Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Geologist reckons Ireland is Atlantis

124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

scrubber72 wrote: »
    ...Ireland cant sink......why? Cause there is a Cork at the Bottom of it.:o

That's so bad - its good! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Biggins wrote: »
    I apologise if I have annoyed you - frankly I think we are thinking a lot upon the same lines anyway.
    We could accept that part of the said above map is indicative to one region and is accurate to some extent, we should at least respect that other part of the map might also be in close approximation and detail to other places too.
    Ah no I'm not getting testy, but really even the accurate parts of the map aren't very accurate, which is also in that article I linked. He got the coast of Spain and France right but Spain is off centre entirely.

I'm particularly interested in the area of paleolithic (prehistoric) culture for two reasons - megalithic culture was centred in the west of Ireland, and the Atlantic coast extended much further out during the last ice age, also a point when civilisation was blossoming, with recoverable art, trade routes being established, and much more. The Atlantic coast is fairly unique in this regard, the Mediterranean and most other places didn't change nearly as much.

Combine this with genetic markers and you have a very interesting picture beginning to emerge - we're talking a drowned druid kingdom right here in Ireland. If those waves could talk they'd tell some stories.

There is only the barest minimum of knowledge about much of the above at the moment, but I think there were powerful and advanced (for the time) civilisations which were flooded out of existence, and as marine archaeology advances, we're going to find out some pretty surprising things I'd hope.

I don't think there was much in Antarctica at any time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Which link in particular?

I gave some quick links that touched upon some real known facts.
    Some of the links THEN above also added other stuff that is indeed out there with the faeries to say the least - however the underlying known stuff is real - and again - is only a precursor to how any of the website writers THEN takes some recognised well known data and spins it further to their various means.

* Look up the scientific data on the underlying soils and ultra clean, sub-soil fresh water found recently by the Russians alone in the last two months that has been widely reported in the worlds press.
    * Look up matters related to the Antarctic and the Piri Reis' map.
    * Study the actual real facts based on the genuine timeline of Thira - modern-day Santorin - that inspired the ancient Greek philosopher Plato to pen the original story of Atlantis nine hundred years later- ...keeping in mind that Platos in his writing (fourth century B.C). account claimed that Atlantis sunk nine thousand years earlier - way before Thira exploded.
    Again, taken literally with the world acknowledged timeline of real events as they happened - and combined with recent events by research station in the south pole, ancient clues suggest that Antarctica may, in fact, prove to be the site of the legendary Atlantis.

Recognise though that the name "Atlantis" was a name that came about by Plato as he came up with his story of a land that supposedly vanished beneath water. Using the then later Thira as a guiding indication of how such things might occur, he used the said later events as a foundation guideline for a supposed previous land which pre-existed, might have then sunk for his later story.

...And by coincidence, a previous land did exist at one stage beneath what we know now as the South Pole. These underlying facts are not in depute by serious academics the world over.

I would also suggest that you look up the National Geographic Magazine of October 1947 (a copy of which I have) which describes from page 429 to 522, goes into GREAT detail (including many photos) of the 4,000 troops used in operation "Highjump", decided in tandem with additional British troops whom set out with 13 warships alone along with additional tools and planes, to geographically map what they had discovered. The entire mission led by Rear Admiral Richard E Byrd USN. It was the fifth survey team led by the man to this very location and ordered from the highest levels of USA government at the time - and ALL this is on record.

If your going to call all the above tripe too - at least back your reason up with evidence for you to be able to do so and not just come across as some one who has not studied this very topic for decades - as I have.

There is a lot of wacko stuff being spun about this fabled "Atlantis" - when in fact if anyone REALLY bothers to check, "Atlantis" as such NEVER existed.
    It was a story made up by Plato. It was a story he drew up based about a supposed land that had previously sunk.
    The wacko stuff out there now beyond serious academic circles is generally rubbish and indeed should be laughed at.

Now taking into account that a large piece of fertile land might have existed prior to sinking and crust displacement, it's assumed again by serious people that such a people on those lands might have decided to leave from a place they eventually saw as in trouble.
    If they did leave (by boats its assessed) they would to further increase they chances of survival as a race, education and social practise, hedge their bets and go in a number of directions rather than one.
    This might later explain why certain SEPARATE world cultures share strange common language base words, precise same knowledge of the stars, similar gods, matching exact methods of precise construction, same shaped carved idols, same fundamental language vascular bases offshooted later and twisted later by ancestral interpretation, and much, much more - from places as far reaching from Easter Island, across to central America, down to South America, up into Europe, over to a number of African cultures including Egypt and beyond into Asia.

i think i'll just enjoy my Sunday and watch the snooker with a cool beer and scratch my balls if it's all the same to you.

i think i'll just enjoy my Sunday and watch the snooker with a cool beer and scratch my balls if it's all the same to you.

:D

Quite right! :pac:

Been there, done that - hope to be there again too! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ruadhri44

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Ah no I'm not getting testy, but really even the accurate parts of the map aren't very accurate, which is also in that article I linked. He got the coast of Spain and France right but Spain is off centre entirely.

I'm particularly interested in the area of paleolithic (prehistoric) culture for two reasons - megalithic culture was centred in the west of Ireland, and the Atlantic coast extended much further out during the last ice age, also a point when civilisation was blossoming, with recoverable art, trade routes being established, and much more. The Atlantic coast is fairly unique in this regard, the Mediterranean and most other places didn't change nearly as much.

Combine this with genetic markers and you have a very interesting picture beginning to emerge - we're talking a drowned druid kingdom right here in Ireland. If those waves could talk they'd tell some stories.

There is only the barest minimum of knowledge about much of the above at the moment, but I think there were powerful and advanced (for the time) civilisations which were flooded out of existence, and as marine archaeology advances, we're going to find out some pretty surprising things I'd hope.

I don't think there was much in Antarctica at any time though.

All very tempting to believe but I think most historians would agree Atlantis was infact Thera, now Santorini.

There is a problem with this ancient druid kingdom and the end of the last ice age. As far as anyone is aware human beings didn't arrive in Ireland untill well after the end of the last Ice Age. (About 8000 BC)

However I'm not entirely dissagreeing with you. There may be one glimmer of hope as regards this. The writer Graham Hancock (and yes, I know he is regarded as a bit of a wacko sometimes) did put forward a very good suggestion. Since waters rose sharply at the end of the last Ice Age about 12000 BC any evidence of any sort of early post Ice Age civilisation based on a coastal region could have been abandoned to the sea.

Infact there are rock formations under the sea of the south west of Japan discovered in the 1990s which some suggest may be human made or atleast modified by human hands including what looks like a large pyramid with smaller pyramids nearby. However this area has been very much under water for 11000 years. If and I do mean if these structures were human made or rock formations that were atleast modifed by human beings this would be evidence that there were such civilizations at the closing years of the last Ice Age.

If this is ever proved to be such a site it would therefor make it more likely that such civilizations could have existed elsewhere in the world at this period
    and were lost to the waves.

By the way rather interestingly there are pyramids also found above land several 100 miles away in Sian in China (near the Emepor's Tomb) and again further west still on the Tibetian Mongol border at a remote place called Bayan Shala Khan.

The pyramids in Sian however are not only not available to the public but the Chinese have even planted trees on them possibly in an attempt to disguise them somehow for some strange reason. (Maybe they have a military instillation of some sort near there they want to keep private.) But this does show that there are pyramids in east Asia, which deepens the mystery about the pyramid under the sea off Japan. The ones on land are man made, so could this one be more than a freak of nature?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

It's not Atlantis, it's Irelantis(.com)

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    ...I don't think there was much in Antarctica at any time though.

You might be right - its all still debatable to be sure.

Funny enough, here is a curious piece of writing/reporting.
    * http://passporttoknowledge.com/lfa/QA/geology/Fossils,Artifacts

I just throw it out there for curiosity sake - I can't testify as to its truth and accuracy. :)

Short version, it goes on about finding bones in the South Pole.

Then there is also this curious piece: http://www.rubylane.com/item/357522-1664/Ancient-B-C-Indian-Antarctica

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

ruadhri44 wrote: »
    There is a problem with this ancient druid kingdom and the end of the last ice age. As far as anyone is aware human beings didn't arrive in Ireland untill well after the end of the last Ice Age. (About 8000 BC)
    Being honest archaeologists have no clue what was going on in Europe pre or during the ice age, one of the problems with giant glaciers scraping off and redistributing all the topsoil plus subsequent enormous flooding. Nothing says kiss your civilisation goodbye like several kilometers of ice.

The megalithic civilisation directly after (during?) the ice age, centred in Ireland, however, is considerably more interesting. If a retreating empire was to fall back above the water level rises, the west of Ireland is exactly where they'd end up.
    However I'm not entirely dissagreeing with you. There may be one glimmer of hope as regards this. The writer Graham Hancock (and yes, I know he is regarded as a bit of a wacko sometimes) did put forward a very good suggestion. Since waters rose sharply at the end of the last Ice Age about 12000 BC any evidence of any sort of early post Ice Age civilisation based on a coastal region could have been abandoned to the sea.
    Bit more than Hancock.
    As the glaciers receded sea levels rose; the English Channel, Irish Sea and North Sea were land at this time, and the Black Sea a fresh-water lake. In particular the Atlantic coastline was initially far out to sea in modern terms in most areas, though the Mediterranean coastline has retreated far less, except in the north of the Adreatic and the Aegean. The rise in sea levels continued until at least 5,500 BCE, so evidence of most of the no doubt busy human activity along Europe's coasts in the Upper Paleolithic is therefore lost, though some traces are recovered by fishing boats and marine archaeology, especially from Doggerland, the lost area beneath the North Sea.
    Infact there are rock formations under the sea of the south west of Japan discovered in the 1990s which some suggest may be human made or atleast modified by human hands including what looks like a large pyramid with smaller pyramids nearby.
    Yup mentioned that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Snooker? *shivers*

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The American National Science Foundation has acknowledged that several indicators could be pointing that direction.
    These include:

* A commonly shared legend of an advanced civilization destroyed by water—as evidenced in the myth of Atlantis and the Great Flood of Genesis
    No mystery there , gradual flooding of the Black Sea.

• Advertisement

No mystery there , gradual flooding of the Black Sea.

Possibly.
    I'd be interested if so, to see whats causing that to happen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Possibly.
    I'd be interested if so, to see whats causing that to happen.
    A smaller version of the flooding of the Mediterranean a few million years ago.

Or the flooding of the North Sea at the end of the Ice Age. There were humans affected but again it was gradual and we don't have the stories, amazing when you consider that the natives in Oz had stories from twice as far back that were only lost recently.

A smaller version of the flooding of the Mediterranean a few million years ago.

Or the flooding of the North Sea at the end of the Ice Age. There were humans affected but again it was gradual and we don't have the stories, amazing when you consider that the natives in Oz had stories from twice as far back that were only lost recently.

Aye, there is a lot more we don't know than we think we do.

Advertisement