Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floyd Mayweather Vs Miguel Cotto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

makl wrote: »
    no worries cowzerp but what is an official link? plenty of youtube vids of previous fights all over this forum.

how long has this been in

Official meaning legal, not 1 that could get boards in trouble.
    colly10 wrote: »
    Are download links not allowed here anymore, it's bad news for boxing if thats the case. You have the option of watching on boxnation but it's terrible

If its legal it's allowed, most YouTube stuff is fine, in boxing it's mainly links at the time of the fights and soon after, promotions don't care after as nobody will pay to see week old boxing clips.

The minister who signed off the law making websites responsible for links put up is to blame-it's site wide and signed off a couple of months now.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He's stated many times on this forum over the last year or so that he believed Floyd would shade it if they fought.

If anyone's got nuts in their mouth, it's clearly you.

Yes, I did, thanks. And now I think Floyd more than shades it. That poster, insanity50, seems to have his head not only stuck up Floyd's ass, but also his own ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭colly10

insanity50 wrote: »
    Finally you took manny's nuts out of your mouth and his asshole out of your eyes long enough to take a look at the world around you.

congrats.

great to see you finally admit defeat after all these years of trumpeting little ms pacman.

In the space of about 3 posts you showed that you were unaware that Cotto was a Welterweight at the time he fought Manny.

You weren't aware that the weight limit was 145 despite it being your whole point

You called Cotto a beast at 154 despite him only weighing in on the limit once before the Mayweather fight and weighing weighing in at 152 in his previous fight (every lb is vital as you said so its clear he not a big light middle)

You believe Floyd just wanted to give the fans a war because that's what he said he was doing despite it being against his approach or mentality for his entire career

Your posts are embarassing, it's fairly clear you know little about anything other than your hero Floyd and don't even seem to know a whole lot about him. It's a bit pathetic to see you calling posters here on bias when you refer to "little miss pacman", it's clear your the most biased of the lot.

Maybe you should head off to boxingscene, you'll fit in well there

cowzerp wrote: »
    Official meaning legal, not 1 that could get boards in trouble.

If its legal it's allowed, most YouTube stuff is fine, in boxing it's mainly links at the time of the fights and soon after, promotions don't care after as nobody will pay to see week old boxing clips.

The minister who signed off the law making websites responsible for links put up is to blame-it's site wide and signed off a couple of months now.

No worries, can understand why it has to be done, hopefully everyone at this stage knows where good download links are available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I find it very difficult to marry my admiration for Floyd the great boxer with his conviction for assaulting a woman- I can't call him a person I admire- but I'm sure some of the ATGs used beat their wives- doesn't make it right.

• Advertisement

efb wrote: »
    I find it very difficult to marry my admiration for Floyd the great boxer with his conviction for assaulting a woman- I can't call him a person I admire- but I'm sure some of the ATGs used beat their wives- doesn't make it right.

I don't think anyone here would condone violence, and moreso when it's against women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

floyd speaks great. v smart

walshb wrote: »
    I don't think anyone here would condone violence, and moreso when it's against women.

I know, and apologies if it was interpreted as such- its just something that's been playing on my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

makl wrote: »
    floyd speaks great. v smart

When he's being genuine he seems fairly clever but the character he portrays to promote himself is a moron.

Suppose it's a testament to his ability to sell fights and be the heel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

Yes, I did, thanks. And now I think Floyd more than shades it. That poster, insanity50, seems to have his head not only stuck up Floyd's ass, but also his own ass.

Post reported.

Floyd said on fight night he weighed 4 lbs less than he weighed in, 147 vs. 151? How did he lose 4 lbs between weigh in and fight night, assuming he didn't deliberately lose weight? I mean, he hardly sweat trained the 30 hrs before the fight?

Floyd said on fight night he weighed 4 lbs less than he weighed in, 147 vs. 151? How did he lose 4 lbs between weigh in and fight night, assuming he didn't deliberately lose weight? I mean, he hardly sweat trained the 30 hrs before the fight?

If true it just means he probably loaded up on fluid, food etc to not give a psychological advantage by been way smaller.

could be bs though

If true it just means he probably loaded up on fluid, food etc to not give a psychological advantage by been way smaller.

could be bs though

That sound plauible alright, as does the claim being BS.

O'k Lads enough of the tit for tat's, instead of throwing individual warnings around the place this is it-let's keep it civil and get back to talking Boxing.

That's the end of it.

could be bs though

Id say it's unlikely, he looked shredded at the weigh in, he was in great condition, he didn't look as cut on the night. I'd say that if he had intended to fight at 147 he's show the fans that to prove the point rather than hide it, I don't believe he would be worried about what Cotto thinks.

Maybe he did, I'd be very surprised though

I agree, Colly. He looked quite ripped at 151, and I bet Foyd walks around at about 155-158. So, to drop back to 147 seems very odd. I don't believe him. I do see where Paul is coming from with his view.

Sidenote. I see Kirkland is looking for a match vs. Alvarez. That would be a barn burner. LA Times!

In addition, Schaefer introduced James Kirkland at the post-fight news conference, with Kirkland saying, "I would love to get that fight," versus Alvarez.

Alvarez is "interested" in fighting Kirkland, Schaefer said

I agree, Colly. He looked quite ripped at 151, and I bet Foyd walks around at about 155-158. So, to drop back to 147 seems very odd. I don't believe him. I do see where Paul is coming from with his view.

Not my view Bren, just could explain it if true, i think he's just trying to let people know he can still fight lighter tbh

Not my view Bren, just could explain it if true, i think he's just trying to let people know he can still fight lighter tbh

Yes, moreso your possible explanation. Good one too.

O'k Lads enough of the tit for tat's, instead of throwing individual warnings around the place this is it-let's keep it civil and get back to talking Boxing.

That's the end of it.

Very Mickey Vann

• Advertisement

That's the end of it.

Fair enough Paul, someone needed to step in.

For the sake of the forum and the thread i'll put my personal differences with Brendan aside.

I believe Floyd was 147 on fight night. He said before he never likes to walk around above 150 even out of training camp. Doesn't believe that cutting weight is good for the body, which is fair enough. When you're that skillful anyway you can afford to give up a few lbs. What he did to Oscar was phenomenal when you think of it. Stepping into Oscar's house, giving up about 20lbs on fight night and then delivering a masterclass. I doubt we'll ever see a fighter as special or as talented as him in our generation. Truly gifted.

A lot of people dislike Floyd but when he's gone boxing will be the worse for it. The sport needs champions like him, true superstars. Like him or hate him he always backs up his big talk. There isn't many who have the star attraction that he does. When him pac and sergio are gone (most likely in the next 24 months) the sport will truly be on its last legs.

A true warrior.

For the sake of the forum and the thread i'll put my personal differences with Brendan aside.

Not meaning to continue this, but do you know me? What personal differences do we have? This is an internet forum. You posted a post referring to me being a nuthugger, eating sour apples, and of posting with despicable bias.

I don't think Floyd is the GOAT. That is all. If this led to your post about depsicable bias, sour apples etc, sorry, but that is not my fault, and nor do I see it as us having personal differences.

I don't know you, at least not from your username and your posts directed to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭megadodge

I believe Floyd was 147 on fight night.

Well you seem to believe everything else he says, so why change now.
    Doesn't believe that cutting weight is good for the body, which is fair enough.

So he goes and cuts 4 pounds in the 24 hours preceding a major fight.

Brilliant!
    What he did to Oscar was phenomenal when you think of it. Stepping into Oscar's house, giving up about 20lbs on fight night and then delivering a masterclass.

A split decision win is a masterclass???
    And in quite a lot of people's eyes Oscar won.
    A lot of people dislike Floyd but when he's gone boxing will be the worse for it. The sport needs champions like him, true superstars. Like him or hate him he always backs up his big talk. There isn't many who have the star attraction that he does.

He'll be gone soon enough all right and I for one can't wait. His out-of-ring bs is an embarrassment to boxing and is completely boring.
    When him pac and sergio are gone (most likely in the next 24 months) the sport will truly be on its last legs.

Yaaaaawn!! Been listening to that crap for at least 30 years now. "Boxing is dead". "Boxing has no more superstars". "Boxing is nothing like the good old days". And I'll be listening to it 30 years from now please God. Same ol' same ol'.

I think with Alvarez been 21 the future of Boxing is in good hands.

At the time of pbf and dlh I thought Oscar done enough but after watching it without bias as I truly wanted dlh to win, pbf well done enough and was actually brilliant-oscars main success was clinching and hitting the body-the much smaller man controlled the fight.

Floyd is great for boxing with that said and when he goes it will be a big loss, there will be new greats though no doubt.

I think with Alvarez been 21 the future of Boxing is in good hands.

At the time of pbf and dlh I thought Oscar done enough but after watching it without bias as I truly wanted dlh to win, pbf well done enough and was actually brilliant-oscars main success was clinching and hitting the body-the much smaller man controlled the fight.

Floyd is great for boxing with that said and when he goes it will be a big loss, there will be new greats though no doubt.

I like Alvarez, tough, professional and dedicated, but his style doesn't lend to longevity. I see a slickster undoing him.

I like Alvarez, tough, professional and dedicated, but his style doesn't lend to longevity. I see a slickster undoing him.

Can't see it Bren-i honestly think he would cause Floyd major problems-he has a great jab, serious power and a granite head and speed on top of this, Only thing he's lacking for me is footwork and the other night it was certainly improved, I think it will continue to improve with the opposition been higher.

His longetivity could be an issue but that won't be for 6-7 years either way.

I think Floyd is too good for him, now, and in the near future. Too polished, slick and fast. Alvarez's hands aren't slow, but aren't quick enough to trouble Floyd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Henno30

What odds a Cotto-Maravilla match sometime in the near future?

megadodge wrote: »
    Well you seem to believe everything else he says, so why change now.

What reason has he to lie? He won the fight convincingly. Who cares what he weighed on fight night. He loaded up on water and food the day of the weigh ins so as to not give miguel a psychological advantage is the most plausible explanation rather than him lying post fight for no reason whatsoever.

So he goes and cuts 4 pounds in the 24 hours preceding a major fight.

Brilliant!

it's not cutting weight if you're just urinating/egesting it out of you. everyone's body weight can fluctuate by a few pounds in a 24 hour period depending on how much food they eat/drink.

A split decision win is a masterclass???
    And in quite a lot of people's eyes Oscar won.

The general consensus is that Floyd won convincingly and that a split decision was a joke. Oscar got lucky to win on one judge's score card.

He'll be gone soon enough all right and I for one can't wait. His out-of-ring bs is an embarrassment to boxing and is completely boring.

You say that now but who will be the PPV king. Who will enrapture the masses like Floyd does. I don't see Canelo having the same charisma charm and outgoing/outspoken personality that Floyd has. Listen, he's a polarising character and that's why everyone tunes in to watch him. Miguel Cotto is a lovely guy, but he doesn't exactly set the PPV buys alight. Marquez is a lovely guy but don't see him breaking any PPV records anytime soon. PPV boxing is Floyd Mayweather.

Yaaaaawn!! Been listening to that crap for at least 30 years now. "Boxing is dead". "Boxing has no more superstars". "Boxing is nothing like the good old days". And I'll be listening to it 30 years from now please God. Same ol' same ol'.

Unfortunately, interest in MMA has increased exponentially in the past decade while interest in boxing has waned. They're offering a more exciting product, with a wider array of superstars, the fans get to see the fights they want 95% of the time.

Boxing is a dying sport. This isn't the 1980s anymore pal. When Mayweather retires, boxing goes with him. At least in the format we know now. It's already dead in the UK. Sky don't even show the top fights anymore. They'll be getting the UFC in august and all signs are pointing to boxing going only one way. In the states MMA interest is at its highest it's ever been. Boxing only can compete with it two to three times a year (the times when mayweather and pacquiao fight.)

In future, try and educate yourself before you make yourself look so regressed. Cheers

• Advertisement

Not meaning to continue this, but do you know me? What personal differences do we have? This is an internet forum. You posted a post referring to me being a nuthugger, eating sour apples, and of posting with despicable bias.

I don't think Floyd is the GOAT. That is all. If this led to your post about depsicable bias, sour apples etc, sorry, but that is not my fault, and nor do I see it as us having personal differences.

I don't know you, at least not from your username and your posts directed to me.

Listen Brendan we can go back and forth all you like, but as per Paul's request I agreed to leave our personal issues at the door and get back to talking boxing. If you want to continue this conversation off thread you can PM me. Please don't derail the thread any further. Cheers.

Advertisement