Tablet pc, are they any good? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-06-2012, 10:28   #1
ancuncha

Tablet pc, are they any good?

I'm thinking of getting a tablet, but what i want to know are they any good
I'd use it for basic internet and i'd like to be able to watch movies on it

I had a netbook with widows 7 starter that you could watch movies on, if that is you don't mind watching a few seconds in a few minutes, so is android any better?

So if anyone has one could let me know and if there are any deals out there
thanks
Advertisement
24-06-2012, 12:48   #2
freestyla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancuncha View Post
I'm thinking of getting a tablet, but what i want to know are they any good
I'd use it for basic internet and i'd like to be able to watch movies on it

I had a netbook with widows 7 starter that you could watch movies on, if that is you don't mind watching a few seconds in a few minutes, so is android any better?

So if anyone has one could let me know and if there are any deals out there
thanks
Android tablets with 1.2Ghz -> processor, 1Gb DDR3 memory and N model WiFi network card are definitely more than enough for any streams and HD stuff.

There is a good online shop called smthg 'tablets world' if you google.. they deliver to Ireland too, very good customer service also.
24-06-2012, 12:52   #3
Sync

Wait until they release the Microsoft surface... will do all netbook stuff, but not be as crap as a netbook
25-06-2012, 04:44   #4
nutterguy

Send a message via MSN to nutterguy
It's not cheap but you can easily put Windows 8 on it and have tomorrows tech today: http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Samsu...UK/version.asp

Its actually really well speced for such a small machine and I have had no issues where it hasn't been powerful enough. Photo editing, Full HD video even some light gaming.
It cold boots Windows 8 in about 11 seconds! Restarts take less than 20 seconds. O.o

Having used this myself with windows 8 I can tell you that it's bloody fantastic and I really hope the Surface Pro can live up to this.
25-06-2012, 09:58   #5
ancuncha

thanks for the replies, i was thinking of staying away from windows as it tends to be resource hungry, that's why i think the netbook was poor, if i'd tried linux i'd say it'd be a lot better
Advertisement
25-06-2012, 10:07   #6
Khannie
Make your dreams happen

Android sounds like it would fulfil your needs nicely. There is an android forum where you'll get decent advice. Would you like me to move this thread there?
Thanks from:
25-06-2012, 10:09   #7
Gurgle
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancuncha View Post
I had a netbook with widows 7 starter...
i was thinking of staying away from windows as it tends to be resource hungry, that's why i think the netbook was poor
Windows 7 starter is a deliberately crippled version intended for education purposes in the 3rd world.

Dig out the old netbook and try a proper version of Win 7 (I'd recommend pro 32-bit for low-end systems), different story entirely.

Win 8 is the same thing with support for ARM processors & a new UI (Metro) for small screens. You don't really need Metro on a 10" tablet with decent resolution.

Overall, Android 3 is probably the best OS for a tablet.
26-06-2012, 09:33   #8
ancuncha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurgle View Post
Windows 7 starter is a deliberately crippled version intended for education purposes in the 3rd world.

Dig out the old netbook and try a proper version of Win 7 (I'd recommend pro 32-bit for low-end systems), different story entirely.

Win 8 is the same thing with support for ARM processors & a new UI (Metro) for small screens. You don't really need Metro on a 10" tablet with decent resolution.

Overall, Android 3 is probably the best OS for a tablet.
i thought there was something up with it, i think i'll give a tablet a try, if andriod can work well on a phone it can't be too bad

thanks guys, i'll leave it there
26-06-2012, 15:26   #9
RUCKING FETARD
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sync View Post
Wait until they release the Microsoft surface... will do all netbook stuff, but not be as crap as a netbook
As this Article says, they're gonna be selling at eye watering prices, Ipad territory (rumored). And it may not even include the Keyboard cover.

Microsoft's Surface plan means the world belongs to Android now

^^^Not hard to see why China put the condition that Android must remain free for at least 5 years in Google's Acquisition of Motorola.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-06-2012, 16:23   #10
Gurgle
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUCKING FETARD View Post
As this Article says, they're gonna be selling at eye watering prices, Ipad territory (rumored). And it may not even include the Keyboard cover.
I wouldn't be surprised if they launched at the iPad end of the price range and spend 6 month to a year skimming before they start really throwing volume at the market and cut the prices to match a mid-range Android tablet.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion