Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Going back to college.

Options
  • 27-08-2011 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭

As all the CAO results came out last week it made me reevaluate my position and want to back to college.

Basically I'm 22, on JSA with a level 8 degree under my belt. Unfortunately due the present circumstances the job I trained for no longer exists.

Would I be entitled to any government assistance if I went back to college to do another lever 7 or 8 degree?
    The option of doing a masters is not appealing since it wont make me more employable and most other postgrads require a certain level of expertise in their particular field, which I don't have.

I would be applying for college next February and I turn 23 in December of this year.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Two excerpts from the Back to Education Allowance Operational Guidelines http://www.dsfa.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/bte_all.aspx which may help answer your query - the link sets out other qualifying criteria etc. Always worth asking the BTEA person at the SW also.

1.10 Progression in education course
    The approved full-time education course must lead to a higher qualification on the National Framework of Qualifications other than that already held. It is not considered that existing graduates should have an entitlement to BTEA to pursue a course at a similar qualification level as, inter alia, this can lead to displacement of persons seeking such qualifications for the first time. Reference should be made to the National Framework of Qualifications (see appendix 3) e.g. If a person holds a Fetac level 5 qualification, they must be progressing to a level 6 qualification.

1.8.1 Postgraduate Study
    From 1 January 2003, the postgraduate option of the Back To Education Allowance is payable only to persons who wish to pursue a postgraduate course of study that leads to a Higher Diploma (H.Dip.) qualification in any discipline or to persons in pursuit of a Graduate Diploma in Education (Primary & Secondary Teaching).

Advertisement