Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stupidest Things/Assumptions You've Ever Heard About Gaming

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭johanz

Another stupid assumption ive heard is when we were watching The Weakest Link, I was able to answer a question because of something I heard in Metal Gear Solid. My father asked me how I knew so I told him. He said "Sure how can you learn stuff from games, all it is is shooting aliens and stuff
    It's funny because by playing games I learned most of my english.

But really, pc is the most powerful system. Though it might also be the most expensive one, heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

johanz wrote: »
    You later murdered the person who said that right, RIGHT!?!?

lol... and prove the theory "games make you violent"?... XD ...:p
    Kiith wrote: »
    I have to say that i'd probably try harder to avoid hitting a dog then a person in GTAV :o

Me 2 ;)
    Connavar wrote: »
    That violent video games make kids violent. With good parenting this shouldn't be the case.
    I have been playing violent games since I was around 8(goldeneye and grand theft auto were a couple of the first) and have never even been a fight in my 13 years since

I agree. I've been playing over 18 games since I first got my PS1. Same goes for movies. So I don't believe games "cause violence"
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Nope... :)

Not enough evidence yet, but there will be ;)

You should read through that abstract i linked to, which i only linked to as it was a meta analysis of multiple studies (which is why i gave it credence)

That said, we have no idea how many studies and hence sample size this was taken from.

Anybody on here with a subscription to any of these science journal sites that could pull out one of these research papers!?

Back on topic - The girlfriend thinks it is odd that i play games, just seems to see it as a waste of time, and mainly for kids, irritating, though i say the same about her horse riding :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭johanz

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Back on topic - The girlfriend thinks it is odd that i play games, just seems to see it as a waste of time, and mainly for kids, irritating, though i say the same about her horse riding :)
    Video games are entertainment. They are as useless as doing anything else that is fun

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Star_Cow

Kharn wrote: »
    The stupidest thing I hear about Gaming is that it's Anti-Social.

I approve!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

^^ this is rubbish.

Games are addictive.

Just because YOU don't KILL people, does not negate that video games can make you violent, or more violent. You may not kill or beat anyone. By your logic, only people who kill are violent...?

This is really naive and laughable.

This is just fcuking stupid.
    What about films, books and music ?
    Whats your opinion on those being a catalyst for violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭n0irin

The science doesn't back you up on this. Leave it go.

Anybody on here with a subscription to any of these science journal sites that could pull out one of these research papers!?

I recently published a review paper in Issue 2 of the International Journal of Role-Playing games if you want to see the some of the research based evidence behind a few gamer stereotypes like violence and such: "Stereotypes and Individual Differences in Role-Playing Games" http://journalofroleplaying.org/

johanz wrote: »
    1. Games make you violent.
    Yeah right, I played mortal kombat and quake when I was 8, still not killing anyone.
    Look at real sports, they get fights all the time and require police to break up.
    Only a mentally unstable will become violent after playing games. But that's not a reason to take them away for normal people.

2. Games are addictive.
    Again total bull****. If you are addicted to games, there's something wrong with you, because unlike heavy drugs, games don't cause physical addiction.

I don't think that games can actually cause somebody to be violent, the research does not back this up and every case which has claimed that games are the cause of violence or death has been thrown out of court. (again, check out that review paper for the research to back that up)

Blaming the game for a situation where someone who played a violent game and then went and attacked somebody is akin to saying that because the guys who did 9/11 trained for flying the airplanes on MS Flight Simulator, clearly Flight Sim makes people into terrorists. Correlation does not imply causation.

I do think that games can cause people to become more desensitised towards violence - but there's probably very little difference here between violent games and violent films. Also, while I'm sure that if someone had a tendency towards violence, playing a lot of very violent games could play a part in tipping the balance here, I'm skeptical that a perfectly mentally healthy person will play a violent game and decide to run out and kill somebody.

As far as addiction goes, gaming isn't necessarily a chemical addiction like drugs, but then neither is gambling and nobody disputes that people become addicted to gambling. Game addiction isn't currently listed in the DSM of Mental Disorders, but it's possible that it's only a matter of time before they bring out a new edition and include it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

n0irin wrote: »
    I recently published a review paper in Issue 2 of the International Journal of Role-Playing games if you want to see the some of the research based evidence behind a few gamer stereotypes like violence and such: "Stereotypes and Individual Differences in Role-Playing Games" http://journalofroleplaying.org/

That'd be very interesting to read :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭n0irin

RedXIV wrote: »
    That'd be very interesting to read :)

Feel free :) I won't lie, it's quite long at 14 pages, but the general gist is that in reality the majority of gamers don't fall into the stereotypical image of being anti-social teenage males, living in their parents basements. There are a bunch of other really interesting papers about games and gamers in that Journal too by people all over in a few different disciplines, I haven't got around to reading them all yet but looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Nothing specifically moronic, but the general cynicism and lack of self-awareness involved in brand loyalism i.e. Nintendo v Sega/Sony v Microsoft.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

anything jack thompson has ever said. ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Oh, and anytime Jack Tretton tries to get a dig in at Nintendo. Just sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

That you could pick up the bikes that slid alone the ground after killing the rider, in Streets Of Rage 2.

That would could force a red card in Sensible Soccer by tapping the shoot button when the ref was deciding.

That the Playstation network isn't any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That video games are a waste of time and they are no use whatsoever.

Ah, wrong! Hand-eye co-ordination is a major benefit of gaming (i believe there's a study on that).

Edit: Damn, that Penn and Teller Bull**** about violent gaming is awesome! The part where you realise yer man is a gun nut! Excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Grayditch wrote: »
    That the Playstation network isn't any good.

Why would you post that while the network is down... That's just asking for it :p

I'll echo what many others have said. The stupidest assumption I've heard is that gaming is anti-social. Check out the fighting game forum for overwhelming evidence to the contrary :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

My Dad thinks video games destroy T.V'S :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

My Dad thinks video games destroy T.V'S :rolleyes::rolleyes:

They can, it's printed in the manual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

JayEnnis wrote: »
    They can, it's printed in the manual.

What the 300 page book i got with my new 3D TV i cant find anything in that thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

The TV can suffer from screen burn. It's probably in the console manual

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Q_Ball wrote: »
    The TV can suffer from screen burn. It's probably in the console manual

Only Plasmas do and it's not very likely in newer ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

What the 300 page book i got with my new 3D TV i cant find anything in that thing

Nah the game manual

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

My dad still thinks that unplugging & replugging the AV cables will cause permanent damage to TVs, too.

And that I should not use a laptop & monitor at the same time because it'll use too much electricity -- but it's fine if I lower the brightness to 0 when he bugs me about it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    My dad still thinks that unplugging & replugging the AV cables will cause permanent damage to TVs, too.

And that I should not use a laptop & monitor at the same time because it'll use too much electricity -- but it's fine if I lower the brightness to 0 when he bugs me about it :rolleyes:

Unplugging some AV cables when on can do damage as they deliver a charge. Constant unplugging and replugging of cables can also damage the ports over time and make the connections loose.

A monitor can use nearly as much power as a laptop, so in essence you could be doubling your bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I hate when i read psn crap cause it lags . Seriously ? There is no difference between psn, xbox live or wii , it all depends on your connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 oneshotfinch

Girl at school was once outraged that her nephew was to too young to go to a disco (he was 13 if I recall correctly). When everybody else told her that he was plenty old enough she said that he still played video games and was therefore too immature...

Advertisement