Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Learning Irish/General Queries Thread.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

"Má" tends to be followed by the past or the present tense (with a séimhiú on b, c, d, f, g, m, p, s, t) and something that will/will not happen as a consequence.

Examples:
    - Má cheannaím arán, íosfaidh mé é. (If I buy bread, I will eat it)
    - Má bhuailim le mo chara, labhróidh mé léi. (If I meet my friend, I will chat with her)
    - Muna théim abhaile anois, beidh mé déanach. (If I don't go home now, I will be late)

"Dá" requires the use of the conditional tense spellings, and an urú, and outlines a would/if situation.

- Dá gceannóinn arán, d'íosfainn é. (If I were to buy bread, I would eat it)
    - Dá mbuailfinn le mo chara, labhróinn léi (If I were to meet with my friend, I would chat with her)
    - Muna rachainn abhaile anois, bheinn déanach (If I were not to go home now, I would be late)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Go raibh míle maith agat, An File!

When do you use (h)aon, amháin, ceann, céad?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

A haon - the number one. Used when counting (like in a game of Hide & Seek and you have to count to 50, or whatever)
    Aon _____ amháin - one [thing]
    Ceann amháin - one thing
    Aon _h___ - any [thing/stuff]
    An chéad _h___ - the first thing
    Céad [thing without a séimhiú] - 100 things

Do you know when to use "Ar" instead of "Ag" for "at"?, for example:

Ar scoil - At school

• Advertisement

Anybody know how to say modal verbs in Irish other than the following:

Is féidir - To be able (present) (can)
    Ní féidir - Not to be able (present) (can't)

Don't mind "would" as I know you use the Modh Coinníollach for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Tá sé ar mo chumas.......

Níl sé ar mo chumas.....

Aineoil wrote: »
    Tá sé ar mo chumas.......

Níl sé ar mo chumas.....

What...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Tá sé ar mo chumas é a dhéanamh. I can (have the ability) to do it.

Níl sé ar mo chumas é a dhéanamh. I can't (don't have the ability) to do it.

Aineoil wrote: »
    Tá sé ar mo chumas é a dhéanamh. I can (have the ability) to do it.

Níl sé ar mo chumas é a dhéanamh. I can't (don't have the ability) to do it.

I said does anybody know any other modal verbs in Irish other than the verb To be able (féidir)

• Advertisement

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I said does anybody know any other modal verbs in Irish other than the verb To be able (féidir)

Have you checked the usual resources like www.tearma.ie or www.teanglann.ie or www.potafocal.com ?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Here's something that I've never figured out. I can never seem to understand what the infinitive for verbs are, when in use in a sentence. Let me try to explain myself.

For example, in English. "I want to see him", "I like to eat". Or in French, "j'aime lire", "je peux le voir". In both these examples there is a set pattern for every verb that indicate it's infintive (to + verb in English, verb+er/ir/re in French).

But when I look up verbs in Irish I don't seem to get this. Instead, I get the root word that you conjugate, for example, déan, cuir, feic, fág, etc, yet my understanding is that you wouldn't use these in the type of sentences above. You would say "an bhfuil aon rud a dhéanamh?", or "an bhfuil aon rud a feicáil?" The only reason I know these is because I just know them, it's how I learned it.

Is there a set pattern for using the infinitive? Or do you just have to learn them along with the verb? And if so why don't dictionaries ever tell you what they are!? Hope I'm explaining myself clearly...

turnikett1 wrote: »
    Here's something that I've never figured out. I can never seem to understand what the infinitive for verbs are, when in use in a sentence. Let me try to explain myself.

For example, in English. "I want to see him", "I like to eat". Or in French, "j'aime lire", "je peux le voir". In both these examples there is a set pattern for every verb that indicate it's infintive (to + verb in English, verb+er/ir/re in French).

But when I look up verbs in Irish I don't seem to get this. Instead, I get the root word that you conjugate, for example, déan, cuir, feic, fág, etc, yet my understanding is that you wouldn't use these in the type of sentences above. You would say "an bhfuil aon rud a dhéanamh?", or "an bhfuil aon rud a feicáil?" The only reason I know these is because I just know them, it's how I learned it.

Is there a set pattern for using the infinitive? Or do you just have to learn them along with the verb? And if so why don't dictionaries ever tell you what they are!? Hope I'm explaining myself clearly...

Well of what I have seen, you can use the infinitive of a verb (ordú in this case since Irish verbs don't have infinitives). For example,

Bí ag scríobh - Be writing
    Tóg amach - Take out

However, if the verb (that you use the infinitive for in English) is not the first word of a sentence or phrase, you use the verbal noun form (without "ag" of course).

Chuaigh mé go dtí an chistin chun mo bhricfeasta a dhéanamh - I went to the kitchen to do my breakfast
    Is léir go bhfuil an téama seo le feiceáil - It is clear that this theme is to be seen
    An bhfuil cead agam dul go dtí an leithris? - Can I go to the toilet?

If you say "that" (or just infinitive) and an infinitive of a verb or a verb form without a pronoun or subject in English, in Irish, you say "a" followed by the verbal noun form of the Irish verb. Another example:

Gheall siad ticéid a cheannach don cheolchoirm eile - They promised to buy tickets for the next concert

If you say "to be" and an infinitive of a verb in English, in Irish, you say "le" followed by the verbal noun form of the Irish verb. Another example:

Bhí neart duiseanna le buaite - There were plenty of prizes to be won

I hope that this makes any sense to you?

Yes, absolutely, go raibh míle! Seems so obvious now... My ability to form sentences in Irish has suddenly improved :D I feel I'm just missing some key grammatical concepts, along with some more vocabulary, before I can be a competent Irish speaker. I have no problem understanding individual words forming a sentence when I hear Irish, it's just a matter of knowing what they all mean then being able to construct a phrase in response! I find that I underestimate my ability too. 14 years of learning does leave it's mark, however subtle.

The next step for me is clauses and conjunctions... Ie "the book that I read", "the woman in the garden who has a big arse", "the thing which is quite unnecessary", etc... If anyone wants to give me a low down feel free to :P I'm waiting on my partner to return my Teach Yourself Irish book (which I found really helpful), but until I have to find my own resources, and there really doesn't seem to be many resources for Irish grammar online...

I'm waiting on my partner to return my Teach Yourself Irish book (which I found really helpful), but until I have to find my own resources, and there really doesn't seem to be many resources for Irish grammar online...

Daltai.com might be a useful place to start. It might be a bit too simple in places, but their forum is a goldmine of useful info and advice.

I'm also a big fan of this site: http://nualeargais.ie/gnag/gramadac.htm It looks horribly dated, but the info is spot on.

Yes, absolutely, go raibh míle! Seems so obvious now... My ability to form sentences in Irish has suddenly improved :D I feel I'm just missing some key grammatical concepts, along with some more vocabulary, before I can be a competent Irish speaker. I have no problem understanding individual words forming a sentence when I hear Irish, it's just a matter of knowing what they all mean then being able to construct a phrase in response! I find that I underestimate my ability too. 14 years of learning does leave it's mark, however subtle.

The next step for me is clauses and conjunctions... Ie "the book that I read", "the woman in the garden who has a big arse", "the thing which is quite unnecessary", etc... If anyone wants to give me a low down feel free to :P I'm waiting on my partner to return my Teach Yourself Irish book (which I found really helpful), but until I have to find my own resources, and there really doesn't seem to be many resources for Irish grammar online...

I also use Nualeargais.ie as my preferred site like An File. It really helps. Here is my bang at some conjunctions / adjectives for you.

"That"

That object - An ___ sin (e.g. An leabhar sin - That book)
    That verb - Go / gur / nach / nár (depending on tense and positive / negative sentence) _____ (with eclipsis) (e.g. Go gcuireadh mé, gur scríobh tú)
    That infinitive - A ____ (verbal noun form of the verb) (e.g. A fhanacht)

"And"

Agus (e.g. Mé féin agus mo chara)

"But"

Ach (e.g. Ach, fuair mé i dtriobláid)

"However"

Áfach (e.g. Áfach, sroich mé in am)

"During"

I rith (e.g. Rinne mé staidéar an ghearrscéal 'An t-Ádh" le Pádraig Ó Conaire i rith mo chúrsa)

"Because"

Mar (e.g. Rachaidh mé go dtí an siopa mar caithfidh mé a cheannach roinnt bia)

"Don't"

Ná (déan) (e.g. Ná déan dearmad)

"Or"

Nó (e.g. Luaigh cén fáth ar mhaith leat an cluiche nó luaigh dhá pointe eolais faoin gcluiche)

"Only"

Ní... ach... (e.g. Ní raibh mé sásta ach inné) (negative clauses this is)

"Like / As" (not the verb)

Mar a (e.g. Tá sé ag sneachta inniu mar a bhí sé inné)

Are there any particular conjunctions / adjectives you like to know about?

Thank you, all these little things really help. It's amazing what even just a few hours work can do! It's all coming back to me now, all those memories of being bored out of my mind at school with the faint drone of my teacher explaining something in Irish ("how many times do I have to tell ye CAOL LE CAOL AGUS LEATHAN LE LEATHAN!?")

The conjunctions that I'd really like to know more about are those that introduce a new clause, such as whose, in which, that, etc. But from what I've learned it's simply "a+verb" (an doras a dhún sé?), correct? Or "go" in my dialect (Munster) (an leabhar go raibh i mo teach?). This changes though depending on whether it's negative or a question, correct? I actually have no idea, I'm just piecing together what comes from my non-Irish speaking brain.

Nualeargais.ie is great by the way. Very full on in terms of it's terminology for explaining grammar, but extremely valuable nonetheless. I'm learning so quick it's kind of stunned me :) If I've learned this much in a few weeks I wonder where I'll be in a few months!? Especially when I'm back in Ireland practising it with all my Gaelgeoirí friends!

Another question: Any good audio/video resources for learning Irish? There is of course TG4 and RnaG, but the former tends to have things subbed in English whereas I feel I'd learn a lot better if it was in Irish, and the latter, well, I'm simply not able to understand detailed conversation without context just yet.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kevIOI

Another new website for Irish Grammar is <snip> It's only just started up so it doesn't have everything on it yet but its got a good lot of the grammar topics with videos and what not. Unfortunately, I can't post the link because i'm newish! If anyone else more settled finds it maybe they could post the link :D

kevIOI wrote: »
    Another new website for Irish Grammar is <snip>. It's only just started up so it doesn't have everything on it yet but its got a good lot of the grammar topics with videos and what not. Unfortunately, I can't post the link because i'm newish! If anyone else more settled finds it maybe they could post the link :D

Mod note: Nice try, Kev, but signing up just to advertise your own website is against the rules here. Good luck with it, but please don't try to use this forum for free advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭NCW feen

An bhfuil difríocht ar bith idir na briathra ceap agus smaoinigh agus cad faoi braith agus mothaigh ?

• Advertisement

NCW feen wrote: »
    An bhfuil difríocht ar bith idir na briathra ceap agus smaoinigh agus cad faoi braith agus mothaigh ?

Ceap is more of a vague type of thinking.

E.g. Cheap mé go raibh tú sa teach. - I thought that you were in the house.

Smaoinigh implies in other situations of "to think" that aren't really necessarily "vague".

E.g. Smaoinigh mé ar a ainm - I thought of his name (or... Smaoinigh mé ar chleas - I thought of an idea)

^ It's very hard to explain these but this is the closest I could do.

Meanwhile, about Braith and Mothaigh.

Braith is used in situations where you feel something like "pain". Therefore, it is used transitively (i.e. with an object). It cannot be used without a mentioned object.

Mothaigh can be used with a mentioned object AND without an object.

I'm sorry if this is too confusing for you!

Update here:

Smaoinigh - To think of something
    Ceap - To think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Córas oideachais oifigiúla

Córas oideachas oifigiúla

Cheapfainn go raibh an chéad cheann ceart, ach léigh mé an píosa seo a leanas:

"The form of the genitive is not used: when two nouns in the genitive directly follow one another, to avoid a double genitive. Instead the first is lenited in the nominative and only the second is in the genitive. This is the so-called "functional genitive", the first noun is "functional" in genitive relation, but keeps the nominative form and is lenited." (Foinse)

Is there any difference between saying

Níl a fhios agam

Níl fhios agam

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Níl a fhios agam = I don't know it; I don't know about it.

Níl fhios agam = I don't know.

Little or no difference in practice.

Plus when do you say

"A" followed by a verb instead of "Go" nó "Gur"?

Thanks for that feargale, appreciate it!

When you say "Of" with a possessive pronoun in English, do you not say it in Irish? For example,

Love of my life - Grá mo shaol

^ Is this correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

When you say "Of" with a possessive pronoun in English, do you not say it in Irish? For example,

Love of my life - Grá mo shaol

^ Is this correct?

It should read "mo shaoil. The genitive case with few exceptions causes a change in the form of the noun.

"De" for of is used only in rare cases.

feargale wrote: »
    It should read "mo shaoil. The genitive case with few exceptions causes a change in the form of the noun.

"De" for of is used only in rare cases.

Oh yeah but, do you just do it as:

Noun + Possessive pronoun + Noun?

Or do you put "De" in it?

• Advertisement

Oh yeah but, do you just do it as:

Noun + Possessive pronoun + Noun?

Or do you put "De" in it?

Noun + possessive pronoun + noun in genitive case.

Advertisement