 2 years in a row but it may come up in another question.
    Last year was
    Romans (ancient civilisation outside of Ireland)
    Monk in Early Christian Ireland
    Religious Reformer
    /
    Explorer
    Person lost land in Plantation
    Leader named struggled for Irish Independence

they more and likely wont come up again.
    And in Question 6 Social Change, Irish History ans WW2 nearly always come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Elmoko

me.gusta wrote: »

Studied Play:
    Learn a character you like, one which is a villain in the play and a love or hate relationship. The only recent year something about a character hasn't come up in Studied Drama is 2007 but they asked to recommend the play which is easier.
    Learn a scene in the play as well just to be sure, usually the trial scene if doing Merchant of Venice.

Studied Fiction:
    Questions are more widespread but if you learn;
    theme of the book, character, relationship, setting and then a scene you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

I should probably emphasise that this is not a prediction as such.

IRISH ADVICE

With everyone using Subh Milis as the Irish poem for everything, I'd be worried about only learning it alone. They're bound to throw a spanner in the works somewhere, whether it be through unusable themes or by putting Subh Milis on the paper itself (unless it's been on before)

I'm just saying that learning two poems is probably a good idea.

If you look at the novel question, on the 2010 paper I think, you had to do the first option, pick a novel similar to the extract on the paper. Otherwise, all the themes couldn't be used for Dunmharu ar an Dart. (Of course you could have done another novel/short story).

My final advice is to keep studying hard in these last few days. Good luck to everyone, and it's not the end of the world. (That's this December ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 11 me.gusta

Anyone have any predictions on what theroms might come up for maths paper 2?:/
    Well my maths teacher reckons the equiangular triangles 1 and the 1 about a diagonal bisecting the area of a parallelogram. He's usually right...apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭0000879k

Well my maths teacher reckons the equiangular triangles 1 and the 1 about a diagonal bisecting the area of a parallelogram. He's usually right...apparently

My maths teacher has predicted both the theorems correctly for the last three years and this year she think The equiangular triangles one and the line through the centre of a circle, perpendicular to a chord, bisects the chord, will come up this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 TheDhoomGuy

Sections
    1)Historian&Archaeologist, 2)Early Ireland, 3)Ancient Rome, 4)Middle Ages, 5)Renaissance, 6)Exploration, 7)Reformation, 8)Plantations, 9)Revolutions, 10)Industrial Revolution, 11)Ireland 1900-2007, 12)International Relations
    13)Social History

Q1) Picture A&B: Sec 1-10, Picture C: Sec 6-13

Q2) Documents: Always on Sec 6-13

Q3) Short Questions: Just study Sec 1-10 to get full marks

Q4) People in History: i)Archaeologist at work, ii)Lord/Lady in castle
    iii) Settler received land in a plantation, iv) Leader in Revolution,
    v) Farm Labourer in Agricultural Revolution, vi) World War,
    vii) Renaissance artist, viii)Mine or factory worker in Industrial Revolution
    ix) Serf on a medieval manor, x)Knight in a castle.

Q5) Sources: Always on Sec 6-10

Q6) Long Questions: Just study 11-13. But I would prefer studying Sec 1-10 and Sec 13 (for they are always easy)

Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 17 TheDhoomGuy

One more thing:D
    Just read Revise vise or Less stress more success (if you have it) for full marks in Sec 11-12 ( Ireland 1900-2007, International relations)

thanks a mil :)
    any predictions on geography?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 MarnieBarney

Thanks for the predictions for the theorems :), I'm so not looking forward to maths paper 2 D:

Advertisement