Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First road bike, first ride

• 13-07-2014 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I bought my first road bike yesterday, a Merida scultura 900.
    My first impressions are very good, it is light enough, quite comfy and gear changes are smooth and silky.
    it has the shimano claris 8 speed 23m maxxis reuler tyres and a carbon fork.
    today on my first ride I was very impressed.
    I cycled 80k in 2hours 30mins dead and most was either flat or uphill.
    my average speed was 31kph and max was 73.9.
    what should I be aiming to improve to, I dont feel I was pushing myself As I was getting used to drop bars and I find it very to pace myself. any help greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭G1032

For a recreational cyclist you set a very fast pace I think.

I've no real idea about what speed you'd need for racing in Ireland but from what I'm told it's more about reacting to changes in pace than average speed per say. There are plenty around here who'll tell you what speeds you'll need for racing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

G1032 wrote: »
    Well Xxxxxx won today's stage of TDF with an average of 40+ km/hr.

For a recreational cyclist you set a very fast pace I think.

I've no real idea about what speed you'd need for racing in Ireland but from what I'm told it's more about reacting to changes in pace than average speed per say. There are plenty around here who'll tell you what speeds you'll need for racing

You couldn't have used spoiler tags for the first piece of information by any chance? I have today's stage recorded to watch after the World Cup final:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JPWOctane

Cheers G1032. I needed to hear that from you.

OP, that sounds quick. Keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭G1032

veetwin wrote: »
    You couldn't have used spoiler tags for the first piece of information by any chance? I have today's stage recorded to watch after the World Cup final:mad:

Sorry. Never thought. I'll remove it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

JPWOctane wrote: »
    Cheers G1032. I needed to hear that from you.

OP, that sounds quick. Keep it up!

Thanks for the feedback

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭steve-o

Now it's your quote that's doing the spoiling!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

steve-o wrote: »
    Now it's your quote that's doing the spoiling!

Fixed:o

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

indeed :-(((

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Have you been cycling before you bought the bike? How long has it been since you last cycled?

If this was you first cycle in years then to be able to do 80km for a start, let alone average of 31kph seems very fast.

For example, I am cycling nearly two years, albeit I dont race but my average speed is only about 27kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I think my first ride was less than 10k and probably maxed out around 30Kmh and averaged about 20!
    Good effort

• Advertisement

logik wrote: »
    Have you been cycling before you bought the bike? How long has it been since you last cycled?

If this was you first cycle in years then to be able to do 80km for a start, let alone average of 31kph seems very fast.

For example, I am cycling nearly two years, albeit I dont race but my average speed is only about 27kph.

I started about 2 months ago on a hybrid and quickly got into cycling, as Rugby season is off atm it seems like a good way to keep me fit.
    thnaks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Seems like you're a natural. You say you're a rugby player so I'm guessing you're a big lad by cycling standards who can output a lot of power. 31kph over 80k is plenty quick. You say your route was mostly either flat or uphill - was it a loop (in which case the up and down have to be exactly equal!) or a point-to-point in which case the wind direction wold be a huge factor.

What to improve depends on what you want to do. Race or sportif? If you're looking to do sportifs, then work on upping the distance and building endurance. If you want to race you might look at more structured training; doing short bursts of high intensity and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭cuculainn

codrulz wrote: »
    I cycled 80k in 2hours 30mins dead and most was either flat or uphill.
    my average speed was 31kph and max was 73.9.

a max speed of 73.9 on a flat or uphill course.....impressive, and ballsy if you are just getting used to the drops

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

2:30@31kmh is 77.5km not 80. Do you have a Strava or Map my ride link? Not questioning you, just curious to see if there may be some inaccuracies with your calculations or equipment

smurphy29 wrote: »
    Seems like you're a natural. You say you're a rugby player so I'm guessing you're a big lad by cycling standards who can output a lot of power. 31kph over 80k is plenty quick. You say your route was mostly either flat or uphill - was it a loop (in which case the up and down have to be exactly equal!) or a point-to-point in which case the wind direction wold be a huge factor.

What to improve depends on what you want to do. Race or sportif? If you're looking to do sportifs, then work on upping the distance and building endurance. If you want to race you might look at more structured training; doing short bursts of high intensity and so forth.

its a loop, which is mostly flat or uphill except I live ontop of a very steep hill I descend at the start of my loop from 290asl to 140asl, this is where I hit 73.9 kph.
    I am interested in doing both races and sportifs and I can only imagine doing both would benefit me more?
    how often do you go cycling and how often do you recommend going cycling?
    cheers.
    cuculainn wrote: »
    a max speed of 73.9 on a flat or uphill course.....impressive, and ballsy if you are just getting used to the drops
    hahaha cheers I reached 73.9 on the only downhill though :o
    I'm fairly happy with my stats, as it was my first ride and I'm only going to get braver :P
    Daroxtar wrote: »
    2:30@31kmh is 77.5km not 80. Do you have a Strava or Map my ride link? Not questioning you, just curious to see if there may be some inaccuracies with your calculations or equipment

well it wasnt 31kph avg dead.
    I can't remeber now what it as but it was roughly 79.9... with an avg of 31.3 or .4?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

I once cycled so fast that on my way back I saw myself heading out and I gave myself a high five.

Advertisement