Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Rent Allowance!

• 03-12-2008 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello folks,

I'm currently on the back to education allowance and headed down to my local community welfare officer today to enquire about rent allowance.
    I'm 22 now, have a dog which needs space etc etc so I'm in the middle of moving up the mountains to rent a lovely cottage for 500€/month. With 200€/week coming in, I really struggle to maintain my life: rent, food, car, etc etc.

So this person tells me that I'm not entitled to receive rent allowance as the rent limit in my area (Leitrim) is 390€/month and asks me to go barter with my landlord in order to get the rent down to 390€/month so I could qualify.

It ain't happening as I already bartered 100€ off the price so what can I do?

It doesn't make sense to me either: How can I, with 110€ more expenses, not be entitled to a helping hand from the gov, whereas a person only paying 390€/month is! Someone must have had a screw loose down in the government buildings as this sort of limit doesn't make sense. I'm only asking for 377€ in assitance - not 487€!! :mad:

I'm perfectly willing to pay the 110€ towards my own rent as well as the mandatory amount of 13€. Jesus, even if they gave me 200€ towards my rent I'd be jumping for joy but alas...

Can anyone offer any advice? Where do I legally stand? It's very hard to find good info on the net & folks at the local offices aren't too glad to help either.

Thanks, Glupage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭In$omniac

www.citizensinformation.ie

They helped me out when I needed advice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You should've done some research before you went looking for rental accomodation, what the rent supplement levels for the area are etc..

The maximum rent your landlord can put on your rent supplement form is €390 p/m. you figure out if there is a way around it!

The rent ceiling exists there for a reason, to prevent rents going out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,209 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Rent allowance is a poverty level payment for those in need. It is not there to subsidise better than normal accommodation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 glupen

Victor wrote: »
    Rent allowance is a poverty level payment for those in need. It is not there to subsidise better than normal accommodation.

Excuse me for referring to my new lodgings as "lovely"! I shall never do such a thing again!!

I was asking for advice, not judgement.

I'm paying 450€/month for a two bed house in an estate with no garden in the middle of a concrete jungle, so moving to a more suitable location to facilitate a good life for me & my dog is not too much to ask, is it?

I'm trying to get through college without giving up what I have achieved in the past & need that kind of financial assistance as I, as opposed to the many students in this country which are spoilt rotten, have no parents who can support me financially. As a matter of fact, I have no parents at all.

All I'm asking for is some finacial help from the government, and I'm certainly not asking for more than anyone else is receiving or entitled to.

So please be nice. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If they raised the rent allowance to 500, it'd be pointless as landlords woud all raise their rents to match the minimum

A quick search on www.daft.ie shows 14 places to rent in Leitrim at 400 per month and one is a cottage you'll find somewhere.

Spoiled students?
    I think you'll find many students living in digs or cramped bedsits all over the country and only a fraction get a grant and certainly no assistance to rent. You're getting a cottage all to yourself with 200 euro per week. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,850 ✭✭✭✭Stark

glupen wrote: »
    I'm paying 450€/month for a two bed house in an estate with no garden in the middle of a concrete jungle, so moving to a more suitable location to facilitate a good life for me & my dog is not too much to ask, is it?

I don't think they count dogs as dependents...

I'm not saying that they should amend the limits. And I'm aware of the fact that those limits are there for a reason.

All I'm saying is that I should not be refused the amount of 390€ because my rent exceeds that very limit. It should be my choice to pay 110€ more (out of my own pocket) to be able to sustain my lifestyle.

I mean, you'll have plenty of folks reeling in the dole on a weekly basis, plus rent allowance to pay their rent at exactly 390€ and then spending 50€ a week on drink and fags.

They choose to spend their money on that and still receive rent allowance, whereas I don't spend money on drink or fags, but on a "different luxury" instead (if you want to call it that), and I get refused.

That's not right, is it?!

Don't get me started on your average student....:eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Excuse me for referring to my new lodgings as "lovely"! I shall never do such a thing again!!

I was asking for advice, not judgement.

I don't think anyone is judging you.
    The Rental Allowance scheme is designed to put a roof over your head, period. It doesn't take into account your dog. If you had children or a partner- they would be considered dependents, and your allowance would reflect this. As it stands- you are a single person, and the €390 is the maximum that is allowed, fullstop. Its no reflection on you whatsoever- its simply the rules.

If you wish to do so, no one is stopping you. If you are seeking assistance to do so- that is an entirely different matter. Assistance is geared towards putting a roof over your head, not necessarily where you want to live, but a roof nonetheless. If you can find more suitable accommodation within your budget- brilliant- but if you cannot, unfortunately its the case that you either pay for the accommodation yourself from your own means, or stick within the prescribed criteria for the rent-allowance scheme.
    I'm trying to get through college without giving up what I have achieved in the past & need that kind of financial assistance as I, as opposed to the many students in this country which are spoilt rotten, have no parents who can support me financially. As a matter of fact, I have no parents at all.

I'm sorry to hear that you don't have any parents- most people in your position would probably be subsidized by their parents. Have you checked the other possible avenues open to you (maintenance grants etc- which are means tested for 3rd level students- but you should qualify). It may be that the rules governing the rent-allowance may be such that its more worth your while not applying for that particular scheme, but applying under other schemes instead? We have a state benefits forum here on boards- where the knowledgeable people will probably be better able to give you indications of possible grants etc that you might be entitled to apply for. Link to forum here.
    All I'm asking for is some finacial help from the government, and I'm certainly not asking for more than anyone else is receiving or entitled to.

So please be nice. ;)

As per my above comment- you don't meet the criteria for rent-allowance exceeding EUR390. Don't give up- explore other avenues (including various state benefits) for funding the rental of the property you are looking for.

It might be an idea to organise a meeting with the local community welfare officer- he/she will be best placed to explain to you what your options are.

Thanks for your matter-of-fact reply! :p

I accept the rules regarding the rent allowance, however I do not agree with them.

There are always ways around the rules but as opposed to playing tricks, finding loopholes & telling little lies here and there (which, in all fairness, a hell of a lot of folks do), why not review the system so it's fair - not just black & white for everyone.

For example: Let's say I asked my new landlord to set the rent at 390€ (and hence qualify for rent allowance) and then somehow she receives 110€ cash in hand which subsequently won't be declared for tax purposes as rental income by her, then everyone but the tax-man/government wins.

I'm saying, change the rules to allow a little bit more flexibility & we'll have ourselves a win-win situation. I'm trying to play as fairly as possible but sometimes there are no other choices for me or people in similar circumstances.

:cool:

I know and accept what you're saying. It doesn't really change the whole purpose of the scheme though- which is to put a roof over the heads of those who are incapable of housing themselves. If its simply to be a subsidy- rather than the actual price- it would be a prop which would be used by people to increase their purchasing power when renting- and in turn would only drive rent up. As it stands- it does establish a floor, but hopefully its a sufficient level to house those who need to use it. Obviously it does not give them the option of being picky with the property they are renting- but then again- it simply doesn't factor pets etc into the equation.

Its not ideal by any means- but it would be difficult to come up with another scheme that would be equally as fair to as many people as possible. As with all schemes- regardless of how you structure it, there will always be those who just fail to meet the criteria. If you have a degree of flexibility in it though- where do you draw the line?

I know its not what you want to hear- and to be honest- in an ideal world, its not what I'd be writing- all I can really suggest though is that there are other aids and supports out there that may very well better suit your own particular circumstances. Don't get hung up on the Rent-Allowance Scheme- its the most well known of the schemes, but by no means the only scheme......

Shane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

look around for 1bed house for rent 390 ,the r a scheme is designed to provide
    a flat for single people,it doesnt take account of pet accom0dation,you could get a flat in a house with a garden ,and buy a kennel,in dublin you would not get any cottage 4less than 900 per month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Fud Duddy

It must be the bad mood that this flu has me in but after reading this thread there is steam coming out my ears. As Nick Cave sings, 'people they ain't no good'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

you are moving because you want to, to as you state a better house which provides a better quality of life. Fair enough, but you can't crib and cry that this nicer house now means you do not qualify for RA.
    my first apartment when I was a student was tiny, with a galley kitchen which was not much more than a hot plate and a cupboard! it was what I could afford. In addition I didn't get a grant for college, and my parents couldn't subsidise me and I had two part time jobs. It sucked, but it was my choice to continue in education, so I had to make sacrifices. Of course I would have loved to get a dog and move to a cottage in the mountains, but I couldn't afford it and didn't expect the tax payer to help me fund it.

Cut your cloth to suit your needs - if you can't afford the cottage, don't move. Sorry to be blunt but that is life.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

get a part-time job or find somewhere cheaper to live

as someone with a mortgage to pay and a third of my company being made redundant - i have no sympathy for you and your lack of hand-outs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Have you been in touch with your local authority to see if you're eligible for a grant? It might be worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

The scheme is there for people to have a reasonable standard of housing who would otherwise be totally unable to afford it.

I'd love to rent a mansion for €5k a month and have the tax-payer stump up a handy little €390 towards it but that's not gonna happen!

I don't know what the situation is with rent allowance but there is a tax credit of (I think- it's been a while since I rented) €300 a year. Check to see if you can still claim that with rent allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

i can completely understand your frustration if you've already found a place that suits you and now you won't receive the required benefit for it. But the issue here is that the community welfare offices in your area have decided that the cut-off point for rental allowance in that area for a single person with no dependents is €390. End of. It's not personal, it's not an anti-student, anti-person without family financial support or anti-person with a dog policy.

I didn't know many students when I was in college with a car and the luxury of deciding where they lived. My early college accomodation was more akin to something you'd see in a third world country but I got evening jobs and weekend jobs and saved up to move somewhere nicer, I didn't expect the state to provide any assistance with it. Sorry if that's blunt and good luck with your course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sasher

Hi guys. I am a single mother. I'm just finished college and there are no jobs. I am looking to move out as life with my parents is getting cramped. My daughter is in school and I want to stay in the area for her sake. I live in Dublin and as we all know it is not the cheapest place to live. A one bedroomed apartment in my area costs €1000. The max rent allowance I would receive would be €826. And the social welfare expects me to find a decent two bedroomed house for €930. Now I don't see how this is even possible! For starters the cheapest accomodation I have found that isn't a bedsit that has its toilet next to the cooker is an apartment for €1000. There isnt a hope in hell of me being able to make up the rest of the rent from €826. Is there any way around this?? I went to college so that I could up my chances of getting a job to provide for my self and my daughter but when there aren't any jobs how am I supposed to get out of this welfare web?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Hello folks,

I'm currently on the back to education allowance and headed down to my local community welfare officer today to enquire about rent allowance.
    I'm 22 now, have a dog which needs space etc etc so I'm in the middle of moving up the mountains to rent a lovely cottage for 500€/month. With 200€/week coming in, I really struggle to maintain my life: rent, food, car, etc etc.

So this person tells me that I'm not entitled to receive rent allowance as the rent limit in my area (Leitrim) is 390€/month and asks me to go barter with my landlord in order to get the rent down to 390€/month so I could qualify.

It ain't happening as I already bartered 100€ off the price so what can I do?

It doesn't make sense to me either: How can I, with 110€ more expenses, not be entitled to a helping hand from the gov, whereas a person only paying 390€/month is! Someone must have had a screw loose down in the government buildings as this sort of limit doesn't make sense. I'm only asking for 377€ in assitance - not 487€!! :mad:

I'm perfectly willing to pay the 110€ towards my own rent as well as the mandatory amount of 13€. Jesus, even if they gave me 200€ towards my rent I'd be jumping for joy but alas...

Can anyone offer any advice? Where do I legally stand? It's very hard to find good info on the net & folks at the local offices aren't too glad to help either.

Thanks, Glupage.

Only thing i can advise you on is maybe get someone in to share with you? That way your rent is brought down to the standards or even get your landlord to say that he has brought it down to that much and you the rest out of your pocket.
    Good luck hope everything works out.

Sasher wrote: »
    Hi guys. I am a single mother. I'm just finished college and there are no jobs. I am looking to move out as life with my parents is getting cramped. My daughter is in school and I want to stay in the area for her sake. I live in Dublin and as we all know it is not the cheapest place to live. A one bedroomed apartment in my area costs €1000. The max rent allowance I would receive would be €826. And the social welfare expects me to find a decent two bedroomed house for €930. Now I don't see how this is even possible! For starters the cheapest accomodation I have found that isn't a bedsit that has its toilet next to the cooker is an apartment for €1000. There isnt a hope in hell of me being able to make up the rest of the rent from €826. Is there any way around this?? I went to college so that I could up my chances of getting a job to provide for my self and my daughter but when there aren't any jobs how am I supposed to get out of this welfare web?

Search for granny flats until you are on your feet,Aren't you entitled to a house with council?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

The point here is the CWO is helping you with housing. Why should you get to choose where in Dublin that is ?

Is it not enough to get a significant helping hand ? Peoples expectations over the last 10 years have got way to high.

check daft lots of 2 bed accomadation for €930 or less, if you dont like the area then thats just tough luck. When you can afford to pay for something yourself then you can have wants, why should I and the other tax payers pay for your wants? Until then stop being greedy and be greatful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I'm not saying that they should amend the limits. And I'm aware of the fact that those limits are there for a reason.

All I'm saying is that I should not be refused the amount of 390€ because my rent exceeds that very limit. It should be my choice to pay 110€ more (out of my own pocket) to be able to sustain my lifestyle.

I mean, you'll have plenty of folks reeling in the dole on a weekly basis, plus rent allowance to pay their rent at exactly 390€ and then spending 50€ a week on drink and fags.

They choose to spend their money on that and still receive rent allowance, whereas I don't spend money on drink or fags, but on a "different luxury" instead (if you want to call it that), and I get refused.

That's not right, is it?!

Don't get me started on your average student....:eek:

Tell yoiur CWO the rent is down to 390 get the grant and pay the landlord the rest yourself.

simple :)

Sasher- there are plenty of places in Dublin going for far less than you are suggesting. The headline rents on DAFT and elsewhere- are negotiating points for landlords- rather than set in stone- and any sane landlord is very much open to negotiation- it really is not their market at the moment.

What area do you have in mind? I know its not ideal, but perhaps living with your parents until you find suitable accommodation- however long that takes, may very well be what it comes to.

Rents are falling rapidly though- the figures you are quoting are not representative at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

A one bedroomed apartment in my area costs €1000.

No it doesn't. Possibly unless you're living in Ballsbridge.

There are decent 1 beds in Ranelagh going for 900. The 3 bed apartment I'm currently renting was asking 1400, after previously asking a ridiculous 1700 for 2 months - we got it for 1200.

Look at some apartments asking around 1100 to 1200 and tell them you can only offer 860euro. Check out the propertybee (http://www.property-bee.com/) plugin for firefox and you can see how long a property has been un-let on daft.ie, which can help guide you on whether there's room to negotiate.

So, don't treat the asking prices on daft as reality. With 860e a month, you'll get something decent you and your daughter can live in, in a nice area.

D3PO wrote: »
    Tell yoiur CWO the rent is down to 390 get the grant and pay the landlord the rest yourself.

simple :)

Stealing my idea :eek::mad::D

Advertisement