Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you feel any guilt from eating meat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,429 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Having a lovely roast beef sandwich at the moment. Very juicy and tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Jester252 wrote: »
    and that why we have the tooth structure we have because the veggie was too weak

:confused:

Well Put
    Eating meat is how we got to where we are today. We need it to survive

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Do you have evidence that we need to survive? Are vegetarians dropping like flies around the world? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

stimpson wrote: »
    I was a vegetarian from the age of 14 up until a couple of years ago. I started eating meat again on medical advice. I guess as you get older you're less idealistic, so it doesn't really bother me. Animal welfare is still important to me, so I only buy Free range chicken and ethically raised beef. If I could get free range pork products I'd happily buy those too, but I haven't seen them on sale.
    There is such a product as free range pork but it isn't recognized in Ireland as there is no proper regulation on free-range Irish pig farming.

Macha wrote: »
    Do you have evidence that we need to survive? Are vegetarians dropping like flies around the world? No.
    How do you think we get protein from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

We can get protien from other sources than meat. Even ill admit we dont HAVE to eat meat. I eat it because i enjoy it, if i disnt like it i just wouldnt eat it. Guilt would never come into it for me

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Well, that didn't really answer my question. There are plenty of vegetarian sources of protein.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I feel a little guilt from eating meat, and even considered becoming a vegetarian. But at the end of the day, I just can't make that jump. I hate vegetables, and am very much a meat eater.

Well, that didn't really answer my question. There are plenty of vegetarian sources of protein.
    Evidence that we need it is biology. If we didn't need meat then why is it part of a human diet pool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Evidence that we need it is biology. If we didn't need meat then why is it part of a human diet pool?

A better question would be - why does it taste so good?

Than answer is because we are hard wired to go for certain aspects of food fat being one.

This argument about evolution is spurious at best though - our diet in even the last few hundred years bears absolutely no resemblance to what people in Northern Europe would have evolved to eat. Take our sugar consumption which has grown massively.

I'm not supporting the don't eat meat side of this argument but many aspects of the world would be improved by eating a hell of a lot less of it. Then so would any number of things we consume.

• Advertisement

The definition of 'need' in this context is that humans can't live without it. I think that is refuted every day by the existence of millions of vegetarians. Bananas are also part of the human diet pool but I don't think anyone would argue that we 'need' them to survive.
    I'm not supporting the don't eat meat side of this argument but many aspects of the world would be improved by eating a hell of a lot less of it. Then so would any number of things we consume.
    +1

The definition of 'need' in this context is that humans can't live without it. I think that is refuted every day by the existence of millions of vegetarians. Bananas are also part of the human diet pool but I don't think anyone would argue that we 'need' them to survive.
    The same can be said about fruit and veg.
    You won't live a healthly life but you can live without them. I don't understand this meat guily that you think we should have or how eating meat is wrong. If you look at this on a large scale vegetarians are the odd ones out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I was a vegetarian for about 15 years for purely ethical reasons. When I moved to the country and started to see actual animals in fields lambs, cows etc. it was the final straw and I stopped all meat except fish. (Maybe that made me pescatarian instead of vegetarian?) Eventually, I started eating meat (chicken, turkey, beef and pork) due to social pressures. However, I am thinking of giving it up again. I buy organic wherever possible and only eat free range eggs, but I still feel horrible about it. I have even started to feel bad about crab and lobster which were always my favourite food. Last summer I got two live lobsters straight from a fishing boat, but on the way home, guilt got to me and I drove back to the sea and set them free again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

annascott wrote: »
    I was a vegetarian for about 15 years for purely ethical reasons. When I moved to the country and started to see actual animals in fields lambs, cows etc. it was the final straw and I stopped all meat except fish. (Maybe that made me pescatarian instead of vegetarian?) Eventually, I started eating meat (chicken, turkey, beef and pork) due to social pressures. However, I am thinking of giving it up again. I buy organic wherever possible and only eat free range eggs, but I still feel horrible about it. I have even started to feel bad about crab and lobster which were always my favourite food. Last summer I got two live lobsters straight from a fishing boat, but on the way home, guilt got to me and I drove back to the sea and set them free again!

Sorry but I have to address you're reasoning here - ethical grounds?

Cows / sheep in a field - thats where the ethically raised ones live eating grass. The non-ethiclly raised ones are in a feed pen somewhere being fed corn and anti-biotics.

Chicken - raised in some of the cruelest conditions imaginable - I suspect turkeys don't get a much better deal.

Crab and Lobster - You're aware lobsters are boiled alive I assume?

The same can be said about fruit and veg.
    You won't live a healthly life but you can live without them. I don't understand this meat guily that you think we should have or how eating meat is wrong. If you look at this on a large scale vegetarians are the odd ones out.
    Are you saying that a vegetarian diet is unhealthy? Can you back that up?

And do you think that morality is decided by the majority? Vegetarians may make up the minority but that doesn't make a case for them being wrong. My basis for saying current levels of meat consumption in developed countries is wrong is because it is based on inhumane conditions for animals and is puts a huge strain on resources. Whether I'm right or not has little to do with how many people agree with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I know, I'm going to regret this, but...
    annascott wrote: »
    This post is a good example of why I see much of the aversion to eating meat to be based on neurosis, rather than any rational choice.
    And do you think that morality is decided by the majority?
    I think you'll find it pretty much is. Morality may be dictated and/or enforced by elite groups in society, but ultimately morality is what is believed to be right or wrong by the majority of that society.

I don't think anyone has suggested that vegetarianism (or veganism) is morally wrong, btw.
    My basis for saying current levels of meat consumption in developed countries is wrong is because it is based on inhumane conditions for animals and is puts a huge strain on resources.
    Heh. Walt Disney has a lot to answer for.

I think you'll find it pretty much is. Morality may be dictated and/or enforced by elite groups in society, but ultimately morality is what is believed to be right or wrong by the majority of that society.
    This is not accurate. It is like saying that the truth is decided by the majority. It may be true in a relative sense but not in an absolute sense. Slavery was considered normal until it wasn't. Moral trends ebb and flow but reality remains. And the reality of the impacts of Western levels of meat consumption are not pretty.
    I don't think anyone has suggested that vegetarianism (or veganism) is morally wrong, btw.
    No, but the moral argument based on reality is being refuted by some sort of biological determinism argument, which I find extremely odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Well Put

We used to do a lot of things in order to get where we got today. Even though we still required nutrients that are easiest to get from meat, we don't need to get them from meat. Even if you completely forego all animal based products, the worst you will need is a pill or two to ensure you get everything. We don't need to eat meat.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I feel a little guilt from eating meat, and even considered becoming a vegetarian. But at the end of the day, I just can't make that jump. I hate vegetables, and am very much a meat eater.

Every single one? I hate nearly all vegetables and am still vegetarian. Besides fruits and breads (and whatever vegetables you can stand, even if its just baked beans and mashed potatoes) there are lots of processed vegetarian foods and imitation meats that have a big variety of tastes.

This post is a good example of why I see much of the aversion to eating meat to be based on neurosis, rather than any rational choice.

The poster may have presented some cognitive dissonance in her views on animals, but no different to the vast majority of meat eaters who consider cows fair game to be eaten, while horses or dogs are above such uses.

But what if a majority act counter to some general moral notion, but fail to recognise that because of cognitive dissonance? Does their actions become both moral and immoral at once? Or are they immoral, despite how many of them fail to see it?

• Advertisement

This is not accurate. It is like saying that the truth is decided by the majority. It may be true in a relative sense but not in an absolute sense. Slavery was considered normal until it wasn't. Moral trends ebb and flow but reality remains. And the reality of the impacts of Western levels of meat consumption are not pretty.
    What reality? We're discussing morality, not physics. The morality of slavery is not something one can measure empirically and arrive at any absolute 'truth'.

Ultimately morality in any society is what is accepted as 'conventional wisdom'. Naturally it differs from society to society or epoch to epoch, but until then, that's how it's defined until it and 'truth' is changed.
    No, but the moral argument based on reality is being refuted by some sort of biological determinism argument, which I find extremely odd.
    Why odd? It's hard evidence in one direction in the argument. While health and environmental data can act as hard evidence in the other direction.

I don't honestly think that anyone has suggested that vegetarianism is wrong, only that eating meat is not wrong.
    The poster may have presented some cognitive dissonance in her views on animals, but no different to the vast majority of meat eaters who consider cows fair game to be eaten, while horses or dogs are above such uses.
    Actually I think you'll find that her position is significantly more extreme, as demonstrated by the lengths she will go to avoid the psychological effects of her neurosis, in her lobster story.

Honestly, I find the increasing trend in 'humanization' of animals to be pretty ridiculous. I loved Bambi too as a kid, but as I grew older I also realized that Bambi tastes really good with a cream sauce, because this is where I am in the food chain.

And we can reject that role and natural inclination if we want to, but does it make sense? Not to me.
    But what if a majority act counter to some general moral notion, but fail to recognise that because of cognitive dissonance? Does their actions become both moral and immoral at once? Or are they immoral, despite how many of them fail to see it?
    Depends where you're standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Sleepy wrote: »
    Absolutely none. The vast, vast majority of the animals we eat have only come into existence for that purpose anyway. Could cows, sheep or chicken survive as wild species in the modern world? I don't think so tbh.

I'd be firmly in support of fishing quotas where they're based on protecting species from being over-fished and have stopped eating Cod for this reason. Were there a comparable situation with meat e.g. if Elephant meat was a "normal" thing to have in supermarkets, I wouldn't eat that either.

AFAIK, cows need to be milked regularly, so cows would never be able to survive in the wild.

What reality? We're discussing morality, not physics. The morality of slavery is not something one can measure empirically and arrive at any absolute 'truth'.

Ultimately morality in any society is what is accepted as 'conventional wisdom'. Naturally it differs from society to society or epoch to epoch, but until then, that's how it's defined until it and 'truth' is changed.
    True but by modern standards, most people would find the truth about the meat industry very immoral, it's just the same industry does a very good job of keeping that sort of information out of the public domain.
    Why odd? It's hard evidence in one direction in the argument. While health and environmental data can act as hard evidence in the other direction.
    Becuase the biological argument doesn't prove that we need to eat meat. There are no particular negative impacts from not eating meat, but I see a while host of them in the opposite direction. So I don't see the biological argument as particularly compelling either in terms of us 'needing' to eat meat, or in terms of somehow justifying any negative impacts (or even bothering to reduce consumptino/find more sustainable alternatives) because of that 'need'.
    I don't honestly think that anyone has suggested that vegetarianism is wrong, only that eating meat is not wrong.
    No but the point is discussions on the philosophical level are not very interesting. I have no objection to eating meat per se, my issue is with the impacts of what meat we eat and how much we eat it.
    Finnbar01 wrote: »
    AFAIK, cows need to be milked regularly, so cows would never be able to survive in the wild.
    Cows are domesticated and so in that sense, yes, they wouldn't be able to survive in the wild. However, the reason they have to be milked regularly is because they are kept pregnant pretty much the whole time they're alive. There is a big space between industrial dairy farming of today and the idea of letting cows run wild.

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    My understanding is that cows continue to produce milk because they continue to produce offspring (who are instead fed a substitute) and either slaughtered early on as veal, as adults or become dairy cows themselves. We could sterilize them, but then they'd stop producing milk.

Egg laying chickens produce eggs from about 20 weeks old and the quality begins to degrade from about 25 weeks. Typically they're slaughtered after a year as they are of little benefit as egg producers, despite the fact that they can live for several more years.

For the production of wool, slaughter is also required as a means of controlling animal numbers as sheep will birth between three to seven offspring per year. Sterilization could be an alternative solution however.

In all cases, without the slaughter for meat production purposes, the production of milk, wool and eggs would likely become prohibitively expensive. For example, the overheads for producing eggs would go from housing, feeding and caring for poultry that are productive for about six months of their one year life span (prior to slaughter), to housing, feeding and caring for poultry that are productive for about six months of their six year life span (prior to death by natural causes). Fancy paying €2 per egg in Tesco's?

Finally, given that all of these animals are domesticated - that is the product of thousands of years of selective breeding by humans - it is questionable that they would survive in the wild, not that there is much 'wild' left in the first place. Thus not farming them at all would likely doom them to extinction.

You can actually see this with horses; 120 years ago, horses would have been a common site on our streets - so common that in 1894, the Times grimly predicted that by 1950 every street in London would be buried in 9 feet of horse shìt. Then came the automobile and horse numbers declined drastically to a tiny fraction of what they were, the few remaining saved largely by our use of horses in sport, particularly racing, and spoilt middle-class girls.

Unfortunately pig racing never took off as a sport, so if we stopped eating them, they're more than likely to go the way of the Dodo, as beyond the products of slaughter (meat and hide), they have nothing to offer us.

So, if you do want us all to stop eating meat, then I would think about what the consequences of that may be.
    True but by modern standards, most people would find the truth about the meat industry very immoral, it's just the same industry does a very good job of keeping that sort of information out of the public domain.
    Thank you for your opinion. I would not agree with it. There; we both have opinions.
    Becuase the biological argument doesn't prove that we need to eat meat. There are no particular negative impacts from not eating meat, but I see a while host of them in the opposite direction. So I don't see the biological argument as particularly compelling either in terms of us 'needing' to eat meat, or in terms of somehow justifying any negative impacts (or even bothering to reduce consumptino/find more sustainable alternatives) because of that 'need'.
    I have repeatedly said we eat too much meat. But this does not imply that the solution is to stop eating meat - that is a logical fallacy.

Like it or not, we do realistically need to eat animal products for a healthy diet, otherwise we're essentially forced to take supplements - and when you have to do that, only an idiot would not begin to question the validity of their beliefs.

And while these animal products can be limited to eggs, dairy products and the like, as the above response explains, it's quite difficult to get away from the uncomfortable realities that come with animal husbandry and farming.
    No but the point is discussions on the philosophical level are not very interesting. I have no objection to eating meat per se, my issue is with the impacts of what meat we eat and how much we eat it.
    I would completely agree with how much meat we eat, but what meat? I presume you mean encourage people to eat healthier and more ecologically friendly meats? If so, absolutely.
    Cows are domesticated and so in that sense, yes, they wouldn't be able to survive in the wild.
    So are pigs, poultry, sheep and pretty much all common farm livestock. What do you expect after ten thousand years of farming?

Thank you for your opinion. I would not agree with it. There; we both have opinions.
    Of course we both have opinions: we're having a debate about something on an internet forum. What are you trying to say?
    I have repeatedly said we eat too much meat. But this does not imply that the solution is to stop eating meat - that is a logical fallacy.

Like it or not, we do realistically need to eat animal products for a healthy diet, otherwise we're essentially forced to take supplements - and when you have to do that, only an idiot would not begin to question the validity of their beliefs.

And while these animal products can be limited to eggs, dairy products and the like, as the above response explains, it's quite difficult to get away from the uncomfortable realities that come with animal husbandry and farming.
    Ah, I must have missed where you said we eat too much meat. That is also my view and I don't see the solution as stopping to eat meat either. But I can't agree with you that vegetarians have to take supplements. I'd like some evidence of this. On a purely anecdotal level, my boyfriend is vegetarian, takes no supplements and regularly runs marathons, donates blood and passes annual health checks with no issues.
    I would completely agree with how much meat we eat, but what meat? I presume you mean encourage people to eat healthier and more ecologically friendly meats? If so, absolutely.
    Well, I don't see unprocessed meat as unhealthy, but it would be better if people went for quality over quantity rather than vice versa!
    So are pigs, poultry, sheep and pretty much all common farm livestock. What do you expect after ten thousand years of farming?
    I see a difference between the forced impregnation of, say, Turkeys because they're not physically capable of doing so without human intervention any more, and keeping female animals pregnant throughout their adult life to ensure they lactate. That is something specific to the dairy industry.

Of course we both have opinions: we're having a debate about something on an internet forum. What are you trying to say?
    Having an opinion does not make it true and if that's all we rely upon in debate then we're really not going to get anywhere as my unsubstantiated opinion is just as good as your unsubstantiated opinion.
    But I can't agree with you that vegetarians have to take supplements.
    I never said that. I stated that "we do realistically need to eat animal products for a healthy diet, otherwise we're essentially forced to take supplements" and last time I checked vegetarians do eat animal products such as eggs and cheese. Vegans, who do not, tend to fall into the situation where they have to take supplements.
    Well, I don't see unprocessed meat as unhealthy, but it would be better if people went for quality over quantity rather than vice versa!
    No argument there. We eat too much meat, as a society, and poor quality meat at that.
    I see a difference between the forced impregnation of, say, Turkeys because they're not physically capable of doing so without human intervention any more, and keeping female animals pregnant throughout their adult life to ensure they lactate. That is something specific to the dairy industry.
    Makes little difference, in that if we eat less meat it will result in a cull. If we stop eating meat, then this will in many cases result in the extinction of some domesticated species. Hardly improves their lot, which does weaken the 'moral argument'.

Actually I think you'll find that her position is significantly more extreme, as demonstrated by the lengths she will go to avoid the psychological effects of her neurosis, in her lobster story.

What lengths? Releasing the lobsters? What about the lengths she went to appease social pressures? Eating meats she didn't want to? Why no word on the neurosis involved in that?
    Honestly, I find the increasing trend in 'humanization' of animals to be pretty ridiculous.

Its not humanisation of animals, its recognising that humans are not some magic level above animals. The justification for not eating each other applies to other animals too, we don't need to eat them and they don't want to be eaten, so why should we eat them?
    I loved Bambi too as a kid, but as I grew older I also realized that Bambi tastes really good with a cream sauce, because this is where I am in the food chain.

Since when are we uncontrollably subject to the food chain? Should we not care if people are eaten by wild animals, because thats where they where in the food chain at that moment? What has taste got to do with anything? Do you think cannibals eat people despite the taste of human flesh?
    And we can reject that role and natural inclination if we want to, but does it make sense? Not to me.

What role? The food chain is not some order that has come down from the heavens. The default position should not be that we eat meat, and any change is a rejection, The default should be the null hypothesis, because evolution is blind, with no intelligence directing it or mandating some outcome. The arguments should be based on what we need to do to fulfil the biological requirements we have and we don't need to eat meat, not from a nutrient point of view, not from a conservationalist point of view, not even from a taste point of view.
    Depends where you're standing.

Why?

So, if you do want us all to stop eating meat, then I would think about what the consequences of that may be.

The consequences would be that breeds of animals that we created merely to sustain our level of consumption would no longer exist, this would not effect the current number of wild breeds of cows, chickens, pigs, horses etc., so I don't see the issue.

That is a logical fallacy, Just because we may need supplements doesn't mean we wouldn't be healthy. The supplements would satisfy our biological needs for certain nutrients, so what is the problem?

This silliness is what I was afraid of...
    What lengths? Releasing the lobsters? What about the lengths she went to appease social pressures? Eating meats she didn't want to? Why no word on the neurosis involved in that?
    I think there's plenty of neurosis in every direction there, but certainly her rejection of meat for purely psychological reasons (guilt) is a pretty blatent one.
    Its not humanisation of animals, its recognising that humans are not some magic level above animals. The justification for not eating each other applies to other animals too, we don't need to eat them and they don't want to be eaten, so why should we eat them?
    Humans are above other animals; it's called the food chain and we're essentially at the apex.

Of course we can fall foul of it too (and unless cremated, eventually do), but that's life. Of course we can pretend there is no food chain and we're all equal, in which case I suggest you take a swim in some shark infested waters and see if the sharks share your view - they should be able to seeing as we're not above them in any way.

And I've already pointed out how it is quite unnatural to engage in cannibalism and how it is rare in mammals, but you appear to be ignoring that. You seem obsessed with this straw man.
    What role? The food chain is not some order that has come down from the heavens.
    I never said it was; but 'blind' or not, evolution is why we are how we are. But shall we go against other natural inclinations? Embrace asexuality perhaps? Let's stop sleeping maybe? Or do you have to feel guilty about something first before you try something like that?
    Why?
    So you believe in absolute moral truths? Did a burning bush tell you that?
    The consequences would be that breeds of animals that we created merely to sustain our level of consumption would no longer exist, this would not effect the current number of wild breeds of cows, chickens, pigs, horses etc., so I don't see the issue.
    LOL. So farming them for meat is immoral, but facilitating their genocide is not. :D
    That is a logical fallacy, Just because we may need supplements doesn't mean we wouldn't be healthy. The supplements would satisfy our biological needs for certain nutrients, so what is the problem?
    It's idiotic is the reason.

It's like someone who refuses to go out into sunlight for purely ideological (or more likely psychological) reasons and thus has to take vitamin D supplements. Certainly they can do that instead of getting their vitamin D the way they were designed to, but they'd also frankly be idiots.

I have no objection to someone not eating meat because they genuinely do not like it. Or for health reasons. But because of guilt? Please.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Meat is a necessity to feel your best and to be as healthy as possible.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/paleo-diet-research/#axzz21zwlnq2D

Advertisement