Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WordPress Help

Options
  • 22-12-2011 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hi

What i would like to know is can i edit a wordpress site in dreamweaver?

and if so could someone give me some steps to get started, i dont know much about php.

but i set up the testing with XAMPP ok but thats it dont know what not when i put the site in dreamweaver in design view i cant see the site

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

You wont be able to see most of it because its all coded in php and dynamically fills in the content from the database in the form of posts pages. Its not like editing a static site made in html where you can swap to design view and see how the code will look. If you know html and css you can change the layout and design of it and checking the changes on the live site you have running via xampp but if you arent too familair with html,css and php then it wont be too easy. It really depends on how much you are tying to change or what you are trying to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Axwell wrote: »
    You wont be able to see most of it because its all coded in php and dynamically fills in the content from the database in the form of posts pages. Its not like editing a static site made in html where you can swap to design view and see how the code will look. If you know html and css you can change the layout and design of it and checking the changes on the live site you have running via xampp but if you arent too familair with html,css and php then it wont be too easy. It really depends on how much you are tying to change or what you are trying to do.

Dreamweaver CS5 allows you to use the WYSIWYG editer and see what you are actually doing to a wordpress theme in near to real time.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭nager

Have you tried logging in through the admin panel in wordpress?
    You can change any code for the layouts there easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

you'll need to install wordpress locally,
    Apache[essentially the 'server' php runs on] comes with Mac, so i installed wordpress locally but with a remote server. I think xampp allows you to create local Databases too, once you are running Wordpress locally, you can download a simple theme like Sandbox : http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/sandbox

theme reside in wordpress_dir/wp-content/themes/themename

this folder will contain all your theme files, once wordpress is configured to the 'sandbox' theme, any changes you make to the themes php/css files, will reflect as you edit them.

see directory structure attached, and the site behind it [access locally]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Steveorevo

You can edit the theme files that dictate the look and feel of the WordPress site.

Check out DesktopServer for WordPress. It's a spin on XAMPP optimized for WordPress and Dreamweaver (its the only one so far).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 webcrest

wp site can not be treated like custom sites.

If you use DesktopServer you can actually open any theme file and work on it directly and get WYSIWYG in LiveView, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bCTbjoBWa8#t=3m55s

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Sounds very complex. I wouldn't edit theme files with Dreamweaver.

If I had to, I'd save a page out as a single static HTML page, make changes to that, then backport the delta to the theme files - less risk of the WYSIWYG components ruining the theme code.

NOT being complex, avoiding backporting and time wasting is the purpose of such tools. When they don't live up to their claim, they can't justify the price and people complain. Granted I remember a whole heck of a lot of complaints with Dreamweaver in the early days, and some not so early!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Steveorevo wrote: »
    NOT being complex, avoiding backporting and time wasting is the purpose of such tools. When they don't live up to their claim, they can't justify the price and people complain. Granted I remember a whole heck of a lot of complaints with Dreamweaver in the early days, and some not so early!

I agree with you on avoiding backporting - but I'd avoid it by not using Dreamweaver :)

• Advertisement

LOL. My favorite editor has to support xdebug and code folding. While my love hate relationship with Dw has turned around (for now) with this new third party make-up-for-dw's suckiness, Netbeans is still my fav. Dw is now nice for theme design, but aside from that... meh.

Speaking of which, Netbeans 7.1 is out. Hopefully it will still be my choice editor. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Can I recommend Aptana Studio 3 for editing live wordpress sites. Have been using it over a year now through work and can't fault it one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭VMotion

I'm not 100% sure that topic-starter is referring to theme editing. He is asking about "edit a wordpress site in dreamweaver". Using dreamweaver is kind of defeating the purpose of having wordpress in the first instance.
    It would be great if TS could elaborate on what exactly he wants to edit with dreamweaver.

Dreamweaver and WordPress are two different things. One uses Dreamweaver to design XHTML or WordPress themes, and WordPress is a type of CMS. More like stationary design tool and a typewriter. In this case, WordPress is the typewriter and Dreamweaver is just a tool to design the stationary that can optionally be fed into it.

Advertisement