Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best cable for laptop to amp?

• 23-04-2012 11:55am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

I looking to get a cable to connect my laptop to my onkyo 605 amp for music. What is the best cable I can get for music quality?
    My laptop has a HDMI and 2 free usb 3.0 ports. My amp doesnt have any HDMI ports free but has an S-Video, video, L-R Audio and a Digital connection on the front of it. There are aload of connetions on the back of it, too many to mention but here is a link to a picture http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/onkyo_tx_sr605_rear.jpg

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You could buy something like this and a set of rca cables connected to a set of the inputs on the Onkyo:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-UCA202-U-Control-low-latency-Interface/dp/B000KW2YEI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1335197761&sr=8-4

Alternatively, if the laptop has a headphone output, you could just get a 3.5mm headphone plug to RCA cable for very little and try that first and see if the sound quality is satisfactory. I suspect you would find it would be, unless the audio section of your laptop was botched. This would be your cheapest option.

I don't know if the HDMI output would carry audio if no video is present - such as when just playing an MP3 - if so - an HDMI cable might be the way to go as that would output digital audio and use the D/A converter in the Onkyo, which might be audibly better than the laptop's D/A converter, though I doubt it.

Personally I just use option 2 to connect my iPod or phone to my HiFi. A lot less cumbersome than a laptop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

cnocbui wrote: »
    You could buy something like this and a set of rca cables connected to a set of the inputs on the Onkyo:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-UCA202-U-Control-low-latency-Interface/dp/B000KW2YEI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1335197761&sr=8-4

Alternatively, if the laptop has a headphone output, you could just get a 3.5mm headphone plug to RCA cable for very little and try that first and see if the sound quality is satisfactory. I suspect you would find it would be, unless the audio section of your laptop was botched. This would be your cheapest option.

I don't know if the HDMI output would carry audio if no video is present - such as when just playing an MP3 - if so - an HDMI cable might be the way to go as that would output digital audio and use the D/A converter in the Onkyo, which might be audibly better than the laptop's D/A converter, though I doubt it.

Personally I just use option 2 to connect my iPod or phone to my HiFi. A lot less cumbersome than a laptop.

yeah I tryed connecting the headphone plug to the amp and it worked fine, the audio quality was good although my speakers are good quality. Would I lose some quality by playing music this way? I would buy that usb connector if it improved the quality a bit.

I don't think you would lose any quality, because I personally don't think there is much, if any, audible difference between well implemented DA converters - though a lot of people would disagree with me.

If you have a CD player - rip a track off it as a WAV and play the WAV from the laptop using the headphone socket and compare the result with playing the original track off the CD. Make sure you adjust the volume so each time you a playing the track it is at as exactly the same volume level each time, otherwise whichever is loudest - if only slightly - will sound better just because it is louder.

That should tell you if the headphone output solution is good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

headphone to rca connectors should be fine i have used it and sound quality is exellent

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

dharn wrote: »
    headphone to rca connectors should be fine i have used it and sound quality is exellent

+1 A 3.5mm jack to RCA left and right plugs is what you need. A laptop isn't designed to provide high quality audio so throwing money at fancy cables won't improve the signal.

533_audio.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

What make/model is the laptop ? It might have SPDIF capabilities through one of it's outputs.

Another option is to use an external audio adaptor via USB that has a digital/optical output. Creative Labs and Turtlebeach do decent units.

Of course that all depends on what level of quality you're after. Personally I find audio outputs on computers to be very wooly at the bass end with poor definition on the high end.

Ken

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

I don't think you would lose any quality, because I personally don't think there is much, if any, audible difference between well implemented DA converters - though a lot of people would disagree with me.

it's not the D?A as much as the crappy headphone amp connected to the d/a. when you can start to hear noise in your headphones when you maximize/minimize windows, then you know how bad laptop audio can be

Windows??

Not I. :)

The sound output from my Macbook Pro is pretty good.

ZENER wrote: »
    What make/model is the laptop ? It might have SPDIF capabilities through one of it's outputs.

Another option is to use an external audio adaptor via USB that has a digital/optical output. Creative Labs and Turtlebeach do decent units.

Of course that all depends on what level of quality you're after. Personally I find audio outputs on computers to be very wooly at the bass end with poor definition on the high end.

Ken

Dell XPS 15

Just to let ye know im happy with the headphone out connection, quality is very good.

Windows??

I'll back my HRT Streamer II against it any day. :)

course that's only a dac

• Advertisement

NinjaK wrote: »
    Dell XPS 15

Just to let ye know im happy with the headphone out connection, quality is very good.

problem solved then, you ave your answer, if you're happy why bother going further, get the 3,5mm to twin phono recommended above

A quick look at the XPS specs shows that some of them have a SPDIF connection. Being digital it should be a lot cleaner than the analogue output too ! What CPU does the XPS have ?

You know, providing as much info as possible before asking a question is usually a good idea ?! At least until mind reading becomes genetic !

Ken

Windows??

The MacBook Pro also has optical outputs on the 3.5mm jacks. A very useful feature too !!

Ken

A quick look at the XPS specs shows that some of them have a SPDIF connection. Being digital it should be a lot cleaner than the analogue output too ! What CPU does the XPS have ?

You know, providing as much info as possible before asking a question is usually a good idea ?! At least until mind reading becomes genetic !

Ken

yeah thats the one I use, I didnt know anything about spdif before you mentioned it! It looks the same as the headphone jack and has a pic of headphones above it, says spdif below it though.
    Its got a core i5 Ken.

yeah thats the one I use, I didnt know anything about spdif before you mentioned it! It looks the same as the headphone jack and has a pic of headphones above it, says spdif below it though.
    Its got a core i5 Ken.

That's very strange, SPDIF is a digital signal, your amp. has two such sockets to take what's commonly known as digital co-ax, the two sockets below them are for digital optical. Headphones take analog so the socket has to be one or the other, it can't be both.

You can see it here, its the middle one

238830-dell-xps-15-right.jpg

You never mentioned that you have two headphone sockets, clearly one is analog and the other digital.

You need to check the specs. for your laptop because that output is either digital co-ax or optical, I think it's probably optical in which case you need an optical (Toslink) cable plus a mini-Toslink adapter.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK#Mini-TOSLINK

This might be what you need, I have never dealt with this vendor so this is not an endorsement...

http://www.lindy.ie/cables/audio-video/optical-audio-spdif/toslink-to-mini-optical/

However you'd probably be better off buying an adapter and a standard optical cable as separate items, that way you can reuse the cable for TV or Blu-Ray to the amp. so I'd buy one of these cables depending on what length suits your setup....

http://www.lindy.ie/cables/audio-video/optical-audio-spdif/toslink/

and the Toslink to mini-Toslink adapter...

http://www.lindy.ie/mini-optical-to-toslink-converter/70413.html

Do not waste money on any of those 'premium' cables, an optical signal is a series of light pulses which is in no way affected by magnetic fields so any optical cable will do.

For comparson purposes, I bought a standard 2m optical cable for about €13 in Harvey Normans.

coylemj wrote: »
    You never mentioned that you have two headphone sockets, clearly one is analog and the other digital.

not so clearly i would expect, i'm typing this on a dell studio 17, it has two headphone outputs, both are analog only, neither does double duty as an optical output

mossym wrote: »
    not so clearly i would expect, i'm typing this on a dell studio 17, it has two headphone outputs, both are analog only, neither does double duty as an optical output

The OP's second headphone socket says 'SPDIF' which has to be digital.

The OP's second headphone socket says 'SPDIF' which has to be digital.

you have better eye sight than me..:)

• Advertisement

you have better eye sight than me..:)

No that good, the OP told us...

No that good, the OP told us...

true..had to go back and read everything properly, then noticed something else... your comment that the port can't be both analog and digital, isn't right.

it's possible to have both. the creative soundblaster pcmcia had a dual function port, it is a standard analog headphone port, plug in a pair of headphones workes fine, it has the 3 internal metal connectors for HP. however, the back of the port is an optical transmitter, and if you plug in a mini toslink, the plastic shield ignores the headphone metal connectors. and the exposed tip receives the optical signal.

i've seen that on a few ports. you can see a picture of the port on this page
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-X-Fi-Xtreme-Audio-Notebook_Peripheral_review

you can even see one fo the metal connectors for the standard headphone connector

so quite normal for a port to be both analog and digital

MacBook Pros have had analogue/digital outputs since their release so it's not uncommon. If your amp has an optical input then this is definitely the preferred choice for audio output to your amplifier OP.

Ken

MacBook Pros have had analogue/digital outputs since their release so it's not uncommon. If your amp has an optical input then this is definitely the preferred choice for audio output to your amplifier OP.

Ken

yes it has an optical input on the front. Will this cable make an actual audible difference over what I already got?

yes it has an optical input on the front, could you tell me what cable I need so?

the one coylemj already linked you to. mini-toslink to toslink

Well I got the lead today in maplin http://www.maplin.co.uk/digital-audio-optical-lead-44245 It came with 2 converters and it doesnt work, getting no sound from it. I tried alot of different combinations and nothing, so unless one of ye can solve the problem by tomorrow its going back.

i don't think any of us are going to be too bothered if its fixed by tomorrow or not, you're the only one it affects.

did you tell windows to use the spdif output as the default audio output?

Ive noticed that it doesnt say SPDIF on the cable box, unlike the cable above http://www.lindy.ie/5m-spdif-digital-optical-cable-toslink-to-mini-optical/35224.html
    Could that be the problem? I told the man in Maplin about it and he said it would work.
    did you tell windows to use the spdif output as the default audio output?

No I didnt do anything, I presumed it would just pick it up like it does for my other cable.

Ive noticed that it doesnt say SPDIF on the cable box, unlike the cable above http://www.lindy.ie/5m-spdif-digital-optical-cable-toslink-to-mini-optical/35224.html
    Could that be the problem? I told the man in Maplin about it and he said it would work.

No I didnt do anything, I presumed it would just pick it up like it does for my other cable.

digital audio cable you linked to is an SPDIF cable, SPDIF can be either optical or dig coax but the cable you have is fine.

go into control panels, go into sound and audio devices, make the spdif output the default output. if you can do that, and still no sound, the problem is likely on the amp side and you haven't assigned the optical input you are using to the correct input on the amp

• Advertisement

digital audio cable you linked to is an SPDIF cable, SPDIF can be either optical or dig coax but the cable you have is fine.

go into control panels, go into sound and audio devices, make the spdif output the default output. if you can do that, and still no sound, the problem is likely on the amp side and you haven't assigned the optical input you are using to the correct input on the amp

I dont see the option to make it the default.

Advertisement