Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Creating a Privacy statement?

• 18-01-2012 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking to create a privacy statement for my website.I know it has to be site specific and from researching here i see that cut and paste is not an option.

I'm not sure if i could actually write on up myself considering how exact it would have to be. Is their a service out there that may do this for a business?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You're really going to want to talk to a lawyer about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭VMotion

Absolutely not necessary to go to solicitor.
    There are TRUSTe products that cost under €100 and once you pay for it, it gives you a self-accessing query on what type of information you collect from your visitors/customers and then produces a privacy policy like this one

Sorry for posting ours but don't have other on hand.

It takes about 10-15 minutes and you are all set. And yes, it is country specific.

Let me know if you need any further help/info on that.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cycletheroad

VMotion wrote: »
    There are TRUSTe products that cost under €100 and once you pay for it, it gives you a self-accessing query on what type of information you collect from your visitors/customers and then produces a privacy policy like this one

Sorry for posting ours but don't have other on hand.

It takes about 10-15 minutes and you are all set. And yes, it is country specific.

Let me know if you need any further help/info on that.

Thank you.

I was wondering that ok.....i would appreciate if you could give me more info ok, i have pmmed my e mail to you. Thanks very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

As long as the full implications and requirements for compliance are understood. I still wouldn't recommend an automatically generated legal document though.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

VMotion wrote: »
    That's too broad a statement for anyone to agree with it. It depends on the type of site and how important the legal compliance is for their target market and industry (in most cases I agree it's not required, but "absolutely not necessary" is a bit too far).

As an example, your site illegally placed a non essential cookie on my machine (without express permission) which is a breach of the Irish implementation of the EU cookie directive.

In your case this probably isn't a concern, but for some sites it could be and if they want to be aware of these issues they'll probably require professional help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭calerbass

So what would a solicitor charge?.....considering they are experts on charging:D

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

calerbass wrote: »
    So what would a solicitor charge?.....considering they are experts on charging:D
    I guess it depends what you're asking them to do, how much time it takes them to do it (how familiar they are with this area and the industry) and how hands on you've been yourself.

I got my solicitor to just 'once over' mine. He had it reviewed and returned within about 20 minutes. He hadn't changed anything important (I'm sure he didn't understand most of the technical content, but that's part of my area so had that covered well), but had reworked some of the legal jargon I'd been afraid to touch and made it far more readable and understandable.

For that he didn't charge a cent, but we do service swaps for most of our fees in either direction and have an extremely friendly working arrangement. Sorry, not really helpful, but wanted to ensure it didn't look like I was ignoring the query.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The IIA has one that you can adapt which is based on Irish law

Be careful with any of the US ones as they aren't based on Irish / EU law, so they could cause you headaches

Advertisement