Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 SGS2 Modding Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭event

Christ there's a lot to read in this thread.
    So i have an SII over a year now. Never rooted it or anything like that, its on meteor but not on ICS.
    I wanna root it, but havent a clue how. Anyone wanna point me in the direction of a good guide and also what ROM to use?

Phone details
    Model - GT-I9100
    android 2.3.3
    Baseband version - I9100XXKE7
    Kernel version - 2.6.35.7-I9100XWKF3-CL276555 root@DELL101 #2
    Build Number - GINGERBREAD.XWKF3

Cheers all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

What's the status of MHL (HD video over usb) on cyanogenmod10 on S2? Does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Anyone else having trouble with RIL crashes? At completely random times I'll suddenly lose all signal, and if I try turning on airplane mode it gets stuck. Either way, only solution is a reboot.
    Has happened with both CM9 and CM10.
    Tried running getRIL, but even when I have a match the problem doesn't go away.

Also getting random soft boots with CM10, running a nightly from a few days ago. (The phone might be sitting in front of me and the screen never turns on - it just looks for the PIN on wake, and the up timer hasn't restarted.) On CM9 I was getting occasional hard reboots, so it is a bit of an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

event wrote: »
    Christ there's a lot to read in this thread.
    So i have an SII over a year now. Never rooted it or anything like that, its on meteor but not on ICS.
    I wanna root it, but havent a clue how. Anyone wanna point me in the direction of a good guide and also what ROM to use?

Phone details
    Model - GT-I9100
    android 2.3.3
    Baseband version - I9100XXKE7
    Kernel version - 2.6.35.7-I9100XWKF3-CL276555 root@DELL101 #2
    Build Number - GINGERBREAD.XWKF3

Cheers all

This is the guide I used. It's very well explained and easy to follow;

http://galaxys2root.com/galaxy-s2-root/how-to-root-galaxy-s2/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Anyone else having trouble with RIL crashes? At completely random times I'll suddenly lose all signal, and if I try turning on airplane mode it gets stuck. Either way, only solution is a reboot.
    Has happened with both CM9 and CM10.
    Tried running getRIL, but even when I have a match the problem doesn't go away.

Also getting random soft boots with CM10, running a nightly from a few days ago. (The phone might be sitting in front of me and the screen never turns on - it just looks for the PIN on wake, and the up timer hasn't restarted.) On CM9 I was getting occasional hard reboots, so it is a bit of an improvement.

Its been running on my phone for the past month I'd say and no issues whatsoever or reboots.
    How about a reset and reflashing?

• Advertisement

A full wipe?
    Yeah, think I'll have to try it. Did it while moving from CM9 to CM10. But worth a try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

This ROM could be cool, Samsung 4.1.2 base (so you get Project Butter, TV out and FM radio) with AOSP (AOKP coming!)
    Chameleon beta 3.0:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1847600

PrzemoF wrote: »
    What's the status of MHL (HD video over usb) on cyanogenmod10 on S2? Does it work?
    I might be wrong but I don't think it will ever fully work on CM10 based ROMs as the TV out driver is Samsung closed source, I'm on a CM10 + AOKP ROM and only videos/Youtube play through MHL, you don't see the phone screen like when I had a stock ROM, when connected you just get a black screen.

See my link above for a ROM that combines Samsung stock base (Butter + MHL + FM Radio) with AOSP looks and later CM10 or AOKP features, it's just in beta now but looks promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Tried to update to the latest nightly and now my blasted keyboard wont work :mad::(

BopNiblets wrote: »
    This ROM could be cool, Samsung 4.1.2 base (so you get Project Butter, TV out and FM radio) with AOSP (AOKP coming!)
    Chameleon beta 3.0:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1847600

I might be wrong but I don't think it will ever fully work on CM10 based ROMs as the TV out driver is Samsung closed source, I'm on a CM10 + AOKP ROM and only videos/Youtube play through MHL, you don't see the phone screen like when I had a stock ROM, when connected you just get a black screen.

See my link above for a ROM that combines Samsung stock base (Butter + MHL + FM Radio) with AOSP looks and later CM10 or AOKP features, it's just in beta now but looks promising.

how to update? had a look at the the forum but not mention..is it via odin or clockwork?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭apache

I'm wondering can anyone help me regarding my samsung galaxy s2. My hotmail account keeps resyncing and i'm getting the same old mails popping up as new notifications.
    I was advised to get the hotmail app on google play which i did. Problem now is i'm getting my emails twice as have 2 hotmail accounts now on my phone. How do i delete the hotmail system that originally came with phone? I managed to delete the icon from the home page but i can't delete it from applications as when i edit there is no minus sign to delete.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

• Advertisement

Oh when i got up this morning my old hotmail account has been unregistered. Sweet!

The icon is still in applications though. Just wondering how to delete the ones that originally came with phone that I don't use to declutter. I can only delete apps I myself downloaded by editing and deleting as they all have minus signs.

Any idea how to delete the ones that came with phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

Hey folks, is there an easy way to get the volume control buttons to skip music tracks? I'm on stock ICS rom but it's rooted.

Cheers

Blazer wrote: »
    how to update? had a look at the the forum but not mention..is it via odin or clockwork?
    Flash from CWM, not Odin.

Daith wrote: »
    Hey folks, is there an easy way to get the volume control buttons to skip music tracks? I'm on stock ICS rom but it's rooted.

Cheers

I use PowerAmp and you can configure it to do this. Not sure about the stock player though.

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Clockwork as far as I can tell, I don't see Odin mentioned, I can ask in the thread if you're not on XDA?

thanks..yeah I downloaded the latest image which is also have root enabled on it.
    I found when attempting to root under windows 8 it will load the image but the phone would only get so far and then turn off..
    ended up having to reinstall the full OS to get it back working..not sure if it's a windows 8 problem as I used the usb drivers online or that version of root weren't compatible with 4.1.2.

Daith wrote: »

Cheers
    I saw a mod for this on Xda but it seems a bit convoluted, in any case I think CM10 or AOKP roms have it as a default feature if you want to try one.
    Or you could also try Jays headset control which lets you control the player with the headset button
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.jays.headsetcontrol

Haven't done anything with my phone recently (still running a CM10 nightly from about 3 weeks ago), but just before lunch all my apps started crashing. Over and over again. Can't run anything at all.
    Tried rebooting, pulling the battery, deleting the Davlik cache, fixing permissions. Nothing working.

I'll wipe and reimage when I get home, but does anyone else have any ideas, or experienced similar?

How much space is left on the phone? Maybe it's just running out of memory?

You might install alogcat and check if there is anything interesting in the logs.

Have logcat installed - can't launch it! Just crashes!
    Plently of memory free - about 600mb.

went to unlock the phone a few minutes ago, and it rebooted and is stuck on the boot animation.

Just installed the latest CM10 nightly and it's introduced a few problems. Some apps showing as not installed, Play Store not launching at all and all of my Google contacts are gone. I wonder if I need to reinstall the Google Apps APK?

Anyway, is it possible to revert back to a previous nightly build by just installing it, or do I need to go to backup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

SuprSi wrote: »
    Just installed the latest CM10 nightly and it's introduced a few problems. Some apps showing as not installed, Play Store not launching at all and all of my Google contacts are gone. I wonder if I need to reinstall the Google Apps APK?

Anyway, is it possible to revert back to a previous nightly build by just installing it, or do I need to go to backup?

Yes if you reinstall Google Apps it should resolve your issue, this happened to me before but hasn't happened recently when upgrading to nightly builds.

I always do a nandroid backup before CM upgrades so that if anything goes wrong I can revert back. It is good practice to do this regularly anyway in case your phone gets lost/stolen so that you can restore the image onto a replacement device.

SuprSi wrote: »
    [..]

I just installed a previous version once or twice - seems to work OK.

Thanks both - I reinstalled GApps and all the other apps that were missing have reappeared, along with the App Store working and getting my contacts back, so a clean sweep it would appear! :D

I like the extra lock screen features on this build too.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

Anyone using CM10.1, I'm tempted to upgrade but was holding off until I hear it is stable.

OneWayBet wrote: »
    Anyone using CM10.1, I'm tempted to upgrade but was holding off until I hear it is stable.

That's what I just upgraded to, without realising it! Android 4.2.1. Had to reinstall GApps but it looks ok now. I'll see how it goes over the next few days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Had the same problems and installed a previous version of GApps

BE WARNED - ALL CONTACTS DISAPPEARED FROM MY PHONE ADDRESS BOOK AFTER INSTALLING CM10.1-20121218!!
    I don't know yet if that's a temporary issue or they are all gone for good (backup before upgrading!)

This happened to me, but all of my contacts are synced with Google so after reinstalling GApps and logging in, they reappeared.

apache wrote: »
    Just wondering how to delete the apps - ones that originally came with phone that I don't use to declutter. I can only delete apps I myself downloaded by editing and deleting as they all have minus signs.

Any idea how to delete the ones that came with phone?
    Bump!
    Anyone got any ideas on this please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Use Titanium Backup if the phone is rooted.
    Otherwise the answer is no.

Advertisement