Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

upc wireless help

Options
  • 24-04-2011 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

hey lads im with upc & have the 30 meg package.

every once in while the xbox will disconnect, which is becoming a pain it can happen at least 3 times a day, my internet seems fine, tbh, just the xbox

has anyone had this issue with upc .

how did you fix the problem?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dwaegon

This actually happened to me as well a couple of times in the last week! I have the same connection btw.

I dunno what the problem is, but I was playing Oblivion, so I just ignored it.

What region are you in. I'm in Dublin 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

Dwaegon wrote: »
    This actually happened to me as well a couple of times in the last week! I have the same connection btw.

I dunno what the problem is, but I was playing Oblivion, so I just ignored it.

What region are you in. I'm in Dublin 6.

co dublin, dun laoire.

i get at best of time 21mb when i do a speed test on the router, so i dont thinks its the net, there has to be something thats causing it....

its a real pain,

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'd say the lads in the Xbox section might be able to help ya

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=522

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Had big big problems with my UPC and 360 - and only my 360. Solved it by doing a soft reset on the modem - holding in the reset button for 30 seconds and having it physically plugged in via ethernet to the 360 when I turned it back on. Logged in as normal on the 360 and then turned it off before disconecting the cable and going wireless again. Whatever it did, it worked and it's been fine the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The Cisco box's supplied with UPC are not the best. What seems to happen, is if a lot of similar Cisco box's are in range they all keep cycling wireless channels. After a while the box resets its wireless. The frequency of the disconnects is dependent on the amount of wireless networks. Only way around it I have found was to turn off the wireless on the Cisco router and get a second access point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

The Cisco box's supplied with UPC are not the best. What seems to happen, is if a lot of similar Cisco box's are in range they all keep cycling wireless channels. After a while the box resets its wireless. The frequency of the disconnects is dependent on the amount of wireless networks. Only way around it I have found was to turn off the wireless on the Cisco router and get a second access point.

cheers, im probaly better off get a decent router tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

cheers, im probaly better off get a decent router tbf.

Since the Cisco box is your cable modem you have to keep it to some degree. You can enable bridging mode if you don't have a phone and bypass everything but the cable modem(google it).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

May not be exactly what you're looking for, but if you're having any trouble with wireless, get yourself a set of homeplugs. I have 7mb imagine (the people ten feet across the road from me can get savage UPC, but no, not bloody me!), and online play was meh at the best of times. So i invested in a set of Devolo HomePlug adapters. It's like having the consoles plugged drectly into the router (game room is upstairs, router downstairs). Can't recommend them enough. I paid €100 for the 2 plugs, and well worth it. But you can ge tthe same ones cheaper on eBay for about €60 a pair.

Other than that, when i was with Eircom (ya, i was desperate), the router used to disconnect itself every now hour or so, only for a millisecond, but enough to kick me. Hardware fault with their new routers (i tried 3 of the same ones), so an engineer gave me his old router and it solved the problem.

Advertisement